Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Enda stevens is not good enough at football and has not played well enough for Ireland to be ever used in a sentence “he has to play over such and such”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't think Kelly was over the top. He caveated every positive comment he made with 'but Qatar are brutal'. He was happy to see us dominate, create chances , score goals and ultimately win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

O would have Coleman ahead of Doherty all day. Doherty has little involvement in the game and against Azerbaijan had very little ball when compared to McClean on the other side and I also though Stevens showed more last night than Doherty did.

In mid I think Brown might be preferred when fit.

Agree with you completely on Cullen, Egan, Omobamidele, Duffy, Bazunu and CR7. Not 100% on Hendrick as he had offered nothing for so long it is hard to forget.

Idah seemed to have nailed down his spot but is now under pressure from Ogbene who I think on balance has shown a bit more.

My ideal team

Bazunu

Stevens

Duffy

Egan

Omobamidele

Coleman

Cullen

Other midfield place up for grabs

Brown

Robinson

Ogbene or Idah again up for grabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

FAI will be streaming the game on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

That is of course your opinion our options at LWB are McClean or Stevens it's quite obvious why I say Stevens has to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wouldn't be dismissing Connolly, at least not yet anyway.

It's interesting that Kenny didn't even give him a single minute over this window, despite giving him lots of chances previously. I can't help but think that he's sending Connolly a message that he is going to need to apply himself more and that he can't just expect to play for us because our options upfront are poor. Kenny said in a recent presser that Connolly isn't playing enough games, and when he is he's only at 70% of his ability. Hopefully with Robinson kicking on, Idah and Ogbene showing that they're options, it might light a fire under Connolly to apply himself.

The Ireland/Poland match is live on Youtube for anyone interested. 2-1 to Poland at half time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6uSgR1xrd0

Lovely strike. Hit with pace and straight into the top corner from 25 yards out as well, keeper hadn't a chance. We're definitely in the ascendency now.

Zefi has some unbelievably tight ball control and can slip past opponents at ease. Reminds me a lot of Grealish when he played played for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Delighted Kenny got two wins to take the pressure off. Hope he's given as much time as he needs, not easy trying to turn around decades of hoofball in a short space of time. Getting rid of him would be a disaster, a step back into stone age football that simply doesn't work in this day and age, the game has moved on. He's our best bet for progress imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

No thanks on the blue jersey's but totally agree have never liked the current Ireland crest. It is horrible IMHO and would love to see us get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Kelly is always over the top imo. And gushing with an awful lot of waffle and praise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the last two games, we played some good football and I really want to see Stephen Kenny succeed. But as a commentator just don't like Kelly at all. And it's not just for Ireland games. Found him awful during the Euros too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would. He has done nothing at club level and seems to have attitude problems. Adding in his play acting I don't see what he offers. Now for Ireland's sake I would be happy if he pushed on and was successful but on a personal level I would rather see someone like Idah suceed than Connolly (or Parrott).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Fairly positive week for Irish football apart from the 21s result last night.

I have always said SK needed time, i think they have turned a corner and to me he should get the contract extension now. But i think 2 points next month should guarantee it. All the players seem to have bought into what they are doing because if they haven't there would have been leaks by now about players being unhappy. Last night was the best I have seen an Ireland team play in a long time no matter how bad the opposition were, you still have to perform and beat them and they did.

I love how the goal posts keep moving for SK, First it was they had to score, then perform, then get a win, more than one win and he's done that now and people still arent happy. Some just love to complain.

• Advertisement

Pity we didn't get the win to give ourselves a better chance of being one of the eight top seeds for the elite round. We we're ranked 9th going into this tournament with Belgium ahead of us in 8th but they look like they could be a third seed going into the elite round after a shock lose to Luxembourg in their opening game who were ranked 51st out of 54 teams. If all three teams in that group are given walkovers against Azerbaijan then Luxembourg top the group ahead.

As someone that would like to see him there for the 2024 qualifiers they'd be stupid to announce any contract extension before the campaign is even over. Even if the majority of the board are in favour of it.

