Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It looks like it could be announced as early as today please God. First item on the agenda has to be sacking Bruce after that removing all sports direct tat from the ground immediately and after that repairing all the damage Ashley has done to the structure of the club academy facilities scouting lack of DOF etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Absolutely, Bruce is more of a liability than anything else and is only there because he's Ashleys man & cheap, certainly not for his competence as a manager.

Remove all and any association with Sports Direct permanently from the stadium.

Identify one or two signings in the January transfer window that will strengthen our bid to survive this season. Preferably at least two solid defenders, we've conceded the joint most goals in the Pl this season already.

Even without the signings, I can see us surviving now, there'll be a good feeling around the club for the rest of the season now that parasite Cashley has been removed.

I personally think we need a CM CF and CB to survive comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

again, I struggle to believe it, I really want to and am holding back but we have been let down so many times.

IF it does happen we can't go mad on spending and need to remain within financial fair play.

so the first few years will be a building process

What I read before is they want to give the city and more importantly the Stadium and Training ground a re vamp.

We need a state of the art training ground, like the one we were promised when FCB came here first, like the one Benitez was promised when he signed.

The facilities and youth team are dirt, everything has to be peeled back and start from the foundations.

If this happens then the above can be a huge success, the next Michael Carrick should not have to go to West Ham, the North East needs this take over.

The FFP is a paper tiger just look at Citeh they bought Grealish for 100 mil and can't even fill their ground and also ironically because of Ashleys miserly ways we can afford a 190 mil loss in our first year but I agree with you re: facilities and youth teams acadamies etc no more Carrick to West Ham no more Shearer to Southampton etc even Bobby Clark recently sold to Liverpool was a disgrace.

Very true, just look at psg and how easily they are able to find ways to circumvent FFP. FFP is an absolute joke, the very rich clubs have shown this many times.

In saying that, I would agree with the above, I'd like to see proper investment in our facilities and stadium, youth & see where we can go from there. A few decent quality signings wouldnt do any harm either😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Keith Downie has reported that the shares are transferred, the Ashley era is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

The new Man City?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The countdown on Steve Bruce being sacked has begun. Will be very interesting to see the level of coach they can attract. You might not be able to bring the top players to the NE of England for a while but you do often hear top coaches talk about wanting a project and surely someone decent would like to get in on the ground floor on a project with such backing.

What a difference a day makes, before you would have been wondering who else would happily accept the conditions Bruce works under now I am sure the likes of Conte (not saying you will bring him in) will probably start being linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks official. The premier league has issued a statement here.

Says "Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect."

and "The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club."

Hopefully the begging of some long awaited success for the club.

• Advertisement

It seems legit... he is gone, the deal is done!

im over the **** moon, a new Era for the club, staff and city.

I was meant to go to the spurs game with my little one ( hotel booked ) but she said no so I left it and cancelled the hotel. im sick over it now.

I eventually got online and somehow purchased the last remaining ticket in the stadium, Flights are gone bananas the past few weeks but ill find a route.

I can't not be there for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Well considering the new owners have ten times as much money behind them as City’s owners they will not be happy if the club isn’t challenging for honours in next 4 or 5 years.

They will probably bring in a steady manager to get them out of relegation trouble and buy 3 or 4 good players in January to insure they stay up this Season.

Can see the likes of Donny Van de Beeks agent on the phone to Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I know I was completely against the Saudis taking over due to their applying human rights records but damn it’s so satisfying to be rid of Ashley and that muppet Bruce.

Pity Ronaldo and Messi are coming to the end of their careers , would have loved to have seen this happen 5 years ago.

The immediate priority has to be a new manager and 3-4 first team players bought in January I see a certain Stevie G is favourite to take over and rumours that Conte said no because he thinks he will get an established top 4 job soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Whatever you feel about the new owners, isn't it fcuking fantastic that the fat controller has finally gone to focus on what really matters to him!

Conte has always said he likes a challenge & a big project. He couldnt get any better than this, with money to spend too which he likes. If he doesnt go for this, then we know he's full of it. Steven Gerrard, Brendan Rodgers or Eddie Howe wouldnt be the worst in the world. Stabilize the club & get us up at the other end of the table again where we can then hopefully attract a world class manager and high profile players.

