Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

It was the JooVuu camera and app. iOS version

Some drivers, seriously. No matter how much education is given and marketing campaigns run, there will always be one. This is exactly why we need protected infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Imagine beeping at kids. Held up for a few seconds because they're turning, god forbid someone uses the road. Bugs me people beep for being 'held up' because they can easily get back up to speed. You'd swear they had to use their feet like the Flintstones to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a bizarre interaction today approaching this roundabout and there's a van turning right but straddling both lanes. I'm in the left and a guy decides there's enough room for the 3 of us in the left lane I left a roar and he just floors it through. Insult to injury he's stopped 50m later picking up someone from the bus stop at the Springfield hotel. I cycle past and he shouts something like there was plenty of room I didn't bother to engage but he annoyed me. Then as I'm cycling around this bend I hear a car accelerate from behind me and he passes me with plenty of room on the wrong side of the road! It's another pointless pass as there's a queue of traffic just around the bend and he's shouting at me as I approach 5 seconds later. He wants to know if that was enough room for me!! Not proud of myself I told him he was a clown and I'd of given him the benefit of the doubt on the first pass but the second confirmed it! The traffic moved off and he went with them I was just left shaking my head he could have caused a serious accident to make a point!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The number of crap overtakes both on the approach and also on the roundabout itself (when I'm taking the first left towards Leixlip) has resulted in me clearly taking the lane to the point that there clearly isn't room to overtake without risking their paintwork.

The clown overtaking you into the bend is just utter stupidity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would put it down to entitlement more than stupidity - its an act of aggression.

Thats why the media approach to cycling riles me up so much - it feeds into this entitlement in a big way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Pr1ck

I've never liked this stretch of road. Park would be ideal shortcut but the kissing gates aren't bike friendly. Used to cut through the park going to Tesco every week a few years ago. Funny the bike lane on the right side of the road further down in the video leads towards the park. I think the council are considering a crossing for the park. Would also like to see bollards put up to stop cars parking on the grass when the car park isn't full but that's a different topic...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

That’s a terrible junction, in fact the whole road is a pain for cyclists especially at school times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Naturally I anticipated what I thought this idiot would do.

What I didn't do was anticipate what he actually did 🙄One plot was lost as a reult:

Brown shorts moment for sure!!!!!

EDIT: If he'd hit you he'd have probably said your bike was too expensive when asked for his insurance details and offering to pay cash rather than go through insurance.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The verge of that road is easily wide enough for an off-road bike lane. Instead it looks like a shocking POS for cyclists to have to ride on.

There's plans for a school about 1km in the opposite direction of where this video is where there's on street parking to the left of an off road lane so traffic needs to cross the bike lane, big hazard for someone pulling out in front of a cyclist along with kids getting out of the car and stepping into the lane. Poor planning for something that is all new infrastructure and planned in recent years. They're not thinking because they don't cycle and simply don't care and it will be left that way as the bike lane already exists. Funny enough, 5 minutes down the road there's an off road bike lane along the schools in Adamstown where the parallel car parking isn't an issue...

The bike lane is also completely covered in gravel from construction traffic because it's almost level with the road as opposed to a full raised curb.

Two close passes within minutes of each other this afternoon. I was heading home early to go to Lucan Gardai station to give a statement and submit the video of the black Nissan above. Open videos in the YouTube app for the 360 version for the visceral feel.

On a positive note the Gardai I spoke to today were sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would have left a cleat impression. in his passenger door

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not a near miss but could easily have been the end of a kid in a buggy or someone coming out from one of the side entrances - absolutely feckin mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Will that be reported? Looks shocking.

Christ. Imagine coming out your gate buggy first.

The hatches on the back and rolled up cover say tar lorry to me

• Advertisement

I love the comments on twitter saying "he's not going that fast". Probably the same people who complain endlessly about "cyclists on the footpath".

This happened yesterday, exact same spot as the one above. I **** despair.

What's the craic with the similar trucks that carry filler material, should they have nets on them to stop rocks leaving the truck? Seeing that truck I'm reminded of something that happened to me about a month ago/end of August maybe. Maybe I posted about it here can't remember now .

I was on foot on the Dublin Rd (R132) in Drogheda. Heading toward town just passed the entrance to the train station but before the Circle K and truck passes me heading out of town (few pot holes there that are no more as of this week) and sense I something pass the back of my head and hear a bang to my right as a rock the size of my fist hits the wall and lands at my feet!!!!!!!

I did the lotto that day, didn't win 😂

Yep. They should.

Better run sites wont let them off the site without it in place.

Bit plenty poor sites (usually housing) use cheapest trucks and nobody either side cares

The roundabouts heading to Donore/M1 from Drogheda can be littered with rocks on the edges at times. Those are trucks heading to local sites or to the port I think from various site out around Donore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting to see the response from a councillor:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting how the councillor finds fault with the council for this.

Simply too much to of a leap to point the finger at the driver.

This type of driving is very familiar to anyone who commutes on Richmond Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my usual concern with this is that going after the company (or whoever allowed this) would be more effective than going after the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Bit harsh on Healy, its pretty obvious to anyone that sees that video that the drivers behavior is appalling here. Should be reported and dealt with accordingly. He has a good record on representing cycling imo.

I think that he's referring to the the fact that the council are deliberately funneling the trucks down a very narrow road and that that plan is a p1ss poor one. I cycle this way daily and its a very common occurrence - albeit normally at a more sedate speed. There simply isn't room to let a car and truck pass on this road. This road has needed widening for years, Fingal are simply waiting for a developer to pay for it once its developed.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't widening the road involve taking away multiple house's garden space to the front?

Advertisement