Any extension needs to happen before a ball is kicked in 2022. So hopefully they meet before November is over because if they decide not to give an extension then they'll need to be bringing someone else in before the nation's league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I agree with most of your points but expecting a team to score the odd goal is a basic requirement ffs you can't say it was unreasonable to expect that at an absolute minimum from Kenny.

Overall the results have still been very poor we've beaten Andorra Qatar and Azerbaijan we've lost to Finland Wales Luxembourg drawn with Qatar Bulgaria Azerbaijan Kenny has still presided over some of our worst performances in living memory.

I agree he should get the 2024 qualifying campaign but he should be told in no uncertain terms that if we don't qualify he's gone.

I said the whole scoring goals as a bit tongue in cheek.... We have never been a team to score goals since Robbie retired but the last 2 windows has given me encouragment that we might be getting that back. We scored a good mix of goals, some well worked corners, good play, a penalty and one off an opponents arse.

Yes results were bad but i think some of that was down to covid and the tight windows. The last 2 windows has seen a fairly settled squad and the making of a starting team, we could all maybe name 6/7/8 starters now, we definitely could not do that this time last year. I said all along it was going to take time and a bit of short term pain and i think the tide is turning and they are starting to build now.

Ah look, yes he should get the contract but as you say it should happen in November after the review. If someone cant seem progress especially in the last 2 windows then i dont know what they are watching. As i said something that is in his favour is as i said there have been no leaks from players stating they are unhappy and i think that should be a big consideration for the FAI.

I am happy with the style of football they are playing and progress seems to be happening, albeit slowly. I'd give Kenny another qualifying campaign. Unless the draw is brutal we should be aiming for a third place finish or better.

• Advertisement

I wonder would the FAI consider doing a 2024 contract, but with a break clause if we get relegated from our Nations League group. Relegation from the Nations League would be a real hammer blow for whoever is trying to get us to qualify for Euro 2028. A long time away, I know.

Interesting thought but seeing as SK can be quite stubborn and backs himself I dont think he would sign a contract like that, either back him or sack him.

On the other hand, Nations league C could be an easier way to qualify for Euro 2028, look at Scotland and Hungry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I do find it funny that Kenny is being judged more harshly than our previous managers. 2 campaigns has more or less been the bare minimum Ireland managers have gotten except for Staunton, who was completely out of his depth.

And Kenny has been asked to do more than the previous managers, by refreshing our squad and style of play, which hasn’t had such a drastic change since Micks first stint.

But yet you still have lads thinking he needs a result against Luxembourg to give him another contract. I think win would be a great way to sign off the current campaign but it’s not essential to me. I think he’s shown enough consistent improvement with the team to warrant a campaign where he’s not starting from scratch.

In general I think the previous approach of the short term ‘qualify by any means’ can get in the bin. I would much prefer to watch Ireland play well in qualifiers and miss out than sit back for games on end to get to a tournament to get walloped.

Even though yesterday was a friendly, there was such an atmosphere of joy around the team and fans that I haven’t seen in years. That’s what I want more of!

I agree with this. You could see the players playing with a bit of confidence and flair. Hendrick even did a back heel at one stage that actually ended up with an Irish player.

Fully agree either back a manager or sack him. I know it happened with MON and it cost us financially but that was JDs fault for always handing out ridiculous contracts as evidence of Roy Keane getting paid better than managers, Mick getting a bonus pay off when his contract ended, and handing Robbie Keane a four year contract as a coach. Though I still believe to this day that Keane was being groomed to come in as manager this manager. Plus MON and Co should have been replaced after that final WC campaign.

If we were relegated next summer then we'd be in League C for a Nations League campaign pre WC 2026. Would have no effect for Euro 2028 unless we didn't gain promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I watched a lot of Kenny's post-game press conference the other day and judging by that he's going to be laser focused on the Nations League next year.

The seedings for the draw are based on the final positions in the last league so we can already see who our possible opponents will be. It'll be one from each of the following groupings:

• Teams Relegated from League A: Ukraine / Sweden / Bosnia / Iceland
    • Second placed teams from League B: Finland / Norway / Scotland / Russia
    • Teams promoted from League C: Slovenia / Montenegro / Albania / Armenia

The draw will be very important as there is huge variation of the standards between some of those teams (Sweden vs Iceland for example). If we play like we did in the last nations league we'd be fighting it out with the C teams to stay up but if we play more like we have recently hopefully we'll hold our own.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

One thing to note as well, Ireland is in the same pot as Serbia and looking at those teams is a massive blessing. I'd fancy Serbia to beat any of them handy enough. Easily the best team we've played this year.

