Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tried all the new Brehon 'Kavanagh' range, decent and fairly inoffensivem, great branding as well. What is with Irish brewers and overloading ales of all types with malt though. Their blonde ale, pale ale and IPA were all malt bombs. The IPA probably the pick of the bunch mainly due to the use of Ella

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wexford yellow belly beer have a bar, Gradys yard. Tullys and Revolution would both have a big craft range as well. Haven't been in Downes or Grimes in a while but were 2 of the first locally to offer options outside of the mainstream beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,916 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't see your post until after I got back 😕

Couldn't remember the name of Revolution (was there on my previous visit but there was nothing on the lunch menu the OH could eat, so we didn't go in) and couldn't find it this time even though I was staying on the Mall! Google Maps doesn't show a pub there (but of course it's there on Street View once you know where to look)

Hotel bar and various places we had lunch at were hopeless beer wise. Even The Reg only had 2 Metalmans on tap, waiter said that that's the only craft draught available to them atm which may be the case but why not have a few decent bottled beers? I asked about stouts too and wasn't even offered a bottle of Guinness! (which I like, and which I believe is fairly popular in that part of the country)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Craft Central have Parabola for sale. Amazing imperial stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Managed to pick up some Wicklow Wolf Pointy Shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Have you tried it? I've asked my offie to put aside a few cans for me, as I'm not around Dublin to buy it myself.

I think I have just one can of last years left to compare it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Passion Pool, a seriously tasty Gose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had one as well tonight, the gold standard of sours imo. I don't know if it's just that passion fruit is so well suited for it but I've yet to find any sour that comes close to the depth of flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't bother with Deep Pool, it's really disappointing in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Ah no, have a can of that as well waiting in the shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps, it was just me.

I was expecting it to be like pp but more. More fruit, more alcohol just more but it just didn't seem as balanced or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

With the Autumn rolling in this weekend I thought i'd go for some german/belgian bottles after being canned out of it all summer. Ordered a nice selection from Beer Club who still have a healthy selection of bottles as most others are focused on cans. Not complaining or anything, having next day delivery on beers this last year, especially living in the wilds of the northwest, has been fantastic!

Anyway, I'm rambling, looking forward to having a Rodenbach Grand Cru, a saison dupont and a wheat and normal Shlenkerla amongst others....

Oh and I'm very excited about trying the Einseidler Weissbier and I absolutely loved the Helles, which, the latter which coincidentally has come back into Aldi's recently after a very much missed absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,916 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lidl has the Belgian selection pack in at the moment, 6x330mL for €20 - 2 Gulden Draak, 2 Piraat and 2 Bornem

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Had this last night

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Broke open Pointy Shoes 2021 to mark the end of busy season in work. Boozy, chocolate & warm - what you want from a BA imp stout.

I managed to nab two more cans, so I'll leave those go for a couple of years and revisit!

I've drank far too many cans of it, as I keep not getting around to putting it away.

I think the barrel aged black boar is better. But could just be personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have two Pointy Shoes (plus one from last year) yet to be opened - just been in more gulping than sipping mood since I got it! It seems to knocking around a bit more this year, probably to do with jump in price. I'm reluctant to go too big on it, given the numbers of great stouts they had last season (Mad Mex springs immediately to mind).

Got a can of Metalman Giant Molecular Clouds NEIPA yesterday. Was really disappointed in it. It just didn't taste great at all. Hadn't had one of their beers in a while and was attracted by the new packaging!

(Ice Cold) Mythos at the moment

The beer of the gods

Just Gorgeous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Always a risk changing packaging... Took me a few visits to the off licence before I looked closely enough to realise they were from Metalman.

I liked the old Metalman branding. A bit cheesy, but it was instantly recognisable. Kind futuristic diner / americana looking.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Advertisement

Last night I had the Galway bay Nelson Sauvignon followed by Dot Brews IPA - both very different cop powerhouses but excellently made beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In a strange part of their Oktoberfest offering my local craft beer off licence in Derry is selling mini kegs of Schlenkerla. I have no idea who in Derry is looking for 5 litres of smoked beer but fair play if they can finish a keg of it off.

woah where is this? my favourite beer!

ah, gee's!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd also be all over that mini keg!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That's one beer I could never get behind... I remember getting it in the Porterhouse years ago and although I like smoked stuff normally, this was like a smoked ham in a pint glass, it just turned my stomach.

What happens to beer imported by DHL from the EU ?

I see in my invoice that I paid tax,I presume that is excise duty ? Its 2 dozen 500ml bottles from Athens

Last DHL update was Milan 2 days ago

Will it be stuck in customs clearance for a few days even though excise is paid

Are you sure is wasn't tax on the Greek end?

I thought that DHL wouldn't collect and Irish taxes due until it entered the country. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

It could easily be

So I will have to pay excise before its delivery?

Advertisement