Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, since 2020 doesn't matter, let's look at 2021.

Leo Cullen plays him at 12.

Andy Farrell plays him at 12.

Warren Gatland plays him at 12.

It doesn't really matter what I think - but the three coaches who selected him this calendar year did so overwhelmingly at 12.

I think it's then slightly odd to be using words like "baffling" and "blindingly obvious" when the facts all point in the opposite direction to what you're saying.

Very odd train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Cullen plays him at 12 because he has Ringrose to factor in and doesn't have the plethora of options of a national coach or Lions coach. If I was Leinster coach I'd probably play him at 12 too to get Ringrose in, even though I think he's better at 13. Cullen doesn't have an Aki to stick in at 12 if he wants to move Henshaw to 13. An out of form Ringrose is still better than O'Loughlin.

Moving him to Leinster was incredible short sightedness from the IRFU.

Farrell and Gatland have used him at both 12 and 13, and he always plays better at 13, without fail.

It's also worth pointing out that Farrell and Gatland have proven to be far from infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I would say Henshaw is excellent defensively at 12 and excellent offensively at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I see 2 years has suddenly been cut in half. Christ this place has gone to the dogs.

2020 matters if it suits which it does for Henshaw. 2020 doesn’t matter when it suits which it doesn’t for Ringrose. You can’t expect people to be consistent when consistency doesn’t support their position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

An opposition coach would pick Conan over Coombes…

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think people are missing the point here, trying to make this all about Garry Ringrose.

Henshaw is our best 13. This is not a dig at Garry Ringrose. Henshaw is just better than him at 13.

Aki is our best 12. This is also not a dig at Garry Ringrose. Aki is again just better than him at 12.

Aki and Henshaw is Ireland's best centre combination. An excellent player in Ringrose misses out, but that's just the way it is. We should not move our best 13 to 12, and leave our best 12 out, just so we can pick Garry Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Only one way to end this argument, play him at 15.

I always find it odd when people state things as fact with absolutely nothing backing up the opinion. Which it is. Opinion not fact. I mean you’ve basically looked to shut down the discussion on it entirely above.

I think people get really obsessed over things like line breaks and defenders beaten while also ignoring less obvious things such as the reading of the game etc. Henshaw certainly looks better at 13 when you’re not micro analysing the game. But then of course he does, because he has more space etc. It’s easier to make metres or break the line etc when you’re 1 man further out.

But how does he read the game on both sides of the ball from 13 compared to Ringrose? I’d say Ringrose is a far better reader from a defensive perspective at the very least. And that matters.

Do they play the same way or differently at 13? If different, which style suits Ireland best? Would it be fair to say that Henshaw is more direct and Ringrose more elusive for example?

Ringrose didn’t earn the player of the year last year for the craic. He’s an excellent player who adds a lot. He had a crap year with injury last year. But if he can show he has returned to form then he has a better case for starting at 13 than anyone else. Because he’s been doing it for Ireland for years and doing it very well, to the point that he was deemed the best player in the squad.

That’s not to say there is no case for Aki-Henshaw. Of course there is. But I find it odd how much some want to shut down debate on it.

“Henshaw is our best 13. This is not a dig at Garry Ringrose. Henshaw is just better than him at 13.”

Stated as fact. So go on, expand on that. Explain it. Discuss in detail what elements of his game are better, what are worse, and why it is so utterly definitive that he is better at 13 than Ringrose.

This isn’t about Ringrose, this is about people stating definitively things that they are incapable of quantifying or backing up to a definitive level. If he was a better 13 than Ringrose I’d like to think one of their coaches would have noticed by now. Especially if it was so blindingly obvious to all but us dullards.

• Advertisement

Of course it's an opinion. Everything on this forum is an opinion. Your post is an opinion!

I think Henshaw is excellent defensively at 13. I have no concerns. This "Ringrose does the less obvious things better" is, IMHO, total fluff. I believe the difference between Henshaw at 12 and Henshaw at 13 is stark, the fact you have to talk about "less obvious things" and "reading of the game" is testament to that.

Henshaw is the best 13 Ireland have, so let's play him at 13. Let's not try invent excuses as to why we need to play him at 12 because it's difficult to suggest dropping Garry Ringrose.

Ringrose is an excellent player who adds a lot, yes he won player of the year, but I am not sure what point this proves. Henshaw is still better than him.

You'd like to think one of the coaches would notice?

What was Garry Ringrose doing this summer when Robbie Henshaw was in South Africa?

Less obvious things to people who get one eyed about things like line breaks. Reading the game isn’t less obvious to coaches etc. And it’s an incredibly, incredibly important part of the game. But it’s not the eye catching glamorous stuff that catches people’s eyes. And that’s the problem. The fact that you’re being disparaging about an incredibly important part of the game speaks volumes.

ah f**k it, why do I engage

AH come on, this is a fairly empty point molloyjh. You talk about needing to quantify why Henshaw is better, and then talk about "Ringrose is better at reading the game". How do you quantify that?

