Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

But he's looking better and and more confident in every game. To me he looks like a player will really kick on, and who HAS been really kicking on. Where as much as I'd love to see Harry do the same, he just hasn't, even without the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Byrne was due to start in the Heineken Cup last December but pulled out with injury like 30 minutes before kick off. It's been non stop injury since then. He'd definitely impressed up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Harry Byrne looks like he could be very good, and was getting opportunities. But while he had some very good showing in the first half of last season, he also had a couple of ropey ones too. The guy just needs a run of games to see if he can push on.

As for Healy, he was being touted as the next big thing at 10 about 12 months ago. That talk died down as the season went on. He’s had 1 good game this season and it’s off again. Like Harry, let’s see how he does over a run of games before declaring him anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Crowley looks to have it all but needs gametime to develop. Much better prospect than Healy, who is quite limited from what I have seen. Similar to Ross Byrne really.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

It's bonkers to be writing off Harry Byrne based on everything we've seen to date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Healy strikes me as taking it flatter and a better passer than Ross Byrne, but Ross much better defensively. Healy seems to get pinned in rucks, or caught for not rolling away so that’s something he’ll need to tidy up.

Still very early days for both Healy and HB tho. Neither have started a Champions Cup game yet.

Who’s writing him off? One poster is but I think that’s more based on injury profile than ability. Biggest problem with Harry is that he needs gametime to develop his game management and isn’t getting it, due to injuries. Harry is a far more exiting player to watch than Ross but as yet hasn’t demonstrated the same ability to control a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s who I was thinking of, looked great for the 20s.

I’d be very happy to be wrong about Healy and that he develops to be international class. I just think from the times I have watched him, that he will be very dependable but just missing that extra little bit to be top level. Mind you if he can consistently perform like he did at the weekend, that could be prove me wrong very quickly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see the RDS redevelopment has now doubled in cost to 50 million and there is a 10 million shortfall in funding at the moment.

• Advertisement

We’ll have a whip round, we are absolutely loaded.

Saying leinster need to sign a NIQ 10 after this season is bonkers.

In all seriousness 50 million is an insane price tag when the resulting capacity increase is very modest. Likely driven by huge increase in material costs but also the usual under estimation of costs that goes on.

Crazy cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Would Leinster not be better served by renting out the aviva over putting €50m into the Rds to develop 1 stand and get only 2000 extra capacity

Is there much of an cost to using the aviva. Does it need to be at a certain capacity to make hosting a game viable?

The bottom tier hosts 20k I think. Which would more than satisfy most Urc games against non Irish teams but for the inter pros we could expect to get over 30k at some home games if marketed correctly.. similar to the champions cup games over Xmas.

Obviously Edinburgh in Murrayfield didn't exactly work but Leinster would have a higher number of season ticket holders and could potentially grow this number in a bigger stadium..

Obviously Leinster are in the middle of a 25 year lease of the Aviva but maybe it has a review after 15 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

I'm deffo not writing him off lads! Really hope he comes good. Based on what I've seen so far I'm just not convinced, though others are so maybe I'm not seeing something they are. My NIQ suggestion was based around the possibility of Sexton hanging them up next year.

We'd be left with the two Byrnes then, if Harry kicks on then maybe it wont be an issue at all, but if he doesn't we would look pretty light at 10.

That would not help increase attendances it would actually put some people off going as it would kill the atmosphere dead.

speaking of 10's, Leinster U20 and sub academy outhalf Charlie Tector made his AIL debut at the weekend for Lansdowne and won man of the match.

For a start Leinster are tenants, so they’re not putting €50 million or anything like it into the redevelopment. The bulk of the money is coming from the RDS and the government AFAIK.

Renting out the Aviva is a costly affair and though it works well for European games and Munster games. It would be cost prohibitive for the vast majority of League games.

I'd say they'll be told to cut costs and bring it back down to a cost much closer to that which they already have funding for.

They already scaled back on the plans before, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If they get rid of those pillars in the terrace then 50m is a bargain. Get it done I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

HB is young! He is injury prone, but so is Sexton. He will get his run. Signing a NIQ would only hamper his development. Much like Madigan. It's bad timing for him to be injured, but he will bounce back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dan Sheehan flying very under the radar off the back of some pretty promising performances. Not perfect but the pick of the 3 hookers so far.

Can easily see him being second choice to Kelleher sooner than later

Kelleher and Sheehan miles ahead of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Treacy is very good depth! He's a very good back up. He's great off the bench! I think our hooker depth is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They wouldnt as moving all games to Aviva would kill atmosphere. Cost of running Aviva per game compared to RDA wouldnt make it worthwhile. It would lose attraction and selling point of the few games that Leinster do move to Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I agree with this. Look at Edinburgh downsizing because despite the increasing success they couldn't do squat for the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The RDS struggles to half fill the stadium when it's one of those rainy Winter/Spring evenings with the internationals away and against dud oppositions. Moving those to the Aviva would be horrific.

It's not even just the rainy nights, it is half empty for every league game outside of interpros and playoffs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Back to Donnybrook we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Advertisement