Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ireland playing with zip and go for a change. But Stephen Kelly way OTT on the excitement. He only remembered it is just a friendly a few minutes ago.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Compared to the previous time Ireland played Qatar it is night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

As someone said Qatar might be poor tonight but how many times have we often came up against a poor team but struggled to break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

10/10 performances for everyone on the pitch tonight, except for Duffy and Robinson who get 11.

Idah would need a pen does not seem right at dunno if it is a confidence thing, because he was not well or both. Connolly has the effort but not the skill. Would need to combine the two lads to make a player!

• Advertisement

I like the Jerseys as well St Patrick’s blue and big fecking shamrock, that’s the job. They should bring back that Shamrock Logo, full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Decent performance, striker scoring, clean sheet, more debuts, that'll do for me

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

4-0 up, about 90 seconds left on the clock and they're still not finished.

God it's so refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Fully agree but anything would be better than the current monstrosity of a crest Ireland has. Never spoke to a single person who likes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Callum Robinson on 22 or so caps and is now looking the part.

an extreme example of my theory that players, especially young players, are basically on work experience until they get to the 20 mark.

I’ll judge Parrott, Idah and Connolly after that 20 cap mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Wonderful entertainment tonight. Team look like they’re enjoying themselves now, and what a difference an in-form striker can make!

it’s difficult to tell with so little games and the opposition, but looks like there’s something to build on now. The Portugal game should be good in a packed stadium and hopefully we can go to Luxembourg and close out the campaign with a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So we're all agreed then, we have to keep wearing blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Best performance under Kenny and one of the best Irish performances I've seen in years.

The best part was to see Kelleher, Knight, Parrott, Omobamdiele, and Nathan Collins all the end the night on the pitch together. The future of Irish football is looking very exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Duffy again, though. I keep saying it but what a turnaround in form!

Fully agree. With the hairstyle Jeff Hendrick looked like he was a 90s Italian footballer. But all seriousness it is a nice jersey and should use it more often until next September.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This 'the opposition' craic really is a red herring.

We have very rarely had comfortable wins over teams below us in the rankings in recent years, and Qatar are actually ranked above us going into the night.

Forget about the Euro qualifiers. The Nations League is the real test because we'll be playing teams deemed to be at 'our level'. Don't forget we can secure a playoff spot for Euro 2024 with a good performance in that.

The best performance we've seen under Kenny. At the same time, Qatar were the worst team we've played against, and that includes Andorra who at least gave us a sweat. Having Duffy back and in form has been huge for us. His anticipation of danger tonight was McGrath-esque at times. Robinson was immense, he can link play up, create chances, and finish all in one. We've no one else doing that right now. Hendrick was the pick of the midfielders. Didn't put a foot wrong all tonight and was the most aggressive I've ever seen him, you could see even towards the end he was desperate to get forward.

Luxembourg will be a stiffer test, but if we play like we do tonight, then we should get the win and if there's no slip against Luxembourg, I'd be incline to extend Kenny's contract to after the Nations League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Hourihane at least doubled the number of touches of the ball he's had in his entire Ireland career tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They guy who designed it just does the same design every time and Fs off with the cash.

Israel and I think Slovakia and Montenegro are identical to ours just with a different symbol instead of a shamrock.

As for Qatar (not Dubai) do they have enough time between now and the World Cup to naturalize some better Brazilians ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭secman

Qatar even 😉

Dubai is in the United Arab Emirates, I think you mean Doha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

On the ball both were excellent especially Hendrick. When Qatar had the ball they were a little too easy to get through which lead to Qatar getting to run at our defense a few times. In fairness Hendrick tracked back well most of the time but we wouldn't want to allow a better team than Qatar get as many chances to run at the backline.

Otherwise that was a fantastic performance tonight. Always looked a threat and the defense was super. Controlled the play in midfield most of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The main thing was the intensity from start to finish.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who thought after the first goal we'd fall back as usual but we didn't.

That's positive.

Qatar were awful so it's a very qualified success despite the four goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle made a move for Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Callum Robinson can score a penalty without looking. Impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hendrick actually played well tonight which was a nice surprise. I don't think Hourihane or Doherty offered much of significance though. Watching Hourihane he was running from one side of the pitch to the other but not getting in any decent positions to get the ball and distribute it forward.