Has anyone, ever, in any publication, internet forum, tweet or Joe Duffy show expressed any concern whatsoever about Robbie Henshaw's reading of the game, or his ability to defend?

Recovering from another injury. But I wouldn’t be holding up Lions selection as some sort of definitive proof of anything. Especially not the 2021 Lions selection. Gatland went with a plan that inspired nobody and lost the tour. Henshaw suited that more than Ringrose did, which is why I referenced style before. Different styles will suit different teams and game plans better. Gatland had never coached the the players before though. Schmidt, Cullen, Lancaster and Farrell all have. And they have all favoured Ringrose at 13 to Henshaw at 12. Every single one of them. Consistently. Do you know better than they all do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Quite frankly, a bit of form a year ago isn’t worth much now after a year of poor form since.

Tom Farrell, James Hume, and Liam Coombes have all shown some good form this season, I’d rather pick Aki and Henshaw, and select one of them to join the squad than bring in Ringrose, or for that matter Chris Farrell who also hasn’t been very good for a while now.

You're right.

I am advocating replacing a Leinster player at 13 with a... **checks notes**... Leinster player because I hate Leinster players.

He wasn't ruled out of the Lions due to injury. He wasn't picked.

Bo. But that doesn’t mean Ringrose doesn’t have elements of that that he does better. For example I’d be of the opinion that Ringroses positioning and decision making for coming out of the line is superior to Henshaws. However Henshaw is probably a better one on one tackler. Ringrose is more likely to cut off the outside channel and force a guy inside. Henshaw is more likely to make a dominant hit. So what does the defensive system need most? That’s the sort of thing I mean by quantifying. Admittedly qualifying would have been a bette choice of words.

• Advertisement

You don't hate Leinster players. You hate that Leinster players get picked ahead of the Ulster players you think are better. You have a massive chip on your shoulder about it.

You're also not advocating replacing Ringrose with Henshaw, you're advocating replacing Ringrose with Aki who is <checks notes> not a Leinster player.

I'll stop now because you'll infract me.

Tom Farrell, Hume and Coombes are still a good bit away from troubling anyone's position. Chris Farrell is firmly in 4th spot.

If the trio of Henshaw, Aki and Ringrose are fit then the pairing is always going to be 2 of those in any games that matter.

I was being a smart ass. The question you asked was what was he doing in the summer. He was recovering from injury. At the time that the squad was selected he had onoy just played his second game back from injury too for what it’s worth. So injury could have been a factor. I doubt it, Gatland had his mind made up about the make up of his squad and Ringrose would never have fit into that. But if you’re sure you want to hold Gatland up as the coach to pay attention to over and above all the others then by all means go for it. I wouldn’t personally, but there you go.

I've been banging the drum about Henshaw at 13 for years, and Ulster have no centres to offer Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“I’d say Ringrose is a far better reader from a defensive perspective at the very least. And that matters.”

Fwiw, molloy, I’d strongly disagree with this part of your post. Henshaw is probably the best defensive midfielder in Europe at the moment, and a large part of that comes down to his reading. It’s a really strong part of Ringrose’s game (I’ve long been a fan of his ability to identify when to shoot out of the line) but, at best, I’d say they’re on a par. I just don’t think it’s accurate to say say Ringrose is better and he’s absolutely not “far better”. And that’s before you mention the contrasting form of both players.

Take the England game, Henshaw was phenomenal in the opening 20 mins. Almost single handedly keeping us in the game. He made one read, as the edge defender, that stopped an almost certain try, when England had numbers outside. It was an amazing defensive read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ringrose closing off the outside channel has something to do with his skill and timing, but it's got a lot to do with the coach's instructions too. That's certainly a tactic that demands a high level of communication between the centre pair. I wouldn't read too much in to that in terms of whether one is better than the other, Henshaw does it a lot too, depending on his position. They both have a similar scoring record for Ireland, maybe Henshaw scores more often in bigger games but not much between them on those stats which are important ones for your centers. I'm guessing 13 should have more opportunities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,129 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes and I'm saying he wouldn't have been anywhere near the Lions if either of Deegan or Doris were fit for the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Someone has a differing opinion to you = place gone to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Aki being 31 is important! By the world cup he's going to be 33! Most players are diminished at this point! It's also worth remembering that Aki wasn't his usual self last season. I thought he was off form a little.

Henshaw imo, is our best 12. I prefer him to Aki! He's defensively very sound and his partnership with Ringrose is very good. The problem with the national team is the coaching! I think Catt is out of his depth.

Advertisement