Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So you think 99.5% will be happy paying 40,50,60,70,80,000euros and alot more on top of their existing mortgage to fix their homes. And who is going to lend them this money .

Didn't say that either @malinheader. What I did say was fairly straightforward so maybe you should just take 30 seconds and reread it?

Okay. You think that the people at the front of this campaign did so without input or consultation from the thousands of homeowners affected . So probably this is the 5% you mentioned. Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"It seems that 0.05% of those affected are talking for the other 99.5%."

Explain please as Im not sure where you sourced these figures.

There are families whose children are sleeping under a roof supported by crumbling blocks.

They may have a better chance of getting their home fixed if they weren't lumped in with investment properties and commercial buildings by the 0.05% of those affected who are leading the negotiations.

Some people could possibly repair their houses now but in 12 months a repair may no longer be a viable option but anything more than a repair may not be fully covered by a grant scheme then so time is absolutely critical for them.

People on the mica action group walked away at various stages of negotiations. These are people who may not have much of any experience of negotiations which puts the 99.5% of those affected and are being represented by these people at a huge disadvantage.

There should be a fundamental rethink on how this should be approached and the use of external advisors and negotiation experts.

Ah muffler I'm obviously saying that a tiny percentage of people are leading the negotiations. Basically the number of representatives which originally were on the Mica Action Group before they left throughout the negotiations.

Anyway, as a few people have said here, almost all of us support some financial assistance for those affected but not a 100% uncapped rebuild and from today it seems that this is also the position of the government.

A lot of the houses in Donegal are in such bad condition that they need some people working on their behalf that know what they are doing and how to get the best possible deal within the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There haven't been any negotiations. There have been submissions to a working group but not negotiations. The government will make up their own mind.

Obviously the people affected want the best outcome possible and the government have already said redress of some sort will be provided.

The ball is in govts court it is incumbent on them to make their decision now. Privately people may realize 100% redress but why say that at this stage.

This is not like a labour dispute where you can go on strike. The homeowners have virtually no leverage here.

Totally disrespectful to the people leading this campaign and who worked tirelessly on the working group. Give me some examples of how you can back up your claim that they acted without input or negotiations with 99.5% of the affected people as you said.

Sure 99.5% of the people could of gone for the 90/10 scheme. Sorry you know it was more like 60/40. But hey if you have a spare 60 or 70,000 lying about your ok.

• Advertisement

I wish all those affected luck in getting their homes repaired.

Basically what I was saying is that there may need to be a rethink on how this is approached in light of today's budget as what was tried in the past has not led to an acceptable outcome and there does not seem to be anything currently in progress that would ultimately lead to an acceptable outcome.

I am from the midlands currently living in Dublin so I have an insight into how both of these communities view the situation. 100% redress, no less built to original plans does not have the support you need so to keep demanding it against all odds without any consideration of any other alternatives is placing those who would accept a lesser solution at a disadvantage.

Can't give you sources for this so you're vindicated I suppose. Time for a tea.

The issue here is say I could afford to spend 40 or 50,000 and get my house repaired then a lesser scheme might suit me. But what about the couple with 2 or 3 young kids who can't even afford the 5 or 6,000 just to get a test done to tell them what they know. Is it fair. No. Everyone has to stick together so no one is left out. After all the homeowners are not responsible for what has happened here.

So you're talking about the committee members who are representing the mica action group and you are of the opinion that they do a disservice to everyone who has mica in their homes. That's one of the strangest opinions I've seen posted in this thread.

Michael McGrath on the RTE news says there's 40 million set aside for next year.

Padraig mc Laughlin tweeted a couple of hours ago it was only 20 million.

Wait a few more weeks to see what is offered.

Good luck to everyone affected.

If the budget today is anything to go by there will be many leaks to let you know how it is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This important post from someone with actual solid information is being lost in the bullshit. I am posting this in bold because even the mods seem to be more interested in a bitchfest.

Post edited by muffler on

Dont push it. Leave the bold text to the forum mods please.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

Oh look, it's me/my family!

If nothing else, I hope the price comes down. Logically, our house/neighbours both have mica blocks, but getting it tested is way out of our budget.

Knowing one way or the other would be a huge load off our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why the use of the term 'dream home'?

