Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,747 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Several months ago in relation to medicines.

Did you read where Tony quoted the EU - 'easements within the Protocol'?

What you have also been told will happen for months now.

Tomorrow the EU deliver on their word, easing the operation of the Protocol in northern Ireland, Johnson, Frost and their lackeys have to continue to lie about EU intransigence now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,647 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Of course they're going to change EU law. Who ever said they wouldn't?

What they're not proposing to change is the Protocol. As predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If the unionists want to be part of the UK, implement what is not already in the North. A lot of unionists have close links to Scotland and if you go to Scotland you see road signs in English and Gaelic. This is something they are against. If they want to protocol to say why have they not come out and said so?

All the bad bits gone and all the good bits kept as downcow says. Would be remarkable to see it turned down now by Frost and Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Francie the usual posters will support each other here to try and give some credibility to their spin but everyone can see right through it.

i have been mocked and laughed off the thread for saying that:

1) the checks would be massively decreased to common sense

2) Eu will make exceptions for us and not apply their rules the same to us as to the rest of the world

3) the Eu will change laws to accommodate us and I gave example of medicines

4) I disagreed with those of you who said the Uk must meet it’s obligations on eg giving access to import data before eu would make any moves to easements - this was your big one francie😂

Well now, if the rumours are true I was 100% correct and you and your supporters were 100% wrong.

the surprise to me is that it all came wrapped up with a ribbon before Christmas - and a little love letter saying, there’s more if you need it Astonishing! Beyond my most wildest hopes as a starting point.

of course we will not accept it as job done. The objective is to get the best result possible and, a bit like the shinners Ui project, it’s a work in progress. We will get more ‘easements’ in the negotiations and we will get the already very limited reach of the eu court in ni further reduced.

of these rumours are true then is good for gb & roi, but excellent for ni

• Advertisement

Yes. Although, it would be strange negotiating to just accept their first offer, especially when it comes with an invite to ask for more and uk did meme Eu courts as a red line.

yes a remarkable very generous offer which I personally would accept to maintain good will (if the rumours are true). I’d imagine coveney etc are frantically trying behind the scenes to get it reduced - and they may succeed temporarily

Why would they want the offer reduced? The less hassle between Ireland and the UK, the better.

I hope you are correct. Maybe I am being influenced too much by some posters on here who seem to dispise any success for ni. I haven’t seen coveny etc make any positive contribution to improving ni position.

but I am glad to here from you that you don’t think that’s the case

The other wonderful rumour is that the Eu is going to ask for all food in ni is to be marked ‘northern Ireland’. Yes please. If PR company was wanting to promote ni with everyone it would die for this but simply couldn’t afford to pay for such widespread brand placement. I really hope this is true.

I think that refers to food imported into NI for consumption in NI; it should be so labelled to assist in identifying it as food not intended for reexport to the EU, and therefore not needing the same level of scrutiny.

The food identified by this label will, by definition, not be NI produce. And it won't circulate outside NI, so the label will do nothing to raise awareness abroad of anything to do with NI.

It's already the case that food produced in NI, and exported to the EU, needs to be labelled either as produce of NI or as produce of UK. If NI government thinks there is advantage in promoting NI as a brand, presumably they can encourage (or require?) NI producers to use the NI rather than UK label. That might offend some at Westminster, but the EU will be fine with it.

• Advertisement

I've pointed out to you that it isn't the case, and explained the reasons why it wouldn't be. You didn't disagree with me at the time. I'm puzzled as to wyou you still manage to think that the Irish government wants to maximise the controls on NI/GB trade that are needed to protect the Single Market. It's glaringly obvious that it's very much in their interests to have the minimal constraints that will serve that purpose.

The pressures to maximise the controls have always come from the UK, where the UK government says that it wants the controls minimised, but consistently acts in ways that are likely to maximise them. At some point the unionist movement is going to have to come to terms with the consequences and implications of this, and of the attitude to the union which it discloses.

The reason you are having trouble (looks like you don't fully understand what has been give here) is that you never listened to what you were being told. You were told the EU would use the flex and easement built into the Protocol to alleviate the problems. Again and again posters told you that.

That is what has happened and it has snookered the UK, who have had to come out with a 'higher bar' now because they set it too low before.

The EU have once again done what they promised, and the UK and Unionists have to find a way to reject it. Because the Protocol undermines all the lies about Brexit. The Oven Ready deal has gone bad.

Laughable stuff really.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Think about what you're being offered though. In order for GB companies to sell you your NI specific products with their NI specific branding (which cannot be sold within the EU), you are looking at increased packaging costs. How many companies will do this for such a small market? Will you now see a reduction in the availability of GB sourced products in NI because it simply isn't worth the additional packaging costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Well last night the ECJ business was a deal-breaking redline but this morning per Oliver Dowden it isn't a red line and the UK doesnt wish to undermine NI's status in the single market.

