Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive modding in regional forums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Once again a sense of seige and victim mentality that doesn't exist on any other forum . It is perhaps from moderation that this has allowed to flourish.

I await the review , hopefully this restores the regional forum to what it should be and open place for conversation of all types.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Lol, it's a bit rich you arguing against safe spaces, when you literally argued in your previous posts on thread that it should be a safe space - just for those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The only one seeing this "siege mentality" is you - you seem unable to accept the fact that you were in the wrong and are accusing both the mods and posters in an entire forum of being out to get you.

You, like other posters were given warnings for using terms that served no purpose other than to goad other posters, you were warned like others and yet you insist that everyone else is to blame for your punishment? Move that thread to any other forum and the outcome would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Still waiting for the explanation as to why you ladies/gents want free reign to pursue this in the Donegal forum specifically.

At this stage I've asked that question nearly as many times as MrMusician has asked why the victims don't just sue the builders...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There was plenty of dissenting opinions on that forum, some of which i could see some merit in. There were plenty of people in favour of redress but critical of some aspects of the protest.

The issues raised was words like McMansions and why not call them large houses. The argument against replacing large houses like for like has some merit even if I don't necessarily. But why not make those arguments without disparaging remarks about people's homes. You think they should not be replaced fair enough that arument can be made without insulting people.

Blank cheque is another. Perfectly possible to raise concerns about potential costs but no one is looking for a blank cheque. People are lobbying as much as they can ultimately goverment will make a decision and it will have to be accepted. This is a extremely worrying time for families involved is it not at least possible to argue the points but keep it civil and not try to deliberately antagonise.

I've answered you several times. The fact the forum is called Donegal doesn't meant people from outside Donegal cannot participate. If there are topical interesting subjects of course people will want to be involved.

Once again your post smacks of what had been pointed out already. It's a seige mentality fostered by moderation which has resulted to be frank in a negative and hostile regional forum. How long should that be allowed continue?

Again. I'd like to see where I specifically have deliberately antagonised. I've expressed sympathy and asked for common sense approach. and attempted to engage discussion on what that sensible compromised approach looks like. Even the post with the so called newly designated dodgy term blank cheque expresses that fact. But as with anything in that forum now there's aggressive attempts to stamp down and remove anyone who does not have anything but full support of a few posters and the moderator.

It's a chilly place and purposefully designed that way.

You haven't answered me several times. You've ignored the question for the most part, and now you've only answered why you should be ALLOWED to post in the Donegal forum, which isn't what I asked and isn't in debate.

I'm asking why you WANT to post in the Donegal forum. If you believe you have a logical argument as to why 100% redress is a dead end, people are looking for a blank cheque etc, then why do you feel the need to parade that opinion in front of the people who are facing financial ruin?

Its nothing more than rubbing salt in the wounds.

In your opinion!

I'm there to discuss the deployment of huge amounts of tax payers money in a sensible way.

The end.

• Advertisement

I havent read all your posts but i don't think you were personally disparaging but those sort of comments were been made frequently on the forum. But even before the mod mentioned McMansions is was extremely annoying and disruptive to proper debate.

I'm a taxpayer and I worry how my taxes are spent but the level of emotion I feel in that respect is nothing compared to the emotion people dealing with Mica are feeling. For many it has consumed their life for years. the people fighting this have been fighting for years when there was no talk of redress. Every other avenue was closed off.

I personally am following both threads the Donegal one and the politics one. Plenty of posters can engage in a civil manner, but in both forums there are constant insinuations about shoddy work, homeowners cuting corners, McMansions etc. (Not including yourself in that). It makes discussion very difficult, especially for people severly affected by this.

Oh right, so you've declared it the end. Well that's that then. Why didn't I think of that.

In other words you can't justify your desire to rub the noses of the Mica victims in the dust (aka their walls) so you just shut down the debate, which is ironically what you accuse Muffler of doing. Brilliant!

There's your emotive seige mentality once again. Who is rubbing your nose in it me ? You've called me a troll consistently throwing accusations at me on terms and posts I never made. You haven't a leg to stand on and as soon as someone responds to you with a counter claim you come out blazing throwing all the pent up anger you've had from various troll posts not attributed to me at me.

Zero rationalism Zero credibility and a complete lack of ability to dissect a post from others.

Bizarre.

You're getting more bizarre with each post...

1 - I don't have a siege mentality. I've been openly critical of the siege mentality displayed by the likes of Diver.

2 - I haven't actually called you a troll once. I implied it once in my first post here, but stopped short of directly accusing you. The second time I mentioned you and trolling in the same sentence I suggested it as option A, accompanied it with a second scenario whereby you WEREN'T trolling and simply ignored a Mod instruction.

Sorry that this seems to have left such deep psychological scarring.

3 - I'm not angry at all. I'm bemused by your shouty defensive reactions and lack of self awareness. Also I'm not even sure what this means...

"you come out blazing throwing all the pent up anger you've had from various troll posts no attributed to me at me."

I'm not blazing, nor angry, nor throwing anything anywhere. I suggest you cool down, read over your previous posts and think it through.