But yes, Id agree, its just great to be rid of that parasite more than anything else, didnt matter who took over, it couldn't have been worse than him.

In terms of players Id like to see us sign in January, I think John McGinn of villa, Ivan Toney of Brentford, Zaha of CP, Conor Coady of wolves, Keith Duffy of Brighton. Id be delighted with that and they wouldnt cost huge money either. Shore up the defence, give us some great grit in the centre of midfield, give of us some creativity going forward & a former striker of ours who has done the business for the last two seasons now with Brentford.

I feel Jones will get the gig till June. Then go for a decent manager like the ones mentioned above.

I just hope those in charge aren't clueless when we get the Marquee manager and it's not a Sven or pellegrini irk.

We need to be reasonable. We are a tier C club so we need to raid these clubs and start picking up performances.

Those signings above make sense although think Keith Duffy is touring with Boyzone so might not sign haha

I'd add to that

Tarkowski off Burnley

Jiminez from wolves

Sarr from Watford

Ward prowse (maybe even armstrong) Southampton

Lol, yah, I keep getting confused for some reason. Those players you mentioned would be solid additions too. Thats all we need in the Jan transfer window, some solid players who ensure we stay up, then we can find a proper manager in the summer & make some proper signings. The first I have to say in a very long time I've been excited to be a Newcastle fan, if we could get top 6 next season, I'd be delighted, thats what we should be aiming for.

For me a european spot may be too far ( is that 7 teams now? with the new conference league) but its not out of reach.

A happy season for me is stability and not worrying about what's below but chasing what's above

a top 10 finish and a league cup semi final. Id give anything to go on a cup run.

Again it all depends on the summer and not even if we can afford our targets but what mercenaries will come to us.

first thing I want seen is the training ground blown to smithereens

Remember the photos of embarrassment a few years ago when the lads were in blown up swimming pools and wheelie bins for a plunge pool

our training ground is on par with mid championship clubs.

Separately the lads controlling the social media have been unchained, seems they can post what they like compared to the dictatorship they were under, its a great sight. Dont be surprised if they post a video of the sports direct signs coming down!!

Post edited by fitzparker on

• Advertisement

Staveley has already said the training ground is a disgrace and that huge improvements will be made there she mentioned that's one area they can pump unlimited money into as FFP doesn't apply.

On the footballing side Bruce must be sacked immediately he's a stain on our proud club and he must never be associated with it again our worst ever permanent manager and a truly hateful human being. It seems our first signing is rumoured to be Tarkowski from Burnley he'd be our best CB without a doubt.

I'd say realistically we need 4 first teamers signed in January just to get out of the sh1t we are in thanks to Bruce and Ashley we need to just stay up this year and then really invest in the summer and kick on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I would expect a higher calibre of player than Shane Duffy. Wouldn't even have wanted him under the old regime.

Tarkowski would be a superb signing.

A right back, left back and proper central midfielder is where i'd be looking to strengthen intially. Also another option up front but if we can keep Wilson fit then he is more than suitable for the next year or 2.

What is a higher calibre that we can get? sure we can get anyone in the world but it has to be done in phases, we cant get some lad in January on 150k Per week when you have Fernandez along side him on 20k

I would take Duffy, he would easily start for us ( but so would 90% of CB in the league)

Right back im not to pushed on (especially if we play 3 CB) Murphy and manquillo can do a job but id say we can tempt Tripper away from Athletico

CB, Striker, CM, Right sided midfield

If we are just talking premier league, remember its a world cup year so people will be wanting first team football, I know some have been mentioned:

CB - Tarkowski,Konza (Villa),Duffy, Ake (city) ,Bailly (united), Coady (wolves)

MF- Trossard (brighton), Sarr, ward prowse, Ruben neves, van de beek, John Mcginn (scottish so be an easy move closer to home)

Striker - I do think Wilson can 100% do the job but - Jimenez, Origi (maybe)

All the above would be available for decent prices, if we can get 3 or 4 (Van de beek on loan is even a possibility as NUFC will pay 100% wages)

If we want this Marquee singing which we will pay through the ear for my selection would be:

Rice, Kalvin Phillips, koulibaly (CB from Napoli), Draxler ( (PSG)always being spoke about a move), Mousa Dembele, Jude Bellingham, Tadic, De Vrij

Bar the english players, the other could be got at a reasonable price.

