Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football City Break

• 07-10-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing a European City Break taking in a match?

Looking to combine a city break with a game and looking for recommendations/advice.

Considering Dortmund for next spring but don't know how easy it is (or where to start) to get tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If I were going to Dortmund I would stay in Dusseldorf rather than Dortmund, it's about an hour away on the train

Dusseldorf is lively, I don't think Dortmund is

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Thanks, I was looking at flights last night and the prices to DUsseldorf were very good.

Anyone been to a game in Berlin? Was in Berlin years ago but was too young to appreciate the history - would love to visit again and take in a game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Haven't been to a game there, but the city is brilliant. Have been a few times, and heading later this month again. And Union Berlin have been doing quite well in the Bundesliga, so a game would probably be good craic. Seems an easy stadium to reach by train too.

Great stuff. I think Herta play out of the Olympic Stadium which is obviously a very historic venue.

Wonder how easy it is to get tickets for some of these European clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Agree here. Dusseldorf is definitely a nicer place to stay. Also your match ticket (if you can source one) also works as your train ticket from anywhere in NRW.

OP, if you can't get Dortmund tickets you could still base yourself in Dusseldorf anyway where Dusseldorf (2.BL), Koln, Schalke (2.BL), Leverkusen and Gladbach are all less than an hour away on the train. You're almost guaranteed to be able to get to two of them over a weekend and once 100% capacity is back, they'll all be easier to get tickets for than Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Simple to get Hertha tickets. They rarely sell out as the Olympia Stadion is too big for them.

I don't know about Europe as a whole as I've really only got experience of Germany, but outside of Dortmund and Bayern who are generally sold out, you can usually buy tickets directly off the club websites.

Great advice there, never thought of a double-header!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was at a Dusseldorf v Paderborn game in 2.BL back in 2009.

First game of the season.

Honestly it was rubbish.

The stadium which is a very impressive 40k odd arena was only half full, it was 3-0 to Dusseldorf by HT, all goals scored at the opposite end to where I was.

There were lively and colourful Dusseldorf fans behind the goal in the lower section at the end I was but even their enthusiasm did not make up for the overall dead atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I have been to two Hertha Berlin matches. Berlin is an Excellent city, lots to see and do, good food and transport also. It was very easy to get tickets to the matches I was at in 2016 and 2019, tickets were around €27 for a corner seat and €22 for a seat behind the goals above the Ultras section. That price also includes public transport in the hours before and after the matches.

You could also consider Vienna and Prague if you're willing to accept a non-big five league. Both are fantastic cities, they also have plenty of football clubs so you're spoilt for choices with regards matches. Slavia Prague's ground is very easy to get to and the Prague Derby I was at in March 2020 had one of the best atmospheres and fan displays I've seen and heard. Both Austria Vienna and Rapid Vienna have great modern grounds and usually have excellent atmospheres. Tickets are easy to get unless it's a derby match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I second Vienna. Lisbon another city that's easy to get tickets for either Sporting or Benfica.

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to games in Italy?

Looking at Milan in spring as another possibility. Could maybe get a double header given there's a few Seria A sides within a couple of hours of Milan.

Was in Italy years ago and from recollection, the train service is excellent and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was in Krakow last month and got to a Wisla game. The girl in the ticket office put us in with the ultras. Was definitely an experience I'd not had before but definitely better to be outside their signing section as you don't have a clue what they're saying really.

Top city with the perfect amount of things for a 2 or 3 day break with Salt Mines, the Royal Castle and Auschwitz as other good (depending on your definition for the latter😬) things to do in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

iv got myself to Barcelona (multiply times ) , Madrid, Munich & Roma in recent years ,

Munich was my favourite but Barcelona was handy as a friend lived there & had season tickets ,

Roma felt dodgy the whole time there ,

Madrid looks a decent bet as you also have Real Vallecano and Getafe so there's a chance for a double-header. Might be hard getting tickets for Atleti at the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Was in Munich a couple of years ago for a city break and found tickets handy enough got on Bayerns website.

They stuffed Wolfsburg 6-0 so not much of a spectacle but the stadium is incredible and sitting having a few pints of beer watching the game was most enjoyable.

Munich a really good city too with plenty to see and lots of watering holes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I reckon you'd still get tickets , Iv always found going to games in Spain easier to get tickets than anywhere else , Also there is never more than a couple of hundred away fans its odd like that

Are the stadium's fully open over there now ?

I think they are moving to full capacity at the turn of the year. I'm looking at a spring visit so should be fully open then.

Just an update, we opted for Madrid in the end.

Great city and plenty of interest for football fans. Took in an Atleti match, Wanda Metropolitano is a fantastic stadium, good atmosphere and it's easy to get to and, more importantly, to get away from after the game (unreal metro system over there). No bother getting tickets for the game via the Club website, I don't think they sell out too often.

Visited Bernabeau but the tour was pretty poor due to the ongoing renovation works, nice to see it all the same.

Madrid highly recommended. Lots to see and do, any number of bars to suit all tastes (loads of Irish bars but the local bars have cheaper and nicer beer!), inexpensive and so easy to get around (18 euro for a 3 day metro pass that covered all transport for the trip).

Advertisement