Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sure you did bud 🤣 I've already insulated the attic and have a gas combi boiler but still have to cough up the carbon taxes. Still waiting for your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone know how I get the free stuff?

Scumbag family down the road here in a council house. I know them well. Never a day of work done in their life.

They just had the council fit solar panels on the roof, new windows and doors and full external wrap. House was in grand shape as in already had double glazing windows and stuff but what's that about 40 - 50 k worth of gear?

Not only will the **** be warmer and now pay even less on bills, they now have more money for cans. I **** love cans so how the **** do I get all that for nothing? Seems bonkers to me.

Social houses and those on welfare are getting this all fully paid for to get deep retro fitting done. For the average punter who goes out to work the best suggestion, as per this thread, is buy yourself a few rolls of insulation and maybe a few extra jumpers for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

A huge program going on to upgrade council houses. They probably never paid for the heating in the first place so it is saving the money government

some. Carbon taxes in general are regressive. In general, in any country, imposing taxes on fuel is regressive.

Far better to offer a carrot. Replacing luminescent lights was an example. The carrot here should be decent public transport and maybe we should promote or subsidise hybrids to begin with so that people can still travel but use less fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Lot of those old council houses are in dire need of upgrading. Glad to hear the council are getting around to it.

How many is some?

Hybrids and electric cars have subsidies since 2010 or around then.

We have a SEAI system, which is broke, to help people upgrade houses.

Puboic transport is getting money ploughed into it all the time.

What about working people who live in houses that need serious upgrading? The deep retro fit programme is closed for new applicants for some bizarre reason. If you are not in a social house or on welfare it's basically 2 fingers to you but you need to keep coughing up to pay for higher energy bills and all that lovely carbon tax money anyway.

The only grants as per SEAI website that I would qualify for are the solar panel and above type grants. I can’t afford the difference.

Our boiler was replaced last year and we put in a condenser boiler. I don’t think changing to LPG (even with the free boiler) would have been cheaper as the oil tank and pipework would need to be replaced, the garden would then need reinstating, the CH/HW controls would need changing too which would mean a reconfigure of some internal pipework (I think). Does the free gas boiler include the commissioning too?

Id be interested in knowing the complete cost to change over to LPG.

Why would you change to LPG if you just bought a new boiler? the only people i would see changing is if they had an older boiler and non condensing.

• Advertisement

I’m not gonna change my new boiler. I was just trying to work out is it really any cheaper even with the free boiler offer. It’s not just a swap out of old for new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The big issue with carbon taxes is that they are supposed to encourage change, to look at other options. But for many citizens, there either are no options like public transport to get them to school, work, shops and even where there are possible options like EVs or house refits, they are prohibitively expensive. If the plan is to switch energy use to electricity, well we know we have supply problems in the next few years at least. So encouraging more loading on the esb networks is daft at the moment.

If carbon taxes are levied on heating & motor fuels, the reality is that there should be carbon taxes on electricity as well - since a good proportion of electricity is still generated from fossil fuels. What's the point is charging up your fancy EV with elec generated from gas? I'm looking out the window here at the industrial scale windfarm across the way and the blades are barely turning on a few of the giant turbines.

Heaping carbon taxes on recent increases in motor and heating fuels is just plain politically daft. This government will not be around to answer questions in the future as rural Ireland will f*** them out of power next election.

The only thing that might save their bacon in this regard is another national lockdown for Covid, as citizens will then be confined and unable to travel any great distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

and what government will rural ireland vote in? FG again? they were the ones who introduced carbon taxes.

Just read the T&Cs on new Free Boiler from Calor gas. The offer ended at the end of August with last installation date being 30th September just gone. They need to update their front page

THe free boiler has been on/off for years. Ring them and see if they can/cant do

This "rural Ireland" is fired out as if everyone outside of a city is living in sheds and only drive around in diesel cars. If you drive around the countryside now you will find the uptake in electric cars is growing. With the ability to easily fit a charge point at house with larger driveway etc it is making more sense for people to swap to electric especially as the cost savings are massive compared to someone driving a few km each day in a city.

If you look at the new builds in the countryside they are in the majority highly insulated and all run in geothermal, my brother built his house circa 2005 and was geothermal along with everyone else in the area.

If anything the people in the countryside are pushign ahead with the Green agenda more than city based, mostly because they can save money. Yes they have agri vehicles if farmers but that runs on agri diesel.

Fossil fuels are not going to be around forever, either you do it now or never. Especially when we can expect fines if we dont reduce.

The ESB network still has plenty of capacity at night so not sure what the concern is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No you don't do it now or never.

You do it when you have put the proper ground work, infrastructure and planning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also **** rural ireland all decided to live in the middle of nowhere and to be totally car reliant and difficult to provide services to. I'm sick to death listening to them whingeing about everything, you made your own bungalow blight mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

..and fcuk those that chose to live in the bigger towns and cities, pressurizing our public infrastructures and services to near breaking point............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t which ‘rural’ you’ve experienced, but in my neck of the woods rural yes people are driving around in diesel cars, having their septic tanks emptied into the local farmers slurry pit, and burning their household rubbish on Sunday mornings.

When will that be? its like saying we will fix the M50 with another lane, by the time the next lane is finished they need another lane

The population in Ireland is growing and the country can't come to a standstill while we work out what to do.

The rural I have experienced is the one I live in. The way people go on around here you would think everyone who lives in the country side is about 20 years behind everyone else.

In reality most people living in countryside are ahead of the pack. Geothermal system installed many years ago when in cities etc it was oil/gas been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

While the poor sod up the road going out to work every morning and scrapping to fed and take care of his family looks on and wonders where he will find the money to even heat his own home now having to pay extra taxes to fund those upgrades.

You could not come up with a more inept way of selling a political policy to the squeezed middle, (the people who actually go out and vote) if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The only person I know with geothermal had to have an oil boiler installed as a boost a few years ago. It’s been an expensive mistake for them, vastly underperformed what was promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Green loons in the Belgian government want to close down their nuclear reactors and replace them with....gas 😂

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-nuclear-power-government-climate-greens/

Its funny how the world is about to end but the loons (and the EU) still have a problem with nuclear as an immediate solution, it's almost as if this is all driven by ideology rather than impending doom

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We can limit immigration, that would really lower our carbon footprint

Not interested? Funny that, apparently the planet doesnt need saving that badly 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its driven by many things, including ideologies, and our urgencies, but i do think many on the left are dropping the ball in regards nuclear, only time will tell i guess

Yes it those immigrants who are the problem.🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Same here, plus their electricity bill had gone through the roof.

Advertisement