Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We improved a lot from minute 30-60. Our accuracy was much improved and there was a general quickness in play that was encouraging to see. I posted above that I think there's been a shift in style and it's one that'll take a while to get bedded in.

The opening 30 was a bit of a concern as after the first score we sort of meandered about and when we attempted to speed things up we kept losing the ball.

Was impressed by Bairds performance and thought the back three looked dangerous whenever they got the ball in hand. Encouraging to see us counterattacking from deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We lost 2 line outs and stole 2 or 3. This was Cronins first game in ages. I think we can forgive 2 errors, can’t we? The constant misery on here sometimes is crazy. And often times wholly unjustified.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’re 3 games into the season (all of which Leinster have won, with an aggregate score of 81-13, conceding 1 try) and you’re talking about being 1 injury away from throwing in the towel?? I wonder do some on here get any joy from watching rugby at all at times…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

2 of which were against Zebre and the Dragons. I mean, if you're happy with wins against those teams regardless of performance then fair enough, but I want Leinster to win a 5th star this season, and right now we look miles off that level.

That doesn't mean I don't get joy out of watching rugby.

The only good rugby we've played this season has been when Sexton is on the field and we look rudderless without him, so I don't think it's crazy to be very concerned about our chances if he gets injured.

We had a bad game last week and a game this week with a good few guys coming back from injury. I know the Internet isn’t exactly the home of perspective and balance, but come on. It’s the 4th game we’ve played this season. There’s a long way from here to the trophy end of things.

There we’re actually a good few positives from today. Not that you’d know it from your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Positive result today. Enjoyable to be back at the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think the 2 linesouts lost were excellent reads by zebre. Both times they got a jumper up just in front of our jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

What did I say that's imbalanced and lacking perspective? The Sexton comment was quite obviously hyperbolic.

I never said there were no mitigating circumstances, but equally, it's 2 games in a row where we haven't played particularly well. Why is it frowned upon to point that out? Or are we only allowed to focus on the positives?

Maybe it is early days and maybe we did have guys coming back, that's fine. But we still aren't playing well. I'm not losing my mind about it, I'm pretty calm. But I'm entitled to point it out.

I never said we can't or won't improve, but surely even you would agree that we need to improve? That's all I'm saying. I never said we're crap, or we won't win anything.

Perhaps you think our error count was good?

Or our backup 10s look up to the task?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

By your own admission, your Sexton comment is hyperbolic, so imbalanced and lacking perspective.

Nobody said it’s frowned upon to point out poor performances. Nobody is saying you’re only allowed focus on the positives. Nobody said Leinster’s error count was good. These are just straw men. I’m sure everyone would agree Leinster will need to improve.

People are just pointing out there’s a middle ground. It’s possible to be happy with the wins, disappointed with the performances but acknowledge it’s only 3 games into a season where Leinster will aim to peak in 6-7 months time.

(With regard Sexton, I understand tone can be lost on here sometimes so I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but personally it wasn’t at all obvious to me you meant that hyperbolically, based on some of your previous posts).

Post edited by aloooof on

As you said, the Sexton comment was hyperbolic. Your comment on the line out was also unfounded. We lost 2 line outs in as many minutes and won every other one. You also haven’t highlighted a single positive, focusing only on the negative.

So let’s see what we can do to be a bit ore fair and balanced….

The Good

Ala’alatoa showed some nice touches and seems to be settling well.

Baird put a poor performance behind him last week and showed a lot of really good elements to his game this week, from rucking to carries to line out.

Penny and Ruddock continued their form and Leavy was solid and dependable, which is a real positive given his injuries.

Luke McGrath has continued to play well, Harry Byrne was decent with ball in hand which is all we can expect for his first game back in a while. Sextons form is really good.

Frawley and Osbourne looked good albeit a little disjointed (to be expected), Larmour had some really good moments, Adam Byrne went well and JOB had some really good runs.

Overall, we are clearly looking to play with more pace and out of contact more. Some of our passing, including tip ons, were really good today. Our set piece was strong outside of the line out wobble in the first half.

The Bad

There was that line out wobble that possibly cost us a score and the scrum was a little messy at times.

It would have been good to see a bit more ball playing from our tight 5.

Harry Byrnes kicking from the tee was poor and JOB made a few errors that possibly cost us and Adam Byrne over ran a few times, one that certainly cost us.

Our ambition at times led to us not protecting the ball in contact enough which led to a number of unforced errors. It also led to us probably forcing things a bit at times which saw us coughing up ball when we might have been better served taking a bit more time with it. This has been an ongoing thing over the last few weeks.