Bruce must be sacked immediately he's a stain on our proud club and he must never be associated with it again ... and a truly hateful human being.

This is possibly the most ironic statement ever seen on boards soccer given that MBS (PIF chairman who own 80%) has just taken over the club

Steve Bruce vs the murderer (and much more) MBS - yeah right.

Black day for the premiership that such utter scum and their sports-washing blood money have been allowed in.

Really? hadn't heard that there's been nothing in the news about I retract my statement and bow to you oh moral and virtous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ah ya have to see the humour in being so scornful and vitriolic about the character of a fella who is ultimately just a guy, while a big-bad hangs over it all...

Like, it's one thing to say he's not good enough and should be replaced - absolutely right - but once you get into judging the character of the guy with words like hateful and 'stain', then ya kinda leave yourself open to comparisons with another character at the club...

• Advertisement

Shane Duffy is a Championship level defender. I wouldn't have him over any of our current centre backs which says a lot cus most of them are poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

He's head and shoulders above Clark, and he's deadly in the air from set pieces. I would definitely have him. Wouldn't be a bad option on the bench either.

Nonsense, Brighton have conceded only 5 goals since the start of the pl whereas we have conceded 16, and you wouldn't have him over our current defenders???? This is not mentioning the fact he's very good at scoring from set pieces, hes a solid decent defender & is exactly what we need. Also, hes a good character to have in the dressing room.

Feck off with your virtue signalling, I guess you're a liverpool fan right? A bit worried we might take your place in the top four I see. Don't see you complaining about Nike & their child labour/sweatshop practices??

I didn't make the comment, I just replied to the reply. It's a direct comparison about the perception of two lads at the same club, and it's a bit of a funny one. I mean, even aside from the bigger politics of it all, it's obviously funny to be calling one lad at the club a hateful stain, while another lad at the club is a literal genocidal murderer - the distinction obviously being that the latter fella is minted.

The less said about the 'yer all just jealous' argument the better though.

• Advertisement

No different than the differing opinions at your own club, plenty of different opinions here, makes it all the more interesting, I don't think fans of the top 6 clubs are in any position to question the Newcastle takeover or the human rights history of their owners. Through your own sponsorship (whom have committed many human rights violations of their own) & support for a breakaway European super league (which would have destroyed premier league football), it would be a bit hypocritical to start having a go at Newcastle. Don't be getting worried now your own position in the Pl's elite might be under threat especially with your tight arse American owners.

My point is it would be just the same as if I said "I'm delighted we've left New Balance, I don't like their labour policy", when obviously that's a comically dumb thing to say since Nike's is definitely worse. So in this case the funny thing is this vitriolic emotive abuse thrown at one fella at the club, using specific words that are clearly much more suited to another fella at a time when the latter fella is especially high profile. It just is what it is, it's clearly a funny twist on expectation (even if unintentional, or maybe moreso with the lack of self-awareness in saying it).

Sure how and ever, it seemed fairly clear.

People have serious issues with Bruce, & understandably so, he's probably been our worst manager in history & has stayed there primarily to pick up a paycheck & get paid off handsomely which I understand now is to the tune of 8m. He was happy to be Ashley's patsy as long as he was well paid & its irritating considering he considers himself a proud Geordie. If he was one, he would have stepped aside long ago in protest just as Keegan did who isnt even a geordie.

As for the new owner, I doubt anyone on this thread thinks he's an Angel of any sort but maybe look at your own club first before having a go at Newcastle's new owners. If you look deep enough, you'll find plenty of human rights violations there too no doubt.

You don't have a clue what your talking about. I suppose you think Yemen is an area of peace & not one of continuous terrorist training. I dont see you protesting about the fact that America has killed many millions more & also is more than happy to supply Saudi Arabia with weapons along with the UK.

Why arent you protesting about America & the Uk while you're at it?

I'm not aware of direct US / UK Nation-State ownership in premiership clubs? like the PIF and the evil inbred MBS (who is a monarchist dictator)

Deliberately starving millions of people including children by blocking food is some way to go about things.

Don't try to fool yourself or others on this - it's frankly embarrassing.

