Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah I don't really get that line, people getting on with their lives, it's pretty simple.

Cases have gone up and down constantly over the last few weeks, just need to get on with it at this point.

Personally I don't expect next Friday to change in terms of what opens and the pubs getting their late hours back etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Some restrictions were staying after 22nd of October anyway, mainly around facemask wearing in shops and on Public transport. Maybe there was an (unannounced) hope of removing facemask restrictions on that date that he's refusing to rule out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or we've surpassed even the most optimistic projections and reopened the majority of society safely.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Yeah he did put a positive slant on the delta wave numbers but the last few sentences of the vid were the important ones and they were not positive . He basically said the 22nd was not guaranteed at all . He didn’t use those words but that’s what he meant by saying it was dependant on stable numbers and Nephet advice . Let’s hope things remain stable because if they rise for the next week I for one would be apprehensive about wether things will go ahead or not . I realise he can’t come out early and say full steam ahead but it was a reminder things are far from certain at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

But Leo seemed very happy that the delta wave was a lot better than predicted

How about that eh

The Delta was an overreaction as well

Who would have thought that the modelling was absolute scutter dreamed up by overpaid medics with the attention of the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While in practical terms there's not a whole lot more in the 22nd than nightclubs, there is a less tangible impact of it. It marks the point at which we draw a line under the emergency phase of the pandemic and move on with the rest of our lives. Most people are looking towards this date as the point at which they can breathe and plan for the future.

Even now I have plenty of anecdotal evidence of people who have avoided planning and booking things, "just in case", who are starting to fill up their calendars in the expectation that life will be practically normal come November.

There's definitely a little collar-tweaking going on in some quarters looking at the numbers, but nothing else so far.

We had a budget yesterday that was driven almost entirely towards post-pandemic planning, with nothing but a nod to a contingency fund in case anything else cropped up.

Could Holohan turn around on Monday and go, "Jaysus lads, things are looking a bit grim, we need to hold off here for another while"? Of course. But he's not in charge. A look outside the numbers tells us that there's no reason to expect the numbers will magically improve, they are still way below the expected numbers that were modelled, and ultimately any hold-off is likely to do more damage both to the public attitudes to the pandemic and the government than they are to improve the situation.

I think the backlash to a delay at this point would be enormous. Because it would be the first time realistically that something would be implemented with no end-goal in sight.

Every time up to now that restrictions have been maintained or increased, there has been an end-goal in sight. "We need to stop the increase in cases", "We need more time for cases to come down", "We need more time to get more people vaccinated". All reasonable, tangible goals.

What could be the end-goal here; "We need more time to see what happens next"? People won't accept it.

Monday's NPHET meeting will most likely produce a "sober" briefing that emphasises the need to continue vaccinating every dark corner we can find, to continue pushing the need for people to be cautious, but if they have any sense of the public mood (they usually do), should stop short of recommending a delay to reopening. They could take new models from Nolan to point to a date in the future that they expect cases to start dropping off, but it'll be met with extreme skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will probably see plenty of interviews in the media over the next few days with members of NPHET ahead of their meeting next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A report from RTE saying concerns have been raised.

Looks like Oct 22 is off.

There will be a lot of anxiety this weekend from the affected industries.

Conservative Ireland strikes again.

A number of officials expressed concern that it appeared that complacency has risen and there may be a perception among some members of the public that the pandemic is over.

There is a few here ready to bet their houses on Friday week going ahead as planned in Ireland, despite every reopening plan up to this point being torn up by NPHET.

To have the same guys making the same decisions using the same metrics and expecting different results this time is insanity

That interview with Leo sums Ireland up so well. He may as well have said that NPHET's models were a load of b*llix and we didn't even hit their optimistic numbers. He also basically admitted that they've no idea why case numbers are not going down in Ireland.

Looks like months of sitting in lockdown and using nonsense models hasn't paid off for Ireland.

Hopefully we'll have an inquiry so we can learn lessons in case this happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The complacency comment is not new and we've had versions of it at various times since last summer. It might be a bit extreme to bet your house on it but apart from this apparent minor concern about cases why else would the 22nd change? We should note from that article that it's about the 5th version that has used the 400+ hospital cases structure.

As for NPHET ripping up a plan it's hard to imagine them presenting any justification for doing so. As they said themselves not too long ago the disease is stable, even if cases are a little bit high.

despite every reopening plan up to this point being torn up by NPHET.

Except for the September one, and the August one, and July 26th, and pretty much everything except the 3 week blip in indoor hospitality.

It's almost like the record vaccine uptake worked.

Every time up to now that restrictions have been maintained or increased, there has been an end-goal in sight. "We need to stop the increase in cases", "We need more time for cases to come down", "We need more time to get more people vaccinated". All reasonable, tangible goals.

"We need more time for cases to come down"

Why do you think that can't be used as justification again?

We are hearing from doctors of the struggles in hospitals, vaccine waning etc. We are rapidly approaching Winter, and we know the majority of the public, including yourself, supported all the restrictions up to this point.