I think the ECJ redline is an anchor to hoist up the max level of concession while the whole 'Sefcovic argued with Macron for the British and won' is about making it seem like victory to unionists and Brits.

I really hope this session of talks ends the matter, as entertaining as this thread is...

Athough the devil in me would love to see an election in NI just now

No. The cost of applying a "destined for NI" label is trivial, and if it avoids significant compliance costs or checks or delays, that's a big saving. There'll be two groups that benefit; GB producers who are already exporting to NI and bearing costs associated with checks, etc who won't have to bear those costs any more, and GB producers who aren't exporting to NI because the costs are too great to make it viable, but who find that the much lower costs of using the label mean that exporting to NI can be profitable. NI consumers will also benefit, though modestly, in slightly lower prices for GB-produced goods or having a slightly wider range of GB-produced goods available or possibly a bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd imagine any identification as being for NI / UK market only would have to be an integral part of the packaging rather than an easily removable label.

Depending on how prominent the identification needs to be it could require the packaging manufacturer to revise the packaging print.

Well, we'll see.

The EU offer may serve to drive a wedge between the pragmatists and the ideologues in the Tory party. There have been some straws in the wind suggeing that Frost's star in the party was waning. Johnson is reported to have tired of Brexit and of the time and attention it is consuming; the overriding message at last weeks party conference from ministers was that they are "over the EU" and both Brexit and the EU were conspicuous by how little attention they received in the keynote speeches. Even Liz Truss's keynote as Foreign Secretary treated the matter as one of no importance to the EU. Frost was relegated to a speaking slot at 9:10 am on the Monday morning; about 50 delegates (out of I think 4,000 or so) turned up to hear him.

So, the EU offer is an attractive one to anyone in the Tory party who genuinely does want to "get Brexit done" -as in, be done with Brexit. It addresses any issue that the UK might raise that could reasonably be argued as being of practical significance, or as having traction with stakeholders in NI. The only people who won't jump at it are those who are invested in True Brexit™ and in permanent conflict with the EU, of whom Frost is the most prominent.

People like Dowden welcoming the offer is not a surprise. He himself is not a particularly influential figure in the party, but he may represent a large class of those who feel there is no advantage for the UK in continuing the argument with Europe. Frost may find that the party simply won't tolerate him rejecting this offer, and he may have to choose between swallowing his pride and sacrificing his career.

From that point of view the line that downcow is pushing that this is a famous victory for HMG's steely resolve is actually a problem for Frost since, the more people believe that the EU offer is a famous victory, the harder it is for him to argue that it should be turned down. But in order to accept it, he's going to have to concede that the Protocol as it stands is is just fine.

False dichotomy! We can all testify from bitter experience that not all labels are easily removable. As long as the label can't be removed without damaging the packaging (so rendering the goods unsaleable) it will serve its purpose. And labels that can't be removed without damaging the packaging are extremely common.

I agree with you here, Frost seems to be on a bit of a solo run here.

It will be interesting to see what Unionism does next, they have been put in a difficult position here again...by themselves I might add. Blindsided by the EU's willingness to use the easements and flexibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The NI label will facilitate those who want to avoid products from GB too. 🤫

• Advertisement

You miss my point. More and more people are becoming very comfortable with ‘northern Ireland’ but still the shinners can’t even utter the words. They want to pretend it doesn’t exist. To have it written on many of our food products is excellent for making it more and more acceptable. The shinners will have to explain to their kids at the kitchen table where this place is lol

There are still of course problems to resolve.

the suggestion that any product with parts from outside the Uk will still need checked, will need challenged.

it will I imagine put clear blue water between the unionist parties at a time they were trying to work together.

I see uup saying we are nearly there

dup saying we need no authority from Eu

TUV saying protocol must go in its entirety

but that’s fine with me. I like a bit of water between them and I’ll prob be with the uup

The danger for you is that almost everyone will chose based on price and taste. When you see the package in your kitchen don’t choke on the sausages 😀

More likely they will point to the sausages and say 'these sausages represent the failure of Unionists to remove the border between them and the UK, gobble them up kids!'. 😁

It's bizarre how how Ireland used to be a banana republic but now it's the UK that is the banana republic (monarchy?).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The fact you now have to label goods amplifies the difference between the North and GB. How will they check if these goods coming into the North has this label? At the ports when they dock I guess. So still a hard border with more red tape. But let politians claim this as a win.

• Advertisement

This is nonsense. There is loads of information that needs to go on food packages and no one is standing at the border to see calorific content is on them.

you just don’t get the concept of trusted trading. You’ll get it when Eu announce their starting offer tonight.

Advertisement