The Context

We had a mix of predominantly 2nd and 3rd string guys out there, a few of whom were either just back from injury or quite simply very inexperienced. Just think of who we were missing today. Porter, Furlong, Sheehan. Ryan, VDF, Conan, Doris, JGP, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan etc.

If we are looking to play a more expansive game then that doesn’t come without a bedding in period.

This is just our 4th game of the season. In the 3 league games so far we’ve used 34 players. So it’s not only early days, but we’ve also rotated a fair bit too so we’re never going to really build much cohesion. Especially when trying to bed in a new style.

There have been positives and negatives over the last few weeks. Last week in particular was tough viewing. But we’ve won all 3 games and only dropped a point. There’s a long way to go yet so let’s give it time before making any judgements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I think people are complaining about the performances as they have been higher error than we are used to from Leinster.

But you can't have it both ways. We are moving further and further away from the joe schmidt low error low risk low reward style.

We know from last couple of years we needed to get away from the safe style that will win a pro 14 but fall short in europe.

Playing tip on passes, passing closer to gainline, hitting ball on the line etc etc will come with errors but hopefully by April/may we are humming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Low reward" isn't a phrase I'd use to describe Joe's time at Leinster...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Low reward as in successfully recycling the ball for another phase rather than making a line break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I suppose we should commend Dragons on their improvements. They've come on a bit. It's early days and we will see how we go over the next 2 matches. Stern tests both of them. Glasgow will be immensely physical and that's were we struggle.

It was a reference to how we used the ball not the overall success at cup time.

I don't think the endless recycling at ruck time and kick chase is a template we want to go back to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You're misremembering how Joe coached at Leinster.

Joes coaching approach with Ireland =/= his approach with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah my memory of Joe’s Leinster was very good rugby with off loads and sharp back line moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

As noted above, your memory is not correct. We played incredibly attacking and ambitious rugby under Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

IIRC Joe stated to the players that he wanted to make Leinster the best passing team in Europe (I think Nacewa may have mentioned this at some stage).

• Advertisement

A rather lousy injury update has been published. Leinster have confirmed that Harry Byrne injured his hip at the weekend. He's rules out of this weekends game against the Scarlets and is awaiting further medical assessment. Also, RoL injured his shoulder against Dragons in round 2 and will also be unavailable.

Penny and Frawley picked up soft tissue injuries against Zebre but haven't yet been ruled out for the weekend. They'll be assessed later this week.

Disaster for Harry Byrne. I'm 100% convinced he can be Leinsters starting 10 for the next decade. He's extremely skilled on the ball and has the athleticism his brother packs. But he's had no luck at all staying fit since the firm of the new year.

With the Lions back this week I can’t imagine Penny or Frawley would have been in the running anyway so no harm. Same for ROL. Harry’s injury is the one to worry about. Had he gone well enough last week I reckon he’d have made the 23 this week. As it is I expect Ross to start given the minutes Sexton played vs Zebre.

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Murphy, VDF, Conan

JGP, RByrne, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, AByrne, Keenan

Sheehan, EByrne, Ala’alatoa, Baird, Leavy, McGrath, Sexton, Larmour

Yea, thats true. I was thinking more the leinster style around the same time which mirrored Irish style under joe at the same time. Leinster 3 years ago played a conservative enough style. a lot of tries scored by forwards with pick and jams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Gutted for Harry but I'm just not sure I agree that he is our starting 10 for the next 10 years. When was the last time he really lit it up for us? I know hes had his injuries but when fit theres never really been a game when he looked like heir to the throne. With Frawley looking to settle in at center I think Leinster should consider an NIQ 10 next year if Sexton hangs up the boots. Someone sturdy until a longer term homegrown 10 presents himself. Or go after Ben Healy if Munster persist with starting Joey!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

I know! One can dream. NIQ 10s have worked out well enough for us in the past though. Ideally you want a home grown 10 that will be there long term, but I just don't see who that would be currently. When Sexton goes I can't see us challenging for a 5th star with either Ross or Harry playing there, unless either push on massively in the next year. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Ben Healy also isn't that good either. Has a massive boot and decent defensive game, but he's not a particularly creative 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They’ve a younger 10 played 20s a couple of years ago that looks very good. Name escapes me.

• Advertisement

Munster have a few young 10's knocking about right now. Crowley, Flannery and Healy. The latter has received the most game time to date.

Advertisement