Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I thought O'Shea was to come in with O'Donoghue. It was the other way around in Tipp so I would guess that O'Shea would not to do that to him. Going for Davy would be a short term solution where when O'Donoghue left previously, it was because of issues that impact on the future success of the county. It looks like some people want to protect their positions than look for success for Galway Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I'd go with the Davy man if he didn't cost too much....

A lot of culling to be done.... New young team needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

If the players have any respect for their careers then its time for a heave there. FFS Anthony Cunningham took the hurlers to an All Ireland and they jacked him. Joyce has lost to everyone bar Roscommon and got relegated in the process. You could pick pretty much any of the managers of the top 10 clubs in the county and they'd be a better option than Joyce.

We'll end up pissin' 100k up against the wall on Davy and leave the footballers as is. The writings on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If Davy delivers an All Ireland, it would be worth it, circus and all, we've only won one All Ireland in over thirty years and even since then have under performed badly. At worst he'll shake things up, too many in current squad are just coasting along, they won't be allowed to do that under Davy. He'd only be a short term fix and wouldn't be my pick, I'd still be surprised if he gets the job.

I'm afraid we're stuck with Joyce for another year at least, the county board have no appetite to change the manager there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d like to see rochford over the footballers after Joyce goes.

I see HoganStand has deleted the county forums. Any other fairly active forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

The galway hurling forum has also gone to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Why I wonder? that was the only reason I visited HS to read the oul forums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Galway Hurling Forum is an absolute joke. You're literally not allowed to criticise intercounty players with All-Irelands for not being sharp enough.

• Advertisement

Same as. It’s pointless without it. I believe they didn’t have the resources to moderate each forum.

Galway County Board managed to cancel it to curb criticisms :)

Thats a pity, there were some good and clued in commenters on there with well thought out contributions imv

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭The Guru 123

It's a sorry mess at the moment in hurling and football. Very hard to know who'll end up with the 2 jobs.

Johnny Kelly looking like the frontrunner in the hurling. Can't see them moving Joyce at this stage unless the players look to move him on. The board will look for the cheapest option in every case. Had the scaby fcukers out charging 5 snots into an u12 development league shield final the other day. No notice or records of any takings. The county is packed with these chancers lining their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway Senior Football Quarter-Finals

Tuam Stars vs Maigh Cuilinn

Killannin vs Oughterard

Milltown vs Corofin

Mountbellew/Moylough vs Annaghdown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway Intermediate Football Quarter-Finals

Oileain Àrann vs Oranmore/Maree

Dunmore MacHales vs Glenamaddy

Naomh Anna Leìtìr Mòir vs Killererin

St. Brendan's vs Michèal Breathnach

Any dates for when these are to be played?

Just seen it’s the weekend of 16/17 of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hard to see an ordinary Tuam side beat Moycullen if the champions have a full complement. Killanin / Oughterard a nice derby game but neither likely to start as favourites in a semi-final. Again, hard to see an improving Milltown having the firepower to down Corofin in auto-pilot at the moment. M/M - Annaghdown should be a good contest but despite Comer, Annaghdown's forwards aren't great, though their defence is solid. Mountbellew should have too much craft at this stage, though this maybe the surprise tie of the round. Is it another draw for the semis, or is it 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 as above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

So Michael Donoghue isn't fully out of the race per reports.

I'm all for taking the necessary time to find the right manager but if they're not getting the proper financial backing why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

See ticket details out for next weekend's matches and co. Board should be called out for the robbing thief's they are charging €15 for entry into an intermediate quarter final and charging €20 entry if you buy ticket at the gate. These aren't even double headers ffs.

Similarly I see on universe.com where tickets are being sold mayo senior club championship are charging €8 for entry and €10 in Meath Kildare and Kilkenny. How can they justify charging such prices. At this rate they be charging €40 for the county final.

What annoys me even more about this is that I was at our clubs last game and there was a co board official on the gate who was taking payment for entry and he had bundle of notes in one hand and change in other. Those who paid in got no receipt or ticket for record of their entrance. God knows how many paying patrons were recorded in what was lodged to bank ac. Surely after all the controversies over last few years they could have some sort of record keeping or paper trail for payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

What's the latest on the new hurling manager, who's likely to get it now?, last I heard Hanley had pulled out and Donohue was asked to reconsider, but, that could be just wild rumours. The appointment of the new manager seems to have been poorly handled so far, not looking good and looks like next year is likely to be another write off for the hurlers.

Theres rumours flying all over the shop. Even Shefflins name is being mentioned. Its a joke that the county championships are reaching quarter final stage and if we appoint a manager whos not familiar with the scene in Galway he won't know whats available at senior, never mind intermediate.

Joyce seems to be sticking around for 2022 so that can be written off too.

Turloughmore knocked out of the senior club championship.

How goes the farce of us appointing our hurling and football managers? And somehow people will expect us to compete in the championship in both codes next summer. If I was a player, what incentive is there to compete at inter-county level when this is the level of administration in the county? Players know how far behind other counties they will be in terms of organisation, fitness, etc. Why put in all that effort to be blown away again like against Mayo, Kerry, etc. Unacceptable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Cian O’Neill just announced as coach in PJ’s backroom team, can only be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Cian O Neill as coach is a very good appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

First bit of positive news in the county in a while. Excellent addition

• Advertisement

Has any of old gaurd left the backroom team?

Advertisement