Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

sounds like Furlong and Conan will be back this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I looked this up before, it's usually ~70-75% attendances across the year for the Irish provinces with Ulster usually highest by a few %, But all generally around the same. Glasgow are the highest, apparently, and it's not even close.

For the last four years, obviously not including last year, if wikipedia is to be believed:

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think the attendances they announce are actual counts of the number of tickets scanned but rather number of season tickets + extras sold.

Leinster figure is also skewed by the ~30/40k attendances at the Leinster Munster Aviva game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The redevelopment of one stand of the RDS to get an additional 2000 seats at a cost of €50million seems high.

The Allianz Stadium in the Austrian capital, opened 5 years ago cost €53 million for a brand new 28k seater Stadium build after knocking the old Stadium 2 years previously.

Surely there must be a better option than throwing €50 million at the RDS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leinster Rugby are not giving the RDS €50M or anything like it.

The RDS are spending the €50M with a contribution from Leinster I'd also assume that Leinster will get some kind of kick back in terms of the rents they pay to the RDS as they are contributing to the upgrade so the net cost to Leinster will be likely even lower over time.

It's also not just adding 2k seats , it's improving the facilities etc.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I get it that it's the RDS that is upgrading the facilities and that it's not Leinster Rugby. The Rds and Leinster are looking for about half the funding to come from the government. €10m was previously committed and now they are looking for another €10m.

Back in 2018 the upgrade was going to cost €20million.

Then it jumped to €40 and now it's coming in at €50million.

I still think its a hell of a lot of money for the Anglesea stand to be developed and still be left with a stadium with the capacity in the region of 20/21k.

No matter how good the new hospitality facilities will be it's difficult to justify the costs.

You'd imagine a brand new 25k seater Stadium could be built for €50-60m

By the time this work is complete it will be time to update the rest of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It absolutely is!

not a dig, it’s the same everywhere. Ulsters announced attendances bear no resemblance to reality either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - Announced attendance is always "total season tickets + tickets sold on the day" so the figure they give is always quite a bit higher than the actually number of people in the ground.

Possible XV for saturday?

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Leavy
    7. JVDF
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. COB
    13. Ringrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Keenan
    16. Sheehan
    17. Dooley
    18. Healy
    19. Murphy
    20. Doris
    21. McCarthy
    22. Byrne
    23. TOB

• Advertisement

Id imagine you are not far off the team.

I would like to see Healy get a start at 3.

And Adam Byrne to get another run out. But similarly larmour and Lowe need game time too..

Not sure Doris is fit for this weekend or that Furlong is available

I’m talking about the reality of attendances at the games I have been too. Apart from two or three games a season the RDS is always about 75% full. To say it’s only half full for most league games other than inter pros couldn’t be further from the truth. The lowest recorded attendance in 2019 was just over 10,000 that’s a little over half full. They have changed the way attendance's are recorded on the last few seasons. They don’t include all the season ticket holders anymore. Or the minimum would be 12,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its definitely more than half full for most games. But there is always 2 or 3 a season where its below half, due to opposition/timing/weather

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

henshaw isnt injured is he?

theres no mention of him in any injury update.

if available for selection id imagine he will be part of the squad v scarlets.... looking at the test schedule going forward.

Nice

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Scarlets were terrible last week. This is going to be an absolute bloodbath.

Spread is -25, I'd expect Leinster will beat that comfortably.

jesus that front row.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Healy to TH experiment didn't last too long lol.

I don't think we've seen the last of him at TH because he's been excellent there I think.

Amazing to see if he can successfully flip flop between both LH and TH this season

The likelihood for the big games, all being fit. Would always have been Healy covering LH. With Porter and Furlong starting.

Christ That's a pretty Impressive team for Scarlet's at home.

Bar maybe mcgrath and henshaw it could be argued to be first choice.

Some competition for back row.

No leavy, penny, deegan.

Id say that front row and the make up of the front row bench is what we will see in champions cup later in December. Healy while impressive if he is named as 18 pushes ala'alatoa out of the squad and can't see that happening.

It's a pity that leinster are not playing ulster this weekend with connacht going up against munster.

Would be an ideal time for interpros before squads are announced for November.

That's a serious side - Pretty much as strong as is currently available I'd say.

I'd expect (hope) that the Scarlets are a good deal better than last week when they were frankly awful , but hard to see anything other than a comfortable Leinster win at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Scarlets team v Leinster (RDS Arena; 17:15; S4C/Premier Sports)

15 Ioan Nicholas; 14 Johnny McNicholl, 13 Jonathan Davies (capt), 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 3 WillGriff John, 4 Lloyd Ashley, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Tomas Lezana, 8 Blade Thomson

Reps: 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Rob Evans, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Morgan Jones, 20 Shaun Evans, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Tom Rogers.

Not a bad side but you'd expect Leinster to win this handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Costelow had an absolute howler last weekend against Munster.

I'd fully expect Johnny to be giving him all sorts of grief and Josh would want to be planning on giving the poor kid nightmares about a red scrumcap.

He's only young and the RDS against a Leinster side of this calibre could be the making of him.

Worth noting that ex Leinster contact skills coach Hugh Hogan is now the D coach for Scarlets.

I'd expect them to make our lives a bit difficult in some regards

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

JOB out and TOB in. Not sure why. Hopefully nothing too serious….

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

Have a spare ticket for todays match in RDS . PM me if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Anyone know if the Laighin out is open today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any post RDS pub recommendations: somewhere we can watch the Connacht match and ideally not be crammed in like sardines? Even better if it’s a covered beer garden with TVs. I was thinking Horse Show House, any others?

Advertisement