Stevens also had a good game imo and is a contender for the left back position again. Have to feel for O'Shea. Got injured at the wrong time and will struggle to get back into the team. Omobamidele I think has claimed the position as his own. Hasn't had a bad game in green (or blue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Much better performance from Ireland - Why were we wearing blue jerseys , looked alright , if a bit italian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Qatar are the Asian Champions

We need a hurricane to push us to Far East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It looks like what it is - an awful, dated graphic from 2004. This is the longest that the FAI have had the same crest too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

7 goals and 0 conceded in 2 games, great stuff. It's a long way from that dire run of no goals. Hopefully we go and take points off Portugal and scupper their qualification.

That Portugal game will be a good barometer of where Kenny’s Kids are at now. Let’s see what a confident youthful side can do against the Portuguese lads and yer man.

It should be some sort of clear shamrock something that even foreigners would say - oh thats that Irish ☘️ one. Kept simple. Even my phone tells me to use ☘️ for Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Come on you boys in blue

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Allez les bleus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Deleted post

Made a joke, then realised it had already been made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's absolutely painful to listen to. I know Hourihane was grand but realistically all he did was recycle and always choose the easier pass, Kelly spent a minute or two late on to espouse all Hourihanes qualities and great performance, get a grip. Get Ronnie and his misery back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It was a fantastic performance last night, even the most cynical individual would find it hard to criticise any aspects of that performance, maybe quality of opposition aside.

By far the most complete performance we've put in under Kenny and I would go as far as saying it was the most positive performance in the Aviva stadium since we bet Bosnia in 2015. Robinson tore their defence apart, he dropped deep, ran at them, threatened in behind. Hendrick was unbelievable. I've given him so much criticism in the past, but if you never saw him play before and watched him last night you'd think he was a world class player. Duffy made defending look easy and was delighted to see him score and be heavily involved in the build up to Robinson third.

Above everything else it was such an enjoyable game to be at. Good football on display, young players on the pitch who were delighted to play for their country. Lots of young supporters in the stands and I'm sure they will be itching to get back to watch their team play. You'd forget it can feel that nice to watch Ireland play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I wouldnt go as far as bring Ronnie back, I find him unbearable to be honest.

But totally agree on Kelly. Listening to his commentary is a bit like listening to my 8 year old nephew describe the kickaround he played at lunchtime. He gets so excited he can't even get all the words out.....and everything is over hyped 😀 Just like Kelly!

I actually cringe listening to Kelly at times. During the summer I made a point of switching to another channel for every Euros game he was on. Just couldn't take all his fawning and gushing praise.

Kelly was at pains to point out how poor Qatar were. Ireland played very well against a team that looked jaded. Scored a bunch of goals and created loads of chances. I don't think Kelly insinuated anything more.

Some people just want any angle to give out about the team/performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What are you on about? The post was in relation to Kelly, not the team or performance. He was like a giddy schoolchild and has next to nothing insightful to offer. Lisa Fallon is a thousand times better as a contributor. The bit about Hourihane was an example of Kelly going OTT on any and everything, Hourihane was fine last night but listening to Kelly you'd think he was talking about Ballack, Gerrard et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It was a good win last night and a great atmosphere in the ground as well 25749 is a massive crowd for a Tuesday night friendly against Qatar.

The most impressive thing was how we set the tone right from the start Qatar are known as a team who like to play out from the back and we didn't let them the amount of times we turned them over in their half in the first 15 minutes was exceptional Hendrick Robinson and McGrath were immense.

As far as Stephen Kenny goes it seems to me like he has finally found his strongest 11 after floundering around looking for it for 20 games and I think on the balance of probabilities deserves to lead our next qualifying campaign but it has to be sh1t or get off the pot time then.

P.S Enda Stevens has to play over McClean at left wing back.

Like i said Kelly was at pains to say how poor Qatar were. Maybe I should have said 'some people want any angle to complain'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He just needs time!! By Euro 2046 he'll have a settled team and watch us go!!!!!!!!!!

Think barring LWB the back six picks itself. Think Doherty might actually get the nod again against Portugal if Coleman is fit. Cullen and Hendrick have those midfield two positions locked down. Feel Jamie McGrath has played himself into the starting XI and Callum Robinson has cement his position of being undroppable. Idah will probably come back in next game but Robinson looked good in that CF position last night and was given freedom to roam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Imagine mick McCarthy ball last night

That jersey is SEXY.

The crest is also magnificent and should be our crest from here on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement