Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I reckon he read the eCars presentation and expected convoys of cars charging up and waiting to charge up, and all spending at least €20 in his shop on coffees's and sandwiches while they charged... and I'm guessing it didn't quite work out like that, and he started taking umbrage with EV drivers as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Won’t be long now before the pallets are back up again. I believe they are still sitting near the charger at the ready. What a tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve been informed that we’re visiting the in-laws in west Mayo on the bank holiday weekend. It’s 314km each way, with four little ones (including two under two) in tow. There are no Tesla superchargers and no Ionity charge points en route (Athlone is quite a bit out of the way) so I’ll be relying on eCars. To say I’m nervous about doing that trip on a bank holiday weekend is an understatement! It won’t be busy, right? 😊

ABRP is telling me to go via Carrick and hog the 150kW charge point for 53 minutes. I’m sure that’ll be popular on Friday evening!

Post edited by markpb on

I predict it will be a sh1tshow markpb

I did a trip to Mayo a few weeks back, and had to rely on eCars....

Stopped at Galway Plaza on the way over and luckily got on the 150kW unit. then did some destination charging at the hotel in Claremorris (broke the charger), and on the way back in absolutely miserable conditions, got on the 50kW unit in Athlone to see us home... This was midweek iirc... on a bank holiday weekend = disaster.

My advise would be to take any one every opportunistic charge you can get whether slow or fast....

passing an available DC charger and your on 70% - plug in and get 15-20% from it

parking close to an AC charger for 30-60 minutes - plug in and take what you can get from it.

Go visit the Renvyle House Hotel, and have lunch... plug into their Tesla Destination charger (of which there are about which there are about 4/5 in that region).

With all those kids in tow, frequent breaks should be planned, so just try and plan them close to fast chargers and take everything you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Can you make it to the in laws with a full battery? or no.

If you can id just drive there and use a granny cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Without knowing where your destination is its hard to give more detail, but I wouldnt be concerned at all. Definitely a top up at Athlone and then another top enroute somewhere along the way. There are still enough 50kW eCars in Mayo.

I tried ABRP and found it was was too conservative. The best planner is Tesla's own on board display - it is highly accruate. Get familiar with the trip energy meter and give yourself a 10% allowance and you'll be grand. The single biggest influence on energy consumption is driving style and given your cargo you're not going to be having a heavy foot.

If you do find yourself going into single digits then simply slow down. EVs, especally the Teslas become amazingly efficient at slow speed - Ive learnt this from experience. I had 30km to my charge point with 3% left a couple of weeks back. Dropped to under 50km/h and made it still on 1%. Even then there is still a bit of juice left - kind of like when a fuel gauge hits empty.

Worst case scenario - you end up having to wait until someone finishes their charge.

Really tempted to do a run down to Waterford now... adds another level of excitement to the eCars roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I would go to Ionity in Athlone. Google maps shows only 6 minutes/18km difference N5 vs M6 from Dublin to Belmullet. Add Ionity Athlone as waypoint on your ABRP route. Is the journey time so badly affected?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Go for the eCars 150kW unit in Athlone instead if you want to half your cost

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Aye, but on a bank holiday weekend, I’d be checking the eCars one as I got closer, and if it suddenly went busy, I’d have no issue detouring to Ionity….

I have the eCars website saved as a favourite in the cars web browser, so it’s very easy to pull up and get live info on availability.. though there’s always those last few precarious moments just as your arriving when another car could be literally pulling in in front of you!! - especially if only 1 plug is available!! Until eCars can remove that fear (and so far Mayfield looks to be the only attempt at it), for every corner of the country, they’ll be sub-standard.

It’s the 69th minute of The All Ireland Final, and eCars are still in the dressing room deciding what kit to wear for the big game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're coming from Dublin right? Personally I'd take the charge at Ionity then use the granny lead on arrival

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

And there is a 50kW available if it is being used. But the Ionity as a one off will give you piece of mind - I have never seen all 4 stands being used at the same time. Also I suspect the October bank holiday is not going to be as busy on the roads out west as the summer, especially given people can also fly again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I live in Mayo and a lot of people go through Athlone when headed for Dublin anyway, you will lose practically no time by going past the Ionity in Athlone on the way down. Where in west Mayo are you headed? If it's Achill there is a 22kw charger at Gielty's if you are stuck for a top up over the weekend.

Depending on where in Mayo you are headed most peace of mind would be to take the motorway all the way to Tuam and then go to West Mayo from there even, you wouldn't add a whole lot to the distance and will be on motorway for longer and will pass more 50kw+ chargers I'm pretty sure (Ballindine and Castlebar being the last two, though I think there is a CCS in westport now too but good luck relying on that not to be in use or iced on a bank holiday).

Thanks all for your help.

