Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I am sure he has an opinion. Opinions are like arseh***es everyone has one.

As you didn't provide a link to what his opinion is then I don;'t know if they have/haven't. The government have figured out you can't have rental properties without LL's. Love or hate them but that is true. The swing towards the tenant has driven a huge percentage of the Irish LL out of the market and that is why we have the issues in rentals. It was easier to flog the property and move on.

The government are trying to fix that. Will it work? lets see in 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Quite common to see these landlords born into the property or money which I was not. Myself and a lot of people my generation and younger can't afford a single family home never mind property to rent out.

We are in the middle of a housing crisis and making life easier for landlords to buy up even more of the houses will only make it worse

Building accommodation on the masses of derelict sites in Ireland and ring fenced for first time buyers is the only way out of this but sadly for the landlords that will hurt rental and property prices.

From what I can see if we want out of this we are gonna have to upset a lot of landlords and NIMBYs too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I support the budget in so far as it wasnt financially reckless...

I'd get rid of lpt, supported by all and would benefit those that contribute far more then their fair share, the most...

Property tax in a properly run country is a good thing, here the rate its charged at, all the exceptions, the massive under valuing that goes on, it's a waste of time. Collects less than a billion afaik...

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are no real exceptions to the LPT, it is one of the most effective taxes you can have in terms of ensuring widespread compliance and ensuring that everyone is contributing.

This is exactly the reason why SF want to get rid of it.

Not everyone wants to buy a house, especially a young couple moving in for first time. That plan would end up with people either staying at home or buying a house. Unworkable for any country

• Advertisement

Once you own a house you pay LPT. No hiding money in another country etc. It is a great tax and one that has seen great improvements in local amenities around Ireland.

As posted it is hugely effective and everyone has to pay. Other parties talkign about getting rid of it haven't a clue and they are just using buzz word to keep people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It must be a good one if it offended so many groups at once but the media do their level best to hunt down every malcontent with an opinion they can find. The real positive is the huge chunk of money they plan to commit to infrastructure, housing and health. The other "giveaway" stuff is crowd pleasing but will be very quickly offset by rising fuel and energy costs. Many of us in the crowd would like to see signs of things being fixed and improved.

No I am not calling for the abolition of rental property just the ending of its current monopoly as the only option in town.

Rental accommodation is a great part of the mix in a functional housing market but we don't have one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thank you. My feeling exactly. I don't think this 'fiver for everybody in the audience' is useful or warranted.

I'd prefer to see something tangible that would benefit society as a whole. An example of the top of my head could be that primary education is truly free and parents would never be required to buy school books or pay 'contributions' while little Mary or Johnny are in NS. Or the state provides free public transport for all school/ college pupils.

But this piecemeal budget is an attempt to try and please everyone but actually not really helping anyone.

I look forward to seeing the new infrastructure, housing and reductions in health care waiting lists, currently standing at 900,000 patients.

But it's not the only option in town. At the moment on daft you have over 10,500 houses for sale and over 1500 apartments for sale. That is in the middle of a housing crisis we are told about.

After the last crash the plan was to move Ireland towards more of a rental system instead of this obsession with "getting the foot on the property ladder". Ten years later and everyone is obsessed again with buying houses.

Rental has no monopoly, due to the changes the number of rentals have dropped as LL got out of it, the risks are too high for bad tenants that you cannot get rid of, people wrecking properties and walking away with no come back etc. All this changes have resulted in a lack of rental properties. The likes of DCC failing to build social housing for the last number of years and also failing to get rent from tenants hasn't helped either. It is a catalogue of things but pushing everyone down the route of having to buy a house or suck it up is the totally wrong direction Ireland should be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Many had an exemption for years from lpt. Many pay e90 a year... it's not paid by those in social housing. I'd be in favour of a poll tax...

Every adult in the local authority area contributes...

My alternative simple budget. Lpt gone. Significant motor tax increases on all new petrol and diesel In particular cars... significant increases in the threshold before you pay the marginal rate of tax. No more free gp visits! E25 a visit for everyone...

Non of this one broke taxpayer pays e60 and the non worker gets it for nothing. Totally ridiculous!

Any adult on social welfare won't.

Plus someone in a multi million property is going to pay the same? the LPT is to cover off the county council to provide for people living in the area. The best way is the LPT and it has worked massively successfully. Why anyone would change is beyond me?

