Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No, what's being suggested by timmyntc is that the extra costs on the health system associated with being unvaccinated should be borne by the people who are unvaccinated as they are multiple times more likely to consume health resources to treat COVID-19 than the vaccinated, everything else you say is whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bit of a stretch, being unvaxed is a choice, being old, gay and your skin color are not choices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

But most unvaccinated won't end up in hospital anyway as most people who get it don't end up in hospital. So you're looking to punish the majority of unvaccinated because a minority of them end up in hospital? Those who end up in hospital will likely be old or fat if we're being honest, and as someones who's young and in shape I don't see how in the world I can be punished for the results of the conditions of others.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not really, reading some of the more recent posts and you have called them fools and idiots and seem to suggest taxing them for their choices is a morally sound idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

How so ?

The taxes on those products are justified by governments as diminishing the cost of public healthcare by some due to their lifestyle choices that would otherwise be borne by those who did not make those choices.

If some choose not to avail of a vaccine then that is a lifestyle choice, that should it result in them requiring medical care, will be one that is being paid for by those that made a choice to avail of the vaccines. Presently we have 90% of the population vaccinated yet 70% of those requiring hospital care are unvaccinated.

Even apart from the tax on these products, those that make the lifestyle choice to ignore the health advise such as smokers, also have social restrictions that are punishable for non-compliance.

• Advertisement

That's precisely what tax is being used for to encourage behaviour, you could avoid such tax by getting vaccinated. We don't know up front who will end up in ICU, but we know that the minority unvaccinated have a much higher chance than the majority vaccinated of ending up in hospital and ICU.

(reality is that this won't happen and I don't think it should happen, but interesting to see the willful unvaccinated be so aghast at having to accept the consequences of their actions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I read that in the IT which accompanied it with a quote from Paul Reid “It’s going to be a very difficult winter. Our staff are exhausted.”

Grim reading that quiet hospitals can overwhelm our health service where they are "exhausted" already in the year with flu season just beginning.

That being said, while I have my suspicions that we will see some dodgy press releases over the coming week to do with covid worries, I don't expect the government to bow to the zealots and delay the 22nd October reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just to put this into perspective

“”"Four in ten people who were hospitalised in recent weeks were unvaccinated, and nearly 70pc of those in ICU have not had a vaccine, the HSE has said."””

According to the hub we have 3,777, 083 fully vax. I believe that’s 92% of the adult population along with some teenagers. I believe that cohort accounts for 60% (240) in hospital

So we are left with 8% of adults not vaccinated which is approx 300,000 give or take which account for 160 (40%) in hospital. Imagine if it was 92% that weren’t vaccinated!

I presume we locked down in early September when it was 382? Otherwise what prevented Armageddon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It feels like we are being prepped for something. The "worried" voices are popping back out. Eamon Ryan was asked about the nightlink today and he had no plan for it to return despite nightclubs being open in less than 2 weeks.

The budget will be a distraction for a couple of days, Tony can do some positioning. None of it goes ahead without him saying so. He still holds the power.

• Advertisement

Lots of folks hearing voices in their head it seems

Some lad said a friend of a friend saw Tony dining out at a table bigger than six. I heard he was dancing on the table at the end of the night and trying to get off with one of the barmaids. See how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Things are mysteriously quiet from the powers that be with regards the reopening. No negative soundbites just yet. Could yet happen, maybe they're just seeing how this pans out over the next while. My own personal feelings aside I can't see them pressing ahead with it if hospitalisations and incidence continue to rise. But I hope I'm wrong and they're confident it's just a short transient blip that will reduce again very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That’s what i mentioned in my post. Read it again.

the 6/10 are coming from a total of 3.7 million people whereas the 4/10 are coming from the 300k group. So the hospital stats are meaningless without context.

We've reached peak thread now.

Hopefully she isn't unable to get a vaccine, but they can be taken anytime during pregnancy, the risk of severe disease if catching COVID during pregnancy seems to be quite high. If you're unable to vaccinate, wrap in cotton wool and keep anyone unvaccinated away from her, mask up, sanitise, society will open up but it sounds like you have a few more months of effective lockdown.

You also need to hope that the ICU stays relatively low occupancy if the worst happens, so encourage as many as you can to be vaccinated.

Can't see them pushing the 22nd out any further, public would go mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

prob as many vaxxed now as ever will be. its all over for the public now, hospitals and medics will just have to deal with as best they can, same as every other illness

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The public will do as they are told by their betters as per. We've the highest vaccination rate in the world because we listen to our betters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you know its over when even claire byrne has left it behind , 2 weeks in a row now of zero covd stories. that says it all

No we have the highest vaccination rate because we have people in this country who want to get back to a pub, canning plans for pubs and clubs in the run up to the busy season would trigger mass protests

It's probably because of our love for the pub that we have high case numbers lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

We drink diluted poison in significant quantities as we enjoy the buzz so of course we aren't going to be afraid of a little vaccine!

I can already see the government's Christmas PR piece with returning emigrants who finally get to have a normal Christmas with their parents and grandparents. That alone is a reason I feel the government don't want to delay reopening any further, they desperately need to try to spin it into something which makes them look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Neither do I think it will happen. But I thought it a bit over the top comments by some on those not yet being vaccinated being encouraged to do so as coercion, where presently taxes, fines and possible prison sentences relating to other health issues would be much closer to actual coercion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thankfully neither of which are reflective of reality. By their nature, internet forums are biased towards introverted types who sit around on their laptops, tablets, phones and frequent online spaces, instead of getting out and, you know, actually living life. It's evident throughout this thread, the same few posters interspersed with more sporadic posters. That's why I'd always be reluctant to read too much into what's said on these forums. In fact, the vast majority of people I meet face to face don't even talk about Covid anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭prunudo

I honestly don't think they would go mad. The current restrictions are having very little effect on the majority of people. At many points throughout the last 20 months I thought there would be a back lash. Its never once materialised, and if any rumblings appeared they were quickly rounded on and labelled as anti vax or trouble makers.

Thats not to say they shouldn't be lifted on the 22nd. but if they don't, it will be due to hse management trying to cover their arses rather than fixing their shambles of a health service.

The difference is that at most points in the last 20 months there wasn't a promise of a return to near-normal, there wasn't widespread vaccination and there wasn't a level of fatigue brought on by 20 months of restrictions

It was just over a month ago that the Taoiseach attended the Mighty Hoopla festival and there are now gigs planned all around the country, many are sold out - these optics weren't there for the last 20 months and that I feel is the difference in public attitude. Our nearest neighbours, England, Scotland and Wales having more freedoms than us despite higher case numbers probably doesn't help either

What about the hospital staff who refused vaccines, theres lots of them but hospitals not releasing details.

Cant fire these people because theres no replacement staff to be found anywhere. No possibility whatsoever of firing nursing home staff, no one wants this badly paid back breaking work.

• Advertisement

We do know who will end up in Icu, those over 65 in poor health but under seventy. Risk then rises with age so over seventies of all ages but particularly the less healthy.

The younger people in ICU are mainly obese and these people are in hospital a lot anyway due to health problems caused by obesity.

Both these cohorts need to avoid contact with other people, the rest of us need our freedoms back to live life as we choose.

I want to renew my gym membership but wont until my classes are back to normal, full showers available and sauna and hot tubs open.

Roll on October 22nd.

Advertisement