You've got all hot and bothered about being" repeatedly" called a troll (which I haven't done), accused me of trying to shut down debate but a few posts later declared a discussion ended, and given no reason whatsoever for your desire to downplay the claims of the victims of the Mica scandal directly to their face rather than in the politics thread other than defending the fact that you're entitled to do so (which nobody denied in the first place).

You are accusing posters of having a "seige[sic] mentality", and of being irrational - despite the reasons for your ban in the forum in question having been explained to you already in the clearest terms by multiple posters.

The only one with anger here is yourself, and you seem intent on blaming everyone else for your actions which broke forum charter and got you a ban.

Anyway, moving on from that strange conversation...

I would make a suggestion.

A Mod (not Muffler if that would be more palatable to whose whose complaint inspired this thread) should make a Mod Note. This is common place in contentious threads. The thread title can then be edited to include "read Mod note in post **** before posting".

That note should contain the following:

* a list of banned terms. McMansion, blank cheque etc. Accompanied by a reason why.

* a summary of the common arguments, the answers which are already given, and an instruction not to drag them up again. For example every now and then someone new pops up and says "why not just sue the builder"? As if they're a genius with new insight rather than asking the same question that has been asked and answered a million times.

* an instruction to keep discussion civil, and report any issues rather than rip into an argument.

That note will do 2 things, first of all it will leave no ambiguity over what is allowed or not allowed, and it will also make it clear what will or won't get you banned.

Should those banned be allowed back in once the rules are made clear? Perhaps. That's not my decision to make. For some, not being allowed to ask the same questions every few weeks would mean there's no real reason for them to come back* because maybe they are just trolls after all. Who knows?

*I don't mean you Listermint, settle down.

I don't think anyone has downplayed the claims of the homeowners when it comes to the loss they are suffering.

What is being called into question is their refusal to accept the State didn't cause this (no one can point to a law that says the State is liable for faulty building products) and the refusal to accept the compromise of "safe homes" - no it has to be a like-for-like replacement at the cost of whatever it takes. It is not moderators role to protect people from hearing such views.

Muffler should step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A long held tenet of Boards has always been that if a mod is actively involved in / invested in a topic in a forum they moderate then moderation should be handled by someone else. Pretty simple imo and it removes any bias, perceived or actual, from the equation.

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"I never called you a troll, I only implied it and insinuated it a few times".

Bizarre that this is considered to be ok in this forum.

If it's so terrible, then why not quote me accurately instead of completely changing what I said?

• Advertisement

And you have made those arguments consistently for weeks now at this stage. Has anyone tried to stop you. They may argue the point but your posting still continues which is right and proper.

In this case the mod was frustrated by inflammatory terms that were just used to antagonise rather than progress an argument. Quite rightly in my opinion banned terms like McMansion which are quite frankly offensive in this context where those are family homes crumbling in front of people.

I personally have no problem with someone making an argument that there should be a cap on the amount spent per house, why insult people's homes when doing so.

I could easily ask why posters insult our intelligence by posting some cherry picked stats that show one off houses in Donegal aren't any larger than anywhere else? This is of course conveniently neglecting that wasn't the point posed: that the houses are significantly larger than the average dwelling - for which McMansion is shorthand. One gets sanctioned, the other doesn't. This works both ways.

The mod has been reaching around to ban posters for a while now. But perhaps he should look at himself and his ratty personal attack in the post preceding the one where I was threadbanned.

Muffler is too invested and partisan to mod the thread fairly.

The idea that the thread in the donegal forum should mean that nothing that upsets the homeowners can be posted- that that their decision on what counts as upsetting is the measure- is ridiculous

The modding in that thread is blatantly only interested in a no-questions-asked-full-redress conversation and the modding has been awful, as detailed above

Banning "blank cheque" because what people want is full redress no matter what is nonsense. That's literally what blank cheque means in this context.

The majority of houses affected are not "McMansions", nor are they considerably larger than anything outside the pale.

The McMansion jibes are inflammatory designed to get a rise out of people - theres no actual debating or discussion in that statement. Its been done to death on that thread (and others), same as the free money or blank cheque arguments also.

If repeated use of false arguments and derogatory remarks like "everyone in Donegal lives in a McMansion" are not trolling, then what is?

McMansion is not shorthand for a large house, don't be ridicuous. it is a derogatory term designed to insult. If you want debate fair enough, if you want to sling insults at least be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They aren't significantly larger than RURAL homes in the rest of Ireland. That's not cherry picking statistics, that's comparing like for like.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Blank cheques, mcmansions now it's being stated that they are holiday homes or small bungalows which they can rent out themselves . Totally disrespectful to what the families are going through.

Perhaps some people should stop and think what it must be like to have your home crumble around you before throwing out inflammatory comments on a page.

Fairplay to muffler %100 right.

I always considered it just a term for large, generic, one off rural houses. The Irish pejorative for these is Muck Mansions.

Anyway, I could live without the term of it's that triggering (I don't think I used it much or at all in the Donegal forum thread), but "houses significantly larger than the national average" is a bit of a mouthful.

No problem with it being added to a thread warning, but the overall tone of moderation should change too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Muck mansions. Jesus your some craic.

Don't think muffler will have to defend his actions with some idiots proving his actions were right when you read their posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement