Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No rational person thinks the 22nd is going to be affected in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Oh yes, the great conspirator. Heard he bought a white cat and a swivel chair for his next TV appearance....

This and similar nuthouses are literally the only places talking about lockdown.

Usual suspects whipping themselves into a frenzy of their fevered imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can't see the public accepting the 22nd being postponed

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

With this govt very little surprises me, but if the removal of restrictions doesn't happen on the 22nd I'd be very very surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Isn't the development of the anti virals more of game changer than the vaccines at the moment ... hopefully these get approved and into hospitals ...open up society , only test in a hospital setting and treat the hospitalised cases...game over

I wouldn't say the antivirals are more of a game changer than the vaccines, rather they're a game completer. The vaccines are going to be doing the heavy lifting and are what's preventing serious case loads at the moment. You need both available.

A vaccinated population with COVID-19 flowing, should still be building herd immunity through natural infection too. The vaccines are preventing a naive immune system being overwhelmed by the virus, and allowing it to be manageable and that's going to mean stronger immunity being built.

Delighted to see one of my older relatives is getting her booster shot for Pfizer on Thursday, along with her winter flu shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We go up past 100 in ICU everything else will stop .

Everything will be affected if hospital cases keep going up as it is more difficult to treat and manage Covid cases and keep regular services going at the same time .

You know this well at this stage . No point presenting information if you are being disingenuous.

I am not sure why you are assuming that this is not an issue or going to be an issue.

This is causing alarm , very much so . Dr Catherine Motherway and other senior consultants have already been stating as much over the last week .

It doesn't matter to me who these patients are , vaccinated or unvaccinated they are still sick people who need looking after . Any 'let it rip ' in the community if unvaccinated inevitably ends up at our hospital door a few weeks later and everyone knows this is the worst possible time of the year for beds to be taken up by a surge of infected patients, Covid , more so .

We don't know @[Deleted User] if this is a waning phenomenon.

I don't think so but those who have been vaccinated longest are the most at risk populations and healthcare workers are definitely at higher risk if there is any waning having been vaccinated early on .

It strikes me that this is a bad time to be gambling with rising cases , hospitalisations and whether those at risk should be given boosters or not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nope. We have been assured by the boards.ie experts that this pandemic is over and that all restrictions will end on the 22nd October, and that they will not ever be reintroduced after that point, no matter what the situation is with the health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭User1998

Most people don’t seem to care that nightclubs are shut and pubs have to close early. I don’t think there would be much backlash

The pre-emptive justifications for an extension of restrictions are already in from the usual crew, hardly a surprise. Those with the least to lose content to gamble with the livelihoods of those they deem dispensable. We have been here before, numerous times. The casual ignorance of the privileged is as distasteful as it is contemptible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree with this and your previous post about long term Covid care facilities.

The Mater has had to stop construction and go back to planning because emergency planning for their separate new building which was intended for just that purpose has run out !

The problem with separate facilities is the same old problem , lack of staff . Because to continue regular care as well as Covid requires a lot of extra highly trained and experienced staff . And not just nurses, all pathways of care . Physios, laboratory staff , radiographers , doctors , anaesthetists and all separate services . Very costly to run on a permanent basis. And nothing can be shared or mixed without endless delays .

That is why the private system would have been ideal, if it was used , as all those facilities were there , for elective care anyway .

If this becomes endemic as is believed it will , the healthcare staff will have to have to be kept up to date with immunisations , and permanent extra bed and ICU space will have to inbuilt in to the system , so that every time there is an increase in infections they can be isolated and treated away from the regular hospital and patients.

Saying this is like any other infection , is true , if you are young and healthy and, crucially , vaccinated , but not otherwise.

It is too much of a risk to the general population of most hospitals, both patients and staff to not keep the care separate .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The last line seems to sum up your attitude to all of this and you seem far more swayed by particular individuals within the health system. There's nothing disingenuous about observing that there is no great concern either in NPHET or at the top of the HSE at where we are. Indeed, apart from these last few days of minor concern NPHET have also used the word stable to describe the disease.

What exactly do you want? Do you want October 22 to be pushed? For now there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that will happen and we do have to live with this disease. 

Have you any idea of the number of health care who have refused vaccination.

But arent we hell bent on getting rid of private healthcare, see Slainte Care.