We started to slide down a slippery slope a long time ago, where hospitals were protected by removing the basic rights of citizens in Ireland, will it now be OK to allow the hospital services to collapse?

BTW the end goal was always "just in case"

I'm not sure how anyone can be so confident of October 22nd going ahead. In Ireland we work with dates as opposed to data. And as the date approaches, that's when we tend to sit down and actually review what is happening.

Can anyone honestly rule out Phil Nolan playing around with his models and creating a few scenarios of doom? Or another "Save Christmas" type scenario?

The fact that we extended the emergency powers and everyone in government is saying that we can't rule out restrictions should be enough evidence that its still under consideration.

If hospital numbers creep up this week, it won't surprise me at all if the usual situation starts to play out. -- Media hysteria, NPHET power plays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

And also they fail to acknowledge how many people actually caught it in hospitals, there’s definitely outbreaks in Limerick, CUH, Tallaght and I’m sure a few others! I’d assume icu is along the same lines in terms of outbreaks.

you possibly could have a few in icu who had heart attacks but tested positive for asymptomatic infection!

again this comes down to seriously poor communication to the public as to why numbers are rising in hospitals!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FYI ICU has dropped to 69 (at 11.30), down 4, since that article was posted, more of the yo yo effect we've been seeing in hospital numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s a yo yo alright .

i noticed the covid operations update hasn’t updated since Monday night, and has been slow enough over the past week to update! What I find is on Monday night the operations update had 383 in hospitals with covid but when the app updates at 8/9am yesterday it has 402! So overnight 19 admissions or people who were already in hospitals caught covid whilst in there for something else!

this morning on the app. 41 discharged 29 admitted yet 408 in hospitals a rise of 6 on yesterday…….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why would it depend on numbers? Doesn't he know that the work from home experts on Boards.ie have been very clear in stating that facemasks will be the only restriction remaining after Oct 22nd?

They have been unequivocal about it, no room for doubt and lots of quotes there for all to see, they said it all ends on the 22nd, no maybes or wait and sees about it.

I don't know who these work from home experts are, but I'll side with them over people who seem deathly afraid of society being back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You keep saying this, that they are afraid of society reopening. Its such a non-sequitur that I am surprised you haven't realised that yourself yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Everything will depend on hospital capacity and there is a huge underreporting of staff shortages and staff burnout within hospitals at all levels at present. Of course we aren't in the same spot of bother as this time last year but anyone who thinks a slowing down of opening up isn't on the cards then they are in denial.

It really is bizarre how our numbers remain so high given the vaccination uptake.

I’m cautiously optimistic things will go ahead on the 22nd but not confident we will see out the winter without some restrictions being reimposed. I’m not sure how anyone could be tbh . That of course is idle speculation . Not I nor anybody else knows for sure what will happen . However If we don’t unwind on the 22nd when will we ? Vaccination rates among the highest in the world but not ok to open ? When then ? It would be a dreadful decision not to. People say life is going on just fine now but this is not what life was like . Life won’t be normal until everyone mixes freely without a worry . The 22nd isn’t just the late bars and clubs opening it’s the end of social distancing the end of treating other people like biohazards . Mentally it’s a huge day as it feels like we are finally moving away . The final step then will be the removal of those wretched masks but can’t see that happening until the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wonder if it's any coincidence that a return to the office is driving this new wave I would think not. A fairly simple solution is legislate for working from home, something managers can't fluff their way out of like before

Well when it was suggested hysteria, doubt and a media blitz would be on the way as we got closer to reopening it was dismissed by many here too. To be fair I didn’t think it’d ramp up just yet. They have surpassed my expectations . I thought they’d at least have another day to bleed out of the budget but no rte news at 1 lead headline with the fear mongering . Over 2k cases to be announced today according to Fergal Bowers . The government need to show a spine for once and get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Lads ... remember the vaccine doesn't prevent covid cases, it alleviates the worst effects of covid for the recipient...so equating our record vaccination to cases is pointless ... something else is going on and even Leo admitted in the interview, they don't know for sure why this is happening...it has being said numerous times in this thread....I think it's the Peltzman effect and after the 22th this will only increase..

That and the fact that we are entering the suspected vaccine waning window especially for medical staff

It’s baffling how our cases are so high compared to the rest of western Europe . Our open border with the north and their high incidence rate ? Our nearest neighbours having a high incidence rate in the Uk? Our autumn climate perfect conditions ?poor ventilation standards ? Vaccines waning ? I don’t know . I don’t think anyone does .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

More discharges than admissions to hospital yesterday yet the numbers in hospitals have gone up, clearly people are catching it in hospitals.

It'd be nice if the media would report on this rather than just giving the big scary hospital numbers. The concept of journalism seems alien to our media though so not that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Or because we had such long lockdowns that we haven’t had as much spread as other countries. We flattened the curve so much that we’re still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I find it a little odd that it's just RTE running these headlines today. Would have expected the indo etc to jump on board but nothing yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Interesting take and you could be right but surely with our vaccination numbers that shouldn't matter. It's just bizarre.

Advertisement