Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I just share the information and make comments about it. I have no control over what posters do with it. I see the cases as fairly stable. They go up a bit they go down a bit but are still in the same kind of range. In other words they're not surging. 

Based on the last 18 months we can go to 2,000 cases in hospital if necessary but then everything stops. There doesn't seem to be any huge concern over our current hospitalisations at present and I've no idea at what level they might cause alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wasnt that when the private hospitals were taking non Covid patients and taking surgical cases from the public system .? As far as I know that arrangement is no longer in place .

I believe so. There is a surge plan or maybe it's a series of surge plans. I'm just pointing out we can get to that level, however it's done, if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hopefully. Always a bit difficult when symptoms are so similar. Only real difference is the lack of taste/smell one. Coughs, sore throat, congested nose etc are pretty common across a bunch.

Yes I understand that but it needs to be in place to manage large number like 2000

Let's hope we don't get anywhere near that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That arrangement is either still in place, or is going to be reintroduced afaik.

• Advertisement

I dont think its in place at the present time . I know someone who had surgery in August in a private hospital and they said he was the last public ortho patient.It can probably be re instated if under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep. Flying around at the moment.

A lot of UK media have picked up on it; https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/24/return-of-the-common-cold-infections-surge-in-uk-as-autumn-arrives

Our own media are tentative to talk about it, largely because they're concerned that people will stop getting tested for covid. Back in February/March NPHET said there was nothing else going around, so if you feel sick, it's probably covid. But tens of thousands of children and parents who returned a negative test discovered that in fact, there are still colds in circulation.

And they always ramp up when the kids go back to school. Go get a test, but it's more than likely just a cold. Especially if you have kids.

The Uk are going to drop the testing soon.

The Government there think its a waste of money at this stage, its costing millions and with so many vaccinated its all a bit pointless.

We probably should be giving booster shots to all health care staff, no point in sending them in to give shots to nursing home residents if their own immunity is waning.

Do we have information on how many of these cases were caught in hospitals.

Also every head cold presenting for testing could be diagnosed as covid, We really need to move on from this now, there are going to be huge numbers from now till April, for the vast majority it will be a headcold but the elderly need to avoid other people, its sad for them but they have had decades of life and young people need their full lives back now.

This is as good as its going to get now, time to built extra hospital space and recruit staff from wherever we can get them ASAP

There is lots of illness going around at the moment. Bad colds, the vomiting bug, hand/foot and mouth. I actually know 3 people that were hospitalized with the vomiting bug.

We just don't really care about these things. Sure I was standing outside the creche the other day and 2 mothers were talking about the vomiting bug and 1 of them said "Ah, at least its not the Covid".

This is sadly the mentality we've been dealing with for the last 18 months.

The illness has been here for almost 2 years now and isn't going anywhere. Containment is no longer the strategy.

All we can do is vaccinate people and move forward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Everything is doing the rounds, people are mixing more indoors again now.Inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see the results are coming out of a first inquiry in the UK, carried out by a cross party group of MP's. Quite critical in some areas, complementary in others, its good though to see a country that demands accountability in these things, no doubt lessons will be learned from these inquiries.

Of course, say that Ireland badly needs such an inquiry and you get told that it is a waste of time and money, god forbid that the lockdown government ever be held to account for its decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Right, getting closer to addressing the elephant in the room

What happens if the ICU numbers keep rising ?

No point saying "new normal", "learn to live with it", "let it rip" if our health service cant cope.

Should the long term solution not be turning a facility like Citywest into an ICU/ventilation centre.

If not then the only other card our government have to play is Lockdown#4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have to admit I have been thinking this for some time.Staff numbers are a problem,yes, for such units.But if you have vaccinated everyone you can reasonably expect to vaccinate (and there probably should be contingency to allow that some won't be vaccinated, but really I think our numbers are small), then surely they should then turn attention to the Health service and ask what can we do here.They have actually moved heaven and earth to keep ICU beds in play for Covid by shifting and closing basically every other service in the Health system. But if this becomes (and it has, let's face it), a long term issue then surely we should consider another approach - actually take covid out of the hospitals, much like we used to with TB, have a couple of dedicated facilities to manage covid, as opposed to focusing on managing covid in the health system, and trying to find multiple other facilities to manage everything else???

Or is that too simplistic/outside the box of an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

70% in ICU are unvaccinated. Maybe put the antivaxxers into lockdown? Would that be a good suggestion for your lockdown box?

LOL. This thread is about posters constantly looking for arguments for lockdowns. Thankfully these threads don’t reflect the reality out there with people moving on with their lives, including myself. Life couldn’t be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I don't think a full lockdown or restrictions can return. Imagine the optics worldwide of re-locking a country that has a 90+% vaccination rate amongst adults. It'd be horrendous.

zero chance of lockdown number 4 irrespective of ICU numbers. We will just have to deal with it….maybe fly patients overseas if necessary

Lockdown doesn't actually achieve anything though. It is a very costly way of kicking the can further down the road. Except this time we wouldn't be waiting on vaccines. We'd be kicking the can down the road for the sake of it.

With 92% vaccinated, if we still need to lockdown, then we best start planning how we are going to fund the annual winter lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One way or another, another lockdown won't work. We know the primary spread occurs in close quarters; within households, in busy indoor spaces.

The fact of the matter is that there has always been an 80/20 issue with covid. That is, 80% of the infections are caused by 20% of the people. Those who take the least caution, who have the most close contacts. Those who held parties in their homes, who went to lock-ins, who ignore the need for covid certs.

There would also be a significant crossover between this 20%, and people who won't take vaccines.

So in the event that another lockdown went into force, the ones that we're locking down for - the unvaccinated - are also the ones least likely to bother restricting themselves. How would that message be sold? "You're locking down to protect the health service from the people who are too selfish to do it". Like a lead balloon. The demand would be to push back on the unvaccinated rather than punishing the rest of us for their selfishness.

There is a considerable surge capacity open to us, and the private hospitals are there too. Even if ICU numbers keep rising, they're not (yet) rising in the familiar exponential ramping curve that signals a loss of control. And they're unlikely to. This will be another jump to a flatline that will be maintained.

At 92% adult vaccination, to see an exponential surge would be massively out of step with everything we know. Even our current case levels are somewhat inexplicable in the context; most other countries with less vax rates have much lower case loads. The only explanation is our open mixing with the UK, who have similar but level ICU & hospitals numbers as the ones we're approaching. The UK has the equivalent of ~500 people in hospital in 80 in ICU, and has done for about 2 months.

So we will top-out as well.

Furthermore the lockdown would have to be permanent because we’d have nothing else beyond the vaccine. Just not going to happen. But i suspect there are posters on here who would be quite happy in a constant lockdown while counting the spiders under their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know why people are talking about lockdowns, it isn't lockdowns that are the problem, it is the far more insidious "restrictions".

Health service under its annual winter pressure and all the clapping on balconies not curing cancer fast enough, what do you do? Well maybe you bring back in the 11pm pub closing times to protect A+E departments, how could anybody argue against that? Don't you care about our front line heroes?

Kicking fathers out of hospitals, sending children home from schools, stopping people going to watch music or sports, all these have been done without being in LOCKDOWN, so why couldn't they be done again?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I've a cold at the minute. Will i be going to get a test, eh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely. This nonsense has to stop. If you have the sniffles it's more than likely just a head cold, if it's covid so what if you are vaccinated.

Life has to go on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I hear the logic of life going on, most of us want that.

I'm just offering the unpopular alternate reality, "what if it can't"

• Advertisement

The world has never stopped for any pandemic in the past ( only temporary) Life will go on.

Advertisement