I'm going past Belmullet so our normal route would be M4/N4, N5 via Longford to Swinford, N26 to Ballina, etc. There's a string of 50kW charge points along the way as well as the 150kW at Ballinalack so I'd have some comfort that I could keep going to the next one if I arrive at a busy location. Most of the charge points seem to be located in the towns so we could combine food/coffee/toilet stops with charging which would be handy.

Taking a detour to Athlone doesn't look like it would add much time and I can't imagine availability would be an issue. The only downside is that the only food option seems to be McDonalds which I guess the kids won't complain about 😀

Carrick is also an option. It has two charge points and it's slightly closer to Belmullet so we'd arrive with a higher charge which would be handy.

I also have an upgraded 16.5kW AC charger so I could pick up a decent amount of range if we can have lunch or coffee breaks near an eCars SCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

273 each way should be fine in any Tesla no? Just granny charge cable overnight. Stopped at Ecars in Portlaoise Plaza last weekend and took all of 30seconds to kick off the charge.

I updated my original post just now. 😀 It's actually 314km each way via the shortest route. I've a 75D MX so the range is 250-300km ideally and probably 200-250km at this time of year. I've done very few drives of any distance (thanks Covid!) so I've no idea what kind of range I can realistically get. I'm not sure I'll be able to granny charge there (awkward layout) but there's a 22kW SCP at a playground in Belmullet and a Tesla destination charger at a nearby hotel (only 5kW, that's not much use) so I suspect I'll be making use of those while we're there.

Taking a detour to Athlone doesn't look like it would add much time and I can't imagine availability would be an issue. The only downside is that the only food option seems to be McDonalds which I guess the kids won't complain about

The food options are actually pretty decent at the Kilmartin N6 Service Station. The Centra at the services (the eCars charge is right behind it) does great food - better than any of the motorway services. There is also a Subway on the otherside of the Carwash.

@markpb here’s a map of eCars sites where there are more than 1 CCS plug at each site…. So at least you are on a route that’s fairly well served in that regard…

Yeah I'd say you'll be grand, go for a top up at whatever rapid charger is en route and use the destination charger on arrival

I'd almost say you could get there without a midpoint charge, but probably better to arrive with enough juice to get around if needed

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Check killmartins. It's got very low usage. 25% chance it'll be fully occupied around mid day times at the weekend.

• Advertisement

We currently have 9x Tier 3 sites (with another coming in 2-3 weeks), and 1x Tier 2 + Tier 3 site (Mayfield)

So we’re going to get an additional 33 hubs of some configuration or other in the next 24 months. Brilliant.

Works out about 4 new hubs every 3 months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When is the slide from? If that was issued today then it would be 43 hubs in the next 2 years. The plan from the original post would of resulted in 50 hubs*.

The plan was roughly 6 Tier 1, 16 Tier 2 and 34 Tier 3. It looks to me like they haven't made any changes to the plan since early 2019.

Gosh the presenter looks delighted with his job, makes me tired just looking at him 😂

43 new hubs is good news, they're not real hubs since there's only 2 chargers but it's better than the SPOF that most charging sites have

Is it a bad sign that out expectations have been beaten down so low at this point that weconsider this good

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What's the 1 Tier 2 site currently?

There's 10 hubs out there currently, and over 50 is the plan before end of 2023.

These are the ones they've listed so far as coming soon:

• Oranmore, Co Galway
    • Lahey, Co Donegal
    • Rochestown, Co Cork
    • Frankfield, Co Cork
    • Blanchardstown Centre, Co Dublin
    • Ballysimon, Co Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭bkeane

I think Andy was counting Mayfield as both a Tier 2 and 3 site, since by ESB's own definition of a Tier 1 site (8x HPCs) Mayfield doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

There are some non ESB chargers in belmullet, off the top of my head the hotel and lidl. See plugshare app. From memory hotel may be slow AC, lidl faster AC and free.

Mayfield is not a Tier 1 hub as it only has 3 HPC's.

so half of it is Tier 2 (2 HPC's), and half of it is Tier 3 (1 HPC & 1 FCP), so its not a dedicated Tier 2 site of its own.... but the only way to describe Mayfield is as a Tier 2 + Tier 3, but definitely not a Tier 1

Remember when Mayfield was first announced, the promo graphics showed it with 4 HPC’s….. I guess they dropped one of the HPC’s to accommodate a 50kW unit with AC, when in reality it probably would have been much better with the 4 HPC’s, and a dedicated twin AC22 off to the side, or even where the old charger was….

Frankfield has to be a Tier 2 site... minimum needs 2 HPC's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm sure eCars are classing it as a tier 1 hub, they probably did it that way for redundancy while they were testing the integration of the new model charger into their network. It's their internal classification so there really is not point splitting hairs over what they call it.

• Advertisement

It's just typical of everything eCars.......... sub-standard..

Only 7 cars can fast charge at that site simultaneously, yet they proclaim it an 8 car hub...

Last one there gets the AC....

Advertisement