Iceland and Finland please. Iceland aren't looking all that great anymore, Finland didn't look overly impressive last time. Last one I don't know who I'd want. They're all horrible away trips to make. Maybe Armenia if I had to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

surprise surprise...

I know the story behind the original. The reason it's coming back now is that green jerseys are going to be banned soon because they won't show on new TV technology. Its a more polite way of leaving the green jersey by stoking up this blue flu.

https://www.the42.ie/republic-of-ireland-blue-jersey-5574383-Oct2021/?section=comment#comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tickets for the Portugal game potentially on sale from next Tuesday to the general public

• Advertisement

Albania are definitely a fourth seed to avoid. They've had a good WC qualification campaign with three teams that are going to be in League A next summer. Had they beaten Poland the other night they would have gotten a play off spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Rugby in November is selling at 75% capacity, so possibly this might be the same

With the news of the 22nd been delayed its doubtful the game will be at 100% capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we'll probably be grand with our green kit for a while anyway... that ban only seems to be in Serie A, and only for 2nd and 3rd kits (teams that use green as their primary shirt colour are exempt).

Slightly political point here, but if Ireland is ever unified the likely colour/flag for the new country would be that colour blue.

I would say a very political point and while a new flag for a reunified Ireland is a possibility there is no chance it will be blue IMHO. I certainly would not support that. Maybe make it the 4 provinces flag or some variation of that flag so some little blue in it from the Connacht portion but that is about it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Great window for Stephen Kenny and an inexperienced Irish squad.

Great to see Duffy and Hendrick playing so well and playing with smiles on their faces, if we can keep Robinson fit and healthy we have a goal threat against anyone.

I know the opposition was poor but good to see us moving the ball well, creating chances and finishing well. Don't think I have seen any Irish team looking so comfortable on the ball since McCarthy's first stint in charge.

Hopefully most of our players can continue the form into their club's for the next month and come back into the next break with a bit of confidence and momentum.

No chance is too strong considering its already been suggested in political discussions on the subject. Anyway to keep things on topic the same colour blue for the jersey is the colour that represents the presidency of Ireland. The very flag being touted as a possible replacement for a united Ireland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Flag_of_the_President_of_Ireland.svg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mee out with COVID so Collins will be starting, at least this week.

The Nordies wear green so the colour of the jersey would not be a bone of contention. Bigger issues are flegs and anthems. I could live with the blue flag with gold harp. Re anthems I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

As long as it’s not that Ireland’s Call sh1te…..I have a very unnatural hatred of that ‘tune’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From a purely marketing/tourism point of view, I reckon green will always have a prominent place on an Ireland flag. A redesign in some fashion would seem the right thing to do alright though, to recognise the two states becoming one (rather than them just joining us). Maybe green and blue or a green field with the red de Burgh cross or a red hand, or something...

All Dark green flag with a gold harp would be my shout.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If we change the flag then you won't see people accidentally using the Ivory Coast flag emoji any more. I don't want to live in that world.

• Advertisement

I wasn't event trying to be biased. I think it's perfect for an AI and just an all round great looking flag.

I agree with you there. Cannot stand Ireland's call. I am not a fan of our current national anthem either, way too militaristic for me. So I am certainly open to a new national anthem regardless that is more positive and maybe themed on our culture but nothing like Ireland's call please that absolutely makes me cringe when I hear it.

It is but I am sure it could be tweaked so it was not the same. A decent option for sure although my personal preference is for some kind of variation on the 4 provinces flag.

I get what your saying I absolutely do and a new flag after reunification is very likely no doubt about it and I am personally fine with that. But I just do not see a new Ireland flag been blue like what your suggesting. That is just of course my own opinion but I would be shocked if when the day does come to pass and if that does include a new Ireland flag it is mostly blue. I just do not see it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement