Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Are you saying that senior health care staff are not concerned about the danger of covid to obese young people, I mean, seriously.

Covid would not be a major public health issue in this country if we didnt have such high obesity rates, what is the point in downplaying this.

You dont have to be obese either to be at a higher risk and its not terribly difficult to lose weight, a whole industry has grown up around this but really its very simple, keep your mouth shut and get exercising and the weight will shift, you will have a better outcome if you get covid and you wont be such a burden on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be fair, it doesn't seem like they did. There has never been any communication from the HSE/NPHET Government over the last 18 months to say get fit, get healthy.

We began to work out towards April-May last year that it wasn't a virus that killed anyone and anything. It was then when the message should have been going out there to improve your personal health, improve your cardio, lose weight, stop eating junk foods and it will help you when you get Covid. They never acknowledged, probably still to this day, that taking vitamin C & D can help improve your chances.

The whole NPHET Government plan was to to run, hide, be fearful, lock us down. Not to improve personal health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll probably be sent to the ct forum for this, but a believe part of the problem is that pharma companies and reps are in the ear of health officials. I'm not denying the vaccines work, but there is an over emphasis in this country on using medication and prescription drugs to fix health issues. Its so ingrained that they don't even notice it, its nearly second nature to believe everything they are told by the companies. And its niave to think that wouldn't have a sway on public policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

How many of these young people are "so heavy they can't walk" ?. I think you have confused what you see on TV with what is actually happening around you. I believe there is a HSE / ICU staffer who has already refuted your point at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's a bit like depression. 9/10 natural remedies can go along way to helping the problem, yet a doctor will nearly always put you on anti depressants first, instead of telling you to eat well and exercise.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

CSO doesnt go into detail on underlying conditions of those hospitalised/ICU, however they have cumulative age breakdowns, shown below:

The column of interest is the last one, 17/09, showing cumulative rates up to 17th september 2021. Only 3% of all ICU admissions are under 25, and only 16% are under 44. Less than a fifth of all ICU beds are taken up by young people, and I'd wager that most of those have some underlying condition to put them more at risk also. And that is with a very broad definition of 'young' (44 and under).

So hopefully we can stop with the myth that young people are filling hospitals or ICU or any such nonsense. |the cumulative death rates by age are even starker, <2% of all deaths from covid were under 44 - thats 63% of the population responsible for <2% of the deaths, and 16% of ICU beds. Covid is a disease of the old and unhealthy (not that its their fault having underlying conditions etc). Young people with no comorbidities have nothing to fear from this virus.

Aside from the backseat modding, have you tried calling the guards again?

Goldengirl when talking about ICU admissions daid she wasnt “ speaking in absolutes” or some such nonsense, in other words qualifying everything she said.

The point is we have a huge problem with obesity in this country, google how much of the budget is spent on health issues like diabetes for example.

How about childhood obesity being a marker for cancer in later life, Can we stop being so PC and just deal with this issue.

I decided I was losing weight once covid came, I am down two stone, it isnt that difficult to keep the mouth shut and leave the soft drinks, chocolate and crisps on the shelves.

The Public Health messaging throughout covid has been so lacking, very little about getting weight down, very little about exercise even though people were stuck in 5km for months.Very little warning about reducing alcohol intake etc, wine is full of calories, all so disapponting but it tajes a brave person to state the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

So are young and healthy people being put into ICU or not? Because your post seems to agree with what I’m saying despite you saying my statement is ‘not true’

Of course like anything there will be the very very odd young & healthy person being badly hospitalised, but its a minuscule amount and these people will spend a short amount of time there and will fully recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just listening to the news on the radio and Leo Varadkar talking about they will have to keep an eye on numbers over the next few days and see what NHPET say. According to him they might have to keep some restrictions in place past the 22nd. My hunch is that they will keep the vaccine passports in place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

The vaccine passports thing, were it to happen, could be spun either way really. With 90% vaccinated you could say its a pointless exercise, or with 90% vaccinated you could say sure nearly everyone has one anyway so its no big deal.

I don't think they'll be kept, the Oct 22nd lifting is happening, there's nothing going to stop it at this stage, barring a completely unforeseen, out of left-field disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

My wife's mother and father laughed when they heard about the fiver rise. They are absolutely minted and yet the government are just throwing more money at them whilst working age people struggling to save for houses are taxed to the hilt to pay for it. Banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I suspect the numbers he will be keeping an eye on will be hospital numbers also, perhaps hospital visitors will be restricted to the vaccine passports as you are mixing healthy and sick people, unlike a pub where you are mixing healthy and healthy people

There are due to be a number of events on the weekend of the 22nd which will likely attract large numbers. Cork Jazz festival, Connacht V Ulster in Landsdowne road, Foil Arms and Hog at vicar street, 90s disco at the point, 3 different gigs in the button factory and many more smaller gigs taking place for the bank holiday so for that reason alone I can't see the date of the 22nd being changed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tony not even mentioned in the article... Stop trying to scare people

• Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep and all the people who may of predicted it weren't wrong after all

I'll be livid if it happens but us clappy hands will go along with it

No doubt 2 more weeks that will keep changing and changing, then we're into 2022 before we know it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It says NPHET meet next Monday to “advise”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do you not get bored being constantly negative and seeing the worst in absolutely everything. Surely that's not good for someone either.

Thank god I only dip in and out of these threads now, in the real world people are getting on with their life. It's like a doom and gloom echo chamber in here which doesn't seem to play out at all in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They meet every single time there's something planned, you know NPHET is more than 1 person

Oh yeah I fully agree with you,but Leo said some restrictions might remain(we all know masks are remaining in some places,fair enough). Some posters here were adamant no matter what all restrictions were being lifted on the 22nd and any poster who might of doubted this was wrong and a lunatic. We were also told that the emergency legislation wouldn't be extended because there was no need for it but look what happened there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I would really hope RTE are reaching with that article. Given the vaccination levels if we don’t open up/reduce restrictions in two weeks then when?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who told you these things? Most of what you're talking about are posters’ opinions, which are just that - opinions.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is there any point in keeping the passport thing going. Most places are not checking anymore anyway.

Might they keep the occupancy limits instead?

Of course they are just posters opinions but if any other poster questioned their opinions then they were totally dismissed and called doommongers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We knew NPHET were meant to meet but the article says they are meeting to discuss what they say as

"Concern has been expressed at a meeting of the Senior Officials Group on Covid-19, about whether latest figures on Covid-19 represent a blip or a trend, RTÉ News has learned"

It's as if somebody at RTE have access to somebody in NPHET, maybe Married to one of them........

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

can i ask, when returning to the office we will be required to wear a face covering when walking around the office. but its optional when sitting at our desks - can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?..its seems pointless. is this a HSE guideline?...

Advertisement