I didn't claim that in the slightest.

impressive reaching there.

but the fact is that the money is coming directly from the Saudis and MBS who are directly responsible for those terrible things - deliberate famine, murdering of journalists etc

Newcastle is directly connected with that brand now

There is no "free lunch" in this regard - it's a deal with the devil

The Saudis are doing this for sports-washing motivations - even small children know this

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There's zero chance that a moneybags club aiming for the very top will even be considering Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ah lads come on , we have a chance to dream , we are the richest club in the **** world and some people want us to sign Shane Duffy and Tarkowski from Burnley

Fuck that ☺️. I might be getting ahead of myself here but bring me at least Calvert Lewin , Ramsey , Coutinho , Bellingham etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't want to give you another excuse to post about Saudi Arabia but you started on this political rant over a year ago when the sale of Newcastle United was first speculated about so I'm not reaching but just remembering your tedious repetitive posting. The money from Saudi Arabia to the best of my knowledge is mostly generated by oil sales. Unless you have somehow separated yourself from transport using diesel or petrol, air travel, using plastics and many other materials in universal use throughout society you have contributed some of this oil money to Saudia Arabia by supporting oil being purchased from them on the international market. All I can do is repeat my opinion that claiming Newcastle supporters are suddenly now also supporters of a war in the middle east and murder is just being ignorant and condescending. Get off your high horse and find somewhere else to show off your moral superiority.

I'll leave it here.

This is nothing about oil except for the fact that's where their money comes from. But many countries have oil or gas resources and make money from them. That's a silly point to try to make really.

What it's actually about is Saudi Arabia's direct Nation-State majority ownership (80%) in Newcastle United FC for the grubby purposes of sportswashing its terrible international image due to its horrific list of ongoing deliberate starvation of millions, indiscriminate murder and dismemberment of citizens it doesn't like, mass public beheadings, repressive civil rights etc etc

There is no such thing as a free lunch - every deal with the devil has its cost.

As fans go ahead and look forward to having more money but at least know why this is happening and understand the two "brands" are now inexorably connected (in fact that's the whole idea).

• Advertisement

Yawn here come the morally superior brigade glasso and rebel all motivated by moral purity of course nothing to do with jealousy or fear of a new rival no sir all posting away on mobile phones using technology dug out of the ground by child slavery all to selflessly inform us lowly Newcastle fans of their moral superiority to us all.

I wonder do our moral superiors ever post on twitter, watch disney or watch F1? You'll never guess who invests in all of that?

Anyway back to Newcastle United you know the topic of this thread the U23s had a big 4 nil win last night in the first post Ashley match with the first goal being scored by Trialist which is always a favourite of mine assisted by JonJo Shelvey no less.

Newcastle - 80% ownership so complete control

Disney -> less than 0.3% lol 😂😂😂

A bit of perspective!

No F1 deal yet afaik ( own some of McLaren car group but that's not connected to racing team anymore) but that would be sports-washing also if anything is done

At what percentage does it become a problem? 5? 10? 50?

It's all or nothing if you're coming on here with your holier than holy attitude.

Duffy was part of a shambolic Celtic defence last season, consistently rubbish performances.

He's not even close to the level of quality we would need.

when they can control things for their sports-washing or influence motivations.

80% is plenty enough I would say.

But not going to do much with less than zero point three percent of Disney

I mean with that level they are not going to get the Prophet Muhammad into the next Snow White Cartoon are they?

So 49% no controlling stake = ok

But 51% controlling stake = bad

?

Disney was brought up here as a comparison to Newcastle (again 80% direct Saudi control)

Saudis own less than 0.3% of Disney shares

Nowhere near 49% or 51%

Nowhere near even 5% ffs

Trying to equate 80% ownership and control with 0.3% ownership (0% control) is a joke

Apologies just trying to figure out at what percentage point you decide your moral compass kicks in.

Fact is that the Saudis own and control NUFC for the purposes of sportswashing their dire international image.

They have an investment in Disney that amounts to 0.3% of outstanding shares

There's a big difference there in both the amount of control and influence - full vs none basically

The Saudis can't do anything with Disney except to decide to hold or sell their shares on the stock market, they can do whatever they want with NUFC to further their sportswashing motivations

• Advertisement

It seems Bruce took training today I cannot understand why the new owners haven't sacked him yet literally no fans want him he is the most unpopular manager we have ever had just sack him now.

Advertisement