Its just their home. They just want their home back the way it was when they moved into it. What's wrong with that?

They paid plenty of taxes to build their home, and were let down. I don't see why it should be that some people want them to accept a house half the size of the one they bought/built, simply because it would cost more to rebuild/fix their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I get the notion that FF/FG have given up on holding any seats in Donegal, Paddy Diver likely takes Mc Conalogues and John O Donnell takes over from the already semi-retired McHugh,

Well, because of the cost NIMAN. That is the only reason.

If extra money is spent on that it stands to reason that things like USC will continue for longer which will reduce our take-home pay when some of us are also paying off a mortgage on a house in Dublin where they don't come cheap and paying for crèche fees which are very high.

We would like the government to help those affected but not keep spending our taxes or plunging us further into debt which will require many years of further taxation at a time when we are getting hammered on the cost of living in Dublin because that is where our jobs are.

I don't care how big someone's house is or how many bedrooms they have. I just care about the efficient use of our taxes and debt burden. It is things like this that are moving the pension age from 65 to 68 and maybe more by the time some of us retire.

When I say that we are part of a society that helps eachother that means food, safety and shelter within reason. Enough should be provided that all those affected can have a safe home that is appropriate to their needs. If they want to put extra on top of that to get something more then that is fine, they should be facilitated. These people should be able to avail of a grant scheme (not redress).

I don't agree that I should pay extra tax to protect the asset value of someone who purchased an investment property no more than I should pay taxes to protect the asset value of someone who invested in Bank of Ireland shares but I am willing to contribute to principle private residences within a reasonable cap.

I really do think that is reasonable while knowing that nobody affected by mica will agree. I hope the government agrees with me even though it will be unpopular in Donegal and with Sinn Fein voters.

The need is not 100% redress, the need is a suitable family home.

As I don't see anything coming from this and am not sure why I spoke up in an environment that anything other that die hard support is shot down I'll take my leave.

Good luck to everyone involved. I hope you have a safe place to live as quickly as possible whatever the outcome the government decides.

First off, Donohoe already said today USC is here to stay. And it has nothing to do with Mica redress.

Not sure what creche fees in Dublin have got to do with the argument. I have been listening to high creche fees in the country for at least a decade now. It was around long before Mica, and will be around after Mica.

And as for the pension age moving. Thats happening all over the world. Again nothing to do with the cost of Mica redress. If Mica didn't exist, we would all be working longer anyway. And spending the money to fix Mica homes will have next to no effect on the pension retirement age. Or creche fees. Or cost of living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Hello & my sympathies to those suffering, I've no dog in this fight but I am in favour of full redress.

My only fear is builders price gouging knowing it's a blank cheque. I take it am independent QS agrees a cost with the builder & then contracts are signed by both parties. I take it the government payment may only cover builders finish so are the homeowners liable for tiling, kitchen, flooring etc.

With the amount of unknowns to be sorted before a legal contract can be drawn up I can see this process dragging on years. All I'll say is don't lose public support cause some reporter finds out that Kathleen O'Hara is getting brushed aluminum electrical sockets/switches in their new home where the one demolished had basic plastic. There will be parties online & in print looking to undermine you any way they can, be alert to this. The government may only be 100% on your side if it gets them votes.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

"They have admitted their liability and thats why they are committed to a redress scheme."

Can you post a link or something to where "the authorities" have admitted their liability?

They may have admitted to negligence and shortcomings, but liability? That would surprise me.

Perhaps liability was the wrong word, yes maybe I should have said they have admitted they didn't regulate properly, hence the reason they are developing a redress scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've literally highlighted one of the most important posts on the thread and you're reducing my highlighting of it and admonishing me because I set the type in bold? Is setting text in bold now banned on this thread?

Yes. And do not discuss moderation issues on thread . Take it to PM please if you need further clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

But has any official body even said that there was regulatory failure? (Maybe they have, but I thought they were saying responsibility for compliance rests with the manufacturers - which is what you'd expect.)

Both government and local authorities have responsibilities towards people at risk of homelessness, and I'd have thought that would be the motivation for a redress scheme if it helped avoid homelessness. Otherwise, you'd be moving families into B&Bs in Bundoran.

Advertisement