Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Rooney disappears up her own etc

1235»

Comments

I said 1989 but to be honest the debate was over in the early 60's when the communists had to put up a wall in Berlin to stop people from escaping their system. It's just such a regressive step to follow such an ideology. From someone who would be considered to be our brightest and best. The mind boggles.

Promoted as our brightest and best, does not mean our brightest and best. Really good art(books, movies, etc) tend to challange audiences and can provoke dislike.

As far as I'm concerned, if the East Germans couldn't do it when they were a homogenous country, then no modern multicultural country has a snowball's chance in hell of making it work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea man if something didn't work post-war in a world without automation and modern technology then there is no way it could ever work in a completely different circumstance.

the upcoming world with automation sounds like it will resemble Earth in the Expanse. Small elite with useful skills etc, ruling over a huge underclass of people who don;t work on basic subsistence.

• Advertisement

Are you saying it was lack of technology that led to the failure of communism? Technology as a tool for repression is an even more frightening prospect to be honest.

The failures of communism were not due to technology. They were failures of economic structure, combined with human failings and corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I can't point to a communist regime past or present. Dictatorships using religion or politics as a cover, lots. Russia is arguably a dictatorship masquerading as a capitalist democratic society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well I'm about 30 years older than her and went to Trinity in the 1980s. Was life a bit different then? Hell yeah.

When I was a "normal person" in Trinners, condoms were ILLEGAL!!! In the budget announcement this week, they are to be provided FREE to people in their early 20s.

Free Frenchies!!!!!! What wouldn't we have given for them back then?

In fairness the Student Union at the time, led by one Joe Duffy, heroically defied the law by making Johnnies available for sale in the SU shop. Only problem was you had to ask the rather severe old matron who served behind the counter to fish you out a packet from under the desk. No self-service picking them and hiding them in the shopping basket beneath the Evening Herald. And that was enough of a prophylactic to deter many a shy spotty youth.

Most reliable way to stock up for the year was to take a load of old 5ps with you when you went to Germany to work for the summer. They were the same size and weight as the old Deutschmark coin but only about a sixth of the value. So in that land of the civilised where nearly everything was available from an automatic vending machine, you could amass a year's supply of frenchies, fags, chocolate bars etc at a discount in excess of 80% if you had planned ahead and brought a tenner's worth of fivepences.

Screw "Ever greater European Union"; the amount of Irish 5ps left in their vending machines every summer was the real reason the Germans wanted the euro. :)

True fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I spent a summer working in BMW in Munich, they had beer vending machines in the break areas. Spaten. Nice and cold too. 😉 I nearly always worked far away from that part of the plant though, and the break area there only had a coffee machine...

I don't remember seeing "Achtung Baby" but "Anti-Baby Condom" machines were everywhere! (not in the BMW plant, I mean)

But back in holy catholic Ireland, condoms were not illegal as such - since Charlie Haughey's "Irish solution to an Irish problem" law in 1979, you could obtain them on a doctor's prescription. But many doctors wouldn't prescribe them to unmarried people, and many more wouldn't prescribe them at all!

Then one had to find the protestant pharmacist that actually stocked them...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anti Baby Condoms!!! I haven't heard that for a while. Ah the memories!!!

I remember one doctor (I think his name was Andrew Rynne) fulminating on TV about how ridiculous it was that doctors had to write prescriptions for condoms. To him it was a trivialisation of his powers which were granted to doctors so that they could use their expertise to limit the availability of powerful pharmaceuticals to situations in which they were beneficial and to regulate dosages for the same reason. Condoms, by contrast, were "harmless pieces of rubber. An Aspirin is infinitely more dangerous and is available over the counter," he raged.

Wish we had more doctors like him today.

Can you imagine what those puffed-up prima donnas would say if Irish factories were offering beer for sale on the shop floor as BMW did? (I worked a couple of summers there myself but then, who of our age didn't?) It didn't seem to do BMW any harm. But oh, the pearl clutching we would have to listen to from the likes of Alcohol Action Ireland and their charlatan cheer leaders in the medical profession if somebody tried doing tht here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I agree with you

She is a known anti-Irish attention seeking slob hired by the British press to insult other countries, nationalities, religions, etc (like Kevin Myers and co)

I highly doubt those who criticise Rooney for BDS really care about Arab women and Chinese Muslim to be honest

That said, Rooney, O’Neill, Geldof and even Edna O’Brien court the likes of these ignorants when they publish bizarre mopey tropes about victim hood and their persecution complex in Oireland to flog their wares and line their pockets

Sometimes it backfires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Frenchies 😎

Been a long while since I heard that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Popped into this thread to read what people thought of her not allowing the latest book to be translated to Hebrew, went to the last page, but it doesn't seem to be about Rooney at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

She hasn't 'not allowed her book to be translated into Hebrew'. What she has done is not allowed the Israeli publisher of her two previous books to publish her latest one. She is still open to having her book translated into Hebrew and published by a non-Israeli publisher, in fact she seems quite happy to do so. This may not be something easily achieved but the translation part certainly is as there must be a number of people who could do the job and would be acceptable.

What do I think? I support her right to do this but if I was in a similar position probably wouldn't follow her example. Not to get too political, most of the criticism seems to be along the lines of 'why isn't she taking the same stand over a Chinese translation/publication' but what I think this misses is that Israel, unlike China, puts itself forward as and is generally accepted as a part of 'the free-world' upholding human-rights, holding democratic elections etc., just as the Apartheid regime in South Africa did at a time when Mao was still around in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The real issue in that scenario is wealth inequality. Those elites get the lion's share of the wealth and the rest get the crumbs. A lot of those elites in The Expanse are just there by merit of being born into it. Pretty much just a future USA as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

That's why they don't screen old black movies on tv anymore, not enough Asians in the Westerns.

Advertisement