Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Since the mental health debate has gone mainstream over the past 10 years suicide rates have risen.

'If they can make a living more power to them'. All absolute charlatans.

Suicide rates have risen while the Bressies etc self indulge.

And Rory didn't bawl after an arduous week, he bawled from task 1. Go look on the player after climbing flights of stairs, task 1.

Post edited by Láidir agus Dílis on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You reckon they're correlated? Jesus wept.

And what's this "debate" you speak of? What are people debating?

Jesus wept can you not see 'it's ok not to feel ok' etc aren't doing anything to lower suicides. They are just empty platitudes that sound good. Jesus wept!

The root causes are much deeper. In relation to young males' roles in society today, things the fluffy mental health charlatans will never touch. Bressie talking about Jeffrey etc is childish nonsense.

The mental health debate refers to the increased coverage of mental health issues on current affairs shows, talk shows and the media in general. Some good, a lot of fluff. John Kirwan, former Kiwi rugby player is excellent. Articulate and informed.

Post edited by Láidir agus Dílis on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

What do you mean when you say MINTL HILT? I've seen you use it a few times and I dont get it. Am I missing something or is it just a way of devaluing the phrase mental health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Have a listen to Blindboy just once and you'll know why I say it.

By the way, my personal opinion is that we've gone overboard in the mental health talk. Every man and his dog now seems to claim they suffer from depression or something. "it's ok not to feel ok" is what they say. But I would add "It's ok that you don't feel not ok too!"

Listening to all these people you would subconsciously think you have a problem if you're not depressed or anxious. Getting nervous for an exam or job interview isn't a mental illness. Feeling down for a day or two is not depression.

Jaysus, if you're recommending blindboy, things must be bad.

I'll pass.

Was just wondering why you've said it a couple of times cos I havent seen the phrase like that before is all.

I'm referring to Blindboys obsession with mental health. He's like a pokemon who just repeats the words mintl hilt

I think Rory is Marmite. Very little middle ground opinion.

I find him totally uninspiring. A bluberer. If I was in the midst of a bad bout of depression seeing or hearing him would probably make me worse. John Kirwan more my type of man. Look if he helps one person that's enough. Just didn't expect to see him take over Hell Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know hes a big unfit bloke in comparison to some of the other contestants, but he just cried from the start, asked to climb a ladder and he cried. He did SCRATCH, I don't remember him doing much else physically exerting. The rest looked like good fun.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I've never heard a second of him so not aware of his shtick. Assume it's an accent thing you're mocking spelling it that way then since hes from Limerick?

Was just curious as I thought I was missing something but doesnt seem so.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

And are you seriously suggesting that that's because people are talking about mental health rather than hiding it? You don't think it has more to do with social media and resulting bullying and societal pressures which have both grown enormously in the last 10 years? You don't know what you're talking about.

No what you're doing is undermining it and acting like it's not a real thing - you even called it a "trope". People like you are exactly the problem we've had in this country for years.

From what Barry and Trimby were saying on their show about it everyone loved Rory, he was a serious team player and he dragged them through scratch. Everyone here has their own view which is fair enough but it's based on a portrayal on a heavily edited TV show.

For the record I'd heard of Rorys Stories before the show but had no idea what it was or who this guy is. Still haven't seen him do anything outside of the show so I'm not an apologist, a relative or a massive fan or anything.

No. I'm suggesting a lot of the waffle talk is having no impact.

I know a lot more than you about what I'm talking about.

If you think that Rory fella is going to have a major influence on the mental health of the nation, or Bressie you're simply not at the races.

Out of 5 who watch the show in my workplace all thought he'd set mental health advocacy back years. He's an incoherent, bawling, babbling mess. Listening and looking at him would only further depress people. His online sketches are mostly rubbish, something similar to the 2 Johnnies. That's the problem with Ireland, too small, the elevation of mediocrity. And if they mention mental health oh give them their fill of airtime.

There are an awful lot more factors than social media effecting people's mental health. Increases in suicides in the 40-65 age group have nothing whatsoever to do with social media. Most of this age group don't give 2 sh*ts about social media.

You are very poorly informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Rory O'Connor wasn't mentally fit for the programme. He's clinically depressed.

He has a lot of work to do and I hope he returns to full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Rory McStory fella was a greedy pig in the last episode and didn’t care too much for the physical health of the lad who’s dinner he was swallowing. Maybe the main reason all these z-listers harp on about their depression and anxiety is because they are narcissists and have an unhealthy obsession with themselves.

It’s a pity frostbit boy wasn’t on the show. Seems after his swimming escapades down in Kerry he is a fairly hardy buck, and a real character too. He probably wouldn’t take well to the verbal abuse though as is a bit of a free spirit.

That was the name of their show. I mean Barry is actually Barry's name believe it or not.

• Advertisement

Get real? I'm talking about the views of the people who were actually on the show and together for 4 days. You're basing your view on what was televised over 3 hours and your perception. One of these is "real" (here's a hint: it's not yours)

Do you work in mental health? I really hope not. I would be seriously worried about the state of mental health services in Ireland if someone like you would talk about people suffering from such issues in such derogatory terms.

On a separate note, one thing that's puzzled me is in the opening credits there's a brief shot of Andrew Trimble in full camo gear and face, maybe standing in water. Unless I missed it this didn't feature in any episode and now Trimble's gone?

Have you ever attended a psychiatrist? Have you attended for 25 years and worked silently on your mental health? Mental health is hard work and you'll get tough love from a professional. As the saying goes sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Sometimes reality is harsh, but you'll be better for dealing with it in the long run.

When you attend a psychiatrist you'll have to work hard on CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), mindfulness and getting your meds combination right. You may need counseling for deeper issues. It can take years.

The Rory's stories and Bressies of this world are light touch artists, full of waffle and platitudes. At the end of the day YOU have to do the work in conjunction with medical experts. 'It's ok to not feel ok' and such isn't even the tip of the iceberg. These fellas want a career for themselves.

If Rory was speaking on a Prime Time segment, a dedicated mental health program, fair enough. But over loading us with his tears on an Ultimate Hell Week special forces program is down right wrong. For many reasons.. one he isn't well enough to advise, that should only be done when you've in some way come through the illness. Two he's not well enough mentally to compete in this. Three there's a time and a place. In my experience he would cause more depression than help it. Why? Because he's a bad advertisement, being in the midst of it. He's not inspiring, he's not saying 'look at me, you can defeat this thing'. He should be looking after himself and not on tv.

Rory O’Story was a real dumbass academically that is very evident. But now you don’t need brains to succeed, you just need to have no shame and be willing to do anything in front of a camera and share online. You can even go to Dubai and get paid by rich men to get shi++ed on if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Did you pay for a Sherpa to shìt on you that time you climbed Everest?

Melanie Nocher is...alert😂

I used to collect frozen yaks **** to burn in the fire during the expedition on the lower valleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

• Advertisement

The red head is sexy as fcuk!

Advertisement