A poll tax will be a nightmare to work out

In regards to the update with Motor tax, that was done last year. Diesels etc got hit, diesel imports got hit. Fuel prices have increased. So all been done.

So people are sick and your great idea is to target them? we should be looking after the sick, not trying to take money off them. That's what the government are trying to do.

I agree with you on one thing and only one. All the talk of "getting on the property ladder" was an absolute disgrace. Buying a house should be about having a home for you and your family for most of your life and not some ladder where you are forever going on about resale value and moving up the ladder

I think we need more free GP visits for people not on medical cards. The visits I am talking about are the ones where your GP has informed you that you have to go back every x number of months for a re-evaluation of your medication. Some people will have to do that and pay out for their entire working life and I think it should be different to someone going in with a cough

• Registered Users Posts: 68,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why you are trying to bluff on this, escapes me, when a quick google will bring up the fact that reaction to the budget is 'mixed' to say the least. Here is an overview from just the business sector where parts have been welcomed and parts have been 'heavily criticised'.

Mixed reaction to Budget 2022 measures from business (rte.ie)

If you had read the thread you would of found I shared the exact link you just shared 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And?

Yu were trying to bluff that reaction on a radio show was positive. If you had any intention to be credible you would have known anything representing 'reaction as positive' was false and misleading. But no, you pushed the radio show out there as indicative. Chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

If SF supporters are all looking for handouts, never worked a day etc., they don't pay LPT.

While we do away with protections for renters we extend them for landlords. Says it all.

What protection for renters? the protection that if they don't bother paying a LL cannot throw them out? do you really think that is a long term plan for any government?

You are creating your own thing to get upset about. Nobody said anything about refusing to pay rent.

Pandemic assistant to help renters during Covid. Why extend it for Landlords but not renters? As with your attitude here it's tipped to favour the landlord. The FG mindset hasn't changed in a hundred years.

• Advertisement

It's a discussion forum, people discuss topics, the constant accusation of people getting upset adds nothing to the topic

The pandemic in reality is over now for the majority of people. All offices are fully opened soon and even the traffic when I went to Dublin earlier was back to crazy pre-pandemic

Are you ignoring or did you forget the comment you are getting up in arms about? They extended the covid protections for landlords but not renters. Get onto FF/FG/Green about that. They also extended wage help for business where you and I are subsidising supermac's profits through johnny flipburger's wages. You're good with that too I imagine.

I am up in arms about nothing, as I said I am happy with the budget. Not my problem why you can't understand why they would do continue the LL, why not ring and ask?

If I am helping people who are willing to go out and work then yes I am happy with that. It the people sitting at home and could work is the waste of money from my point of view. Some other parties are more interested in ploughing money into those people, I prefer to give it to the workers

Good on the government

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Would've been more than living wage but when you factor in €70-80 fuel costs and best part of two hours travelling every day that is lost, It was the extra cost of travelling I was on about ,you seen to have taken it up wrong,

I criticised ceasing protections for renters while extending it for landlords. This put your nose out of joint.

You are assuming renters need protection from being thrown out due to not paying rent or such but Landlords and business need protection for genuine reasons.

I seem to spend more time explaining things to you, including previous comments you made yourself, than actually discussing anything.

"nose out of joint" based on what? you should never made assumptions on a forum. Nothing in my posts suggest anything is out of joint.

If you spend a lot of time explaining your own posts that is not my fault, so sorry I can't help you

You twist posts, that is not my fault and sorry I can't help you either on that.

No need to get personal.

I mentioned they were cutting back on protections for renters while extending them for landlords. You've an issue with renters getting protections but support it for landlords. Fair enough. Not sure why you have an issue with my opinion that that isn't fair.

You made a comment as if I had intellectual issues and couldn’t understand your posts or even my own

I seem to spend more time explaining things to you, including previous comments you made yourself, than actually discussing anything

I was just explaining if people have an issue understanding your posts it’s not something I can help you with. Will leave you to it

Geez louise. I pointed out they cut back on renters protections but extended landlord protections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

No, I did not take it up wrong.

You seem to have a problem with the cost of fuel, and think that it will make it harder to employ or retain staff. I said that you should consider paying them more.

Workers have a right to work where they want, not were you think they should.

Advertisement