Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake off 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oh Maggie! For goodness sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Chig could be a bit of a dark horse in this. That surely has sealed Maggies faith, absolute disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Let me just not use this container of flour I've been given 🤷

Chiggs deffo upped his game this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How has Amanda scraped through each week? Her time surely has to come soon....

Maggie sticking to basic, classic bakes and flavours was never going to win it for her - but having said that I'd have thought she'd last a bit longer!

German week next week - a gimme for Jürgen??? Or can Giuseppe out-German the German??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Maggie had a disaster but there are a couple of others hanging on by a thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

She did basic and simple (Paul commenting a couple of times that he didn't think it was __ hours of work) but made a mess of basic and simple! I'm surprised she even lasted this long!

Delighted for Chigs tonight. 😁

German week next week- what do I buy or make for that?! All I can think of is a black forest... 🙄

Lebküchen, stollen (or is that Austrian?), rye bread, black bread, strüdel......

But Black Forest Gateau...... mmm mmm MMMMMM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ah Posy, I knew your dislike for Stollen would end up coming back to bite 😉

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Thought the judges got the decisions spot on this week, for a second when they were commenting on the showstopper & they made reference to Jurgens being up there I briefly thought 'not again' but no, they did the right thing & gave it to chigs who was the best across the three challenges.

Funnily enough I wasn't as hungry for sweet stuff watching this week, even bread week brought out more of a sugar craving in me.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I agree @DvB I think they made the right choices last night and that the right person went, she was only in by the skin of her teeth last week in my opinion and this week was even worse for her, It's a shame but for some people it seems that baking in the tent is a much tougher experience than baking in their own kitchen and they can't duplicate the bakes from home in another environment. Simple and classic would have been ok if she had nailed them every time but alas, no. Forgetting the flour for a sponge was a big disaster in fairness!

Spot on.

Surely an experienced baker would have copped any traditional sponge needed flour, especially when a bag of it had been provided. An avoidable error that just compounded the others across all three stages, she was the right choice to leave. Though Freya was clearly sweating a little & looked visibly relieved to have retained her place in the competition, makes you wonder are we seeing all the comments/feedback from the judges as from a viewers POV she was nowhere near as poor as Maggie and it was no contest as to who was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think a big issue with Maggie was just she could replicate classic stuff, and most of her baking was probably fine (flour aside), but there was no style or anything interesting about her baking or flavours. She clearly showed she was never going to do anything really special or unique, nothing to separate herself from everyone else. There is a value to that in many instances, but overall for the competition she was never going to proceed too far like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

So next week is German week.... And on bread week they featured two Italian bakes... Are the producers engineering who they want in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If these weeks were quarter or semi final weeks, you could argue that. Though it's unknown how far in advance they plan the weeks/challenges and whether they know what the mix of contestants will be at that point, which is pretty unlikely as it's probably different people/teams and there's always a possibility every type of week will play to the advantage of one or more of the bakers regardless.

But this early, either of the two lads could still badly mess up in a later week and not make it any further. One bad week is all it takes, and plenty of bakers in the past have stumbled on areas they should have been great at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hard to know when they plan the recipes and challenges but I'd imagine it's done well in advance. You couold also argue that every other week is 'English' week with a lot of the non-English competitors having to get their heads around bakes they have never heard of.

Also, wer ist im Zelt fuer (can't do umlauts) Deutsche Woche?

Mmmmmm..... German biccies..... yum!!

Bringing back super-happy memories of living in Munich way, way back when 😍

• Advertisement

Mmmmm... rum-soaked raisins, and something-soaked cherries - I'm dribbling here!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bluebell woods

is It me or does Freya speak in a very affected accent/ gone/??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bluebell woods

Tone

Giuseppe's cake decoration inspired by his hair!

That's a young'un's drawwwwl that seems very fashionable these days (makes me sound about 100, I know) - drives me mad! There was a girl on Pointless recently with an even worse case of it.

Oooh, Giuseppe stole German week from under Jurgen's nose!

Poor Freya, she was crying before they ever announced her name.... she's just so young, and as much as I have to admire her vegan principles, I don't think that was ever going to win it for her. But fair dues to her.

Savoury show-stopper next week - now, that's my kinda baking.......

• Advertisement

I think the right person went this week although I really thought it was between Freya and George even before Paul said they were bottom two. George needs to pull his socks up next week!

I can definitely see a Giuseppe, Jurgen final and maybe Crystelle too if they are doing three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Chiggs is very intense. Very intense

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

She's from Yorkshire, that's how a lot of people from there speak.

Thought George was a very lucky boy this week... agree it was between himself & Freya but IMO he was the one that just about deserved to go. Not a huge miscarriage of justice though. Giuseppe easily star baker, Jurgen may have been 2nd but he wasn't within touching distance of top spot IMO and it was an easy decision for the judges on that score.

Some of those biscuits looked heavenly though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

George is consistently not very good, he’s motored through because others have mucked up but he’s generally one of the poorer bakers. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

I agree. I thought George could have gone most weeks since the first one. Just lucky enough that someone lese is just that little bit worse. But he always hags on. Maybe because he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Chigs has impressed me with his progress. Obviously Giuseppe and Juergen are the favourites, but I can see an upset coming as others improve and they seem to be just doing the same as ever. Won't be fair, but can see it happening.

I think George and Amanda are hanging in there. Chigs is a bit of a dark horse and Lizzie has improved a lot. You'd fully expect Jurgen and Giuseppe to get to the final

I agree with who went, I think george manages to get through because his flavours are good. Same as lizzie really.

Amanda or george will probably be next to go unless someone really fcks up

I'd add Lizzie to that list too, she seems to do good flavours but the finish never seems to be great.

Christ, Prue would want to ease up a tad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I think c4 have forgotten they can edit bits out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It was laugh out loud funny.

I love Juergen. He’s so awkward.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUlKxT2J9fW/?utm_medium=copy_link

Haha, I misheard Giuseppe as well!! 🤣

I do love the chaos and mishaps

OK, I'm only getting to the pointy end of this week's show now.....

Amanda surely cannot escape the exit door this time???

Delighted to see Crystelle get a handshake, that pie looked just divine!

And Guiseppe's pie was just sooooo cute!

• Advertisement

George got lucky again, What a nightmare the two of them had this week!

I agree I was sure that he was gone this week even though it was definitely between himself and Amanda. He'lll need to pull his socks up next week if he wants to stay now. Delighted that Lizzie did so well, she's always so self-deprecating but she must be good to have gotten this far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd say a night out in Liverpool with Lizzie and Jurgen would be a night to remember. They both seem like great craic.

What is the theme for tonight, I can't remember!

Oh really, ok great thanks!

Surely it’s George’s turn later?

Who knows, he might be a secret caramel genius!

• Advertisement

Unless he has a fantastic night or someone else has a disastr, I do think it's George's turn to go tonight. I really like him and it'll be a shame to see him go but I think of those left he is one of the weaker ones.

Advertisement