Are you talking about the Government taking over privste health care facilities on a permanent basis to treat covid patients. With Slainte Care private patients can no longer be treated in public hospitals.You are now suggesting the private facilities they pay huge and ever increasing premiums for should be used to treat covid patients.

Hundreds of thousands will stop paying for heakth insurance if this happens and then the entire health care system public and private will become one big mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't see that poster's posts but no doubt they know loads 'personally'!

I do know personally of two health care staff who have refused vaccination

And I know personally of two who've taken it, so our anecdotes hold about the same level of weight (none)

The hospitals could provide this infirmation but they arent.

You want hospitals to make private medical information public?

They should be transparent though as if a hospital has a high number of staff unvaccinated those with private insurance could avoid it.

And those without private health insurance?

why are you asking if I have any idea, why would i ask the question if i had.You add absolutely nothing to these threads, you just post pointless stuff like the above post, have you anything better to be doing.

It wasn't a question, it was another weird attack on healthcare workers that has become your M.O around here, have you nothing better to be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No that is not what is being suggested.

There are 2 separate issues here.Firstly, we are wedded to private health insurance.Yet we pay - we ALL pay-to fund a public health system.Taken at face value, there should be no private health insurance.Our health system, which we all fund, should be it.With public access equal for everyone.The problem is that over the years, mismanagement, plugging gaps with voluntary and charity services, and encouraging people to get health insurance to skip the queue has resulted in this hybrid mess that we have.If, in fact, we set our health care system up properly, we would not have a falling apart system.Private facilities have only arisen as a result of people being encouraged to take out the insurance.If you want to go private that should be your perogative, but it should only be in the likes of, say, the Beacon or similar, and not in the rooms of a consultant operating 3 days public, 2 days private out of say, Beaumont, and using public facilities such as operating theatres and scanners to do so.In the meantime the public health system should be functioning well enough that people don't feel a need to have insurance just to access basic services.

The second issue is Covid.How best to tackle the fact that it is essentially endemic or on its way to being that.My suggestion was that it really is time to stop viewing the hospitals as a place to treat covid and everything else can slot in if possible, it should start being viewed as hospitals treating everything else and maybe covid should be removed from the hospital system as best as possible, much like TB hospitals were set up.However the best way to do that is the issue.I suspect beds could be resolved - 2 to 3 years of a "covid" investment to bring specific beds on stream in a specific facility because let's face it, anything can be done if the money is committed.It's staffing would be the really thorny issue I think, how to get sufficient staff numbers and keep them busy and trained up enough between potential "waves" of covid. As Goldengirl suggests, the next best thing would be to use private facilities, since they exist,and have what is needed. But the waiting lists have been let get so bad and hospitals are so overwhelmed that the Gov have now no choice but to use private facilities to clear them.So we are going round in circles basically.Considering it all though, I think the best option by a margin may still be to take covid out of the main hospitals, even if it meant a separate facility in the grounds of places, because we can't continue clearing hospitals to only treat covid at the expense of everything else.

You cant use private hospital facilities indefinitely, people with health insurance must have first dibbs on what they are paying for, there is no point in paying for something and then watching public patients benefitting from it, I pay health insurance to ensure me and my family get prompt medical treatment.

The consultants wont agree to be solely employed by the HSE, they say there arent enough theatres etc to keep them occupied every day, this means their skills will deteriorate etc.

Nice positive interview from varadkar that I'm sure some lunatics will try and spin into we're going back into level 5......

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

He said plans are to reopen but it would depend on numbers in the next few days and the advice of Nephet . What if numbers continue to rise in the next few days ? I have no idea if they will or won’t but what if they do ? For what it’s worth I would be confident of the 22nd going ahead but it’s strange to call that a positive interview . Watery stuff from Leo .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep and we all know if NPHET say delay then there will be one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So now it seems there might be some NPHET concern. NPHET meeting about 22nd is next Monday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So according to Vardkar we did even better than NPHET's most optimistic modelling predictions.

Are there going to be any consequences for those that put those models together? If I performed my tasks in work as poorly as that I'd likely be sacked, particularly if it wasn't my first offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

"There may be a perception among some members of the public that the pandemic is over"

Well on 22nd October all restrictions are gone so surely that perception is correct?

Kenny was a negative prick, But Leo seemed very happy that the delta wave was a lot better than predicted, and that we have the majority of the economy open with no massive effects.

Compared to some of the interviews this time last year he was positively giddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement