Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive modding in regional forums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Believe it or not but while living in New York years ago I was a rather prolific poster in a thread about a local chipper in Waterford despite never having even been in the county up to that point.

I did rectify that a couple of years ago and enjoyed a cod and chips in said chipper!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Agreed.

I meant banning parlance. I.e 'blank cheques' whilst discussing the subject of open ended unknown value funding. It makes no sense to ban a term which accurately describes the core issue at hand . Cost. A blank cheque entirely describes the current campaign as no one's seems to have put a cost on it.

So I personally draw the line at English language banning versus what could be construed at slang terms to antagonise. There's a stark difference and it's not even a blurred line in this instance.

As regional forums should be. An opportunity to discuss and learn , engage and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I learned about and gave business to a great chipper thanks to boards and what was a great thread at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

They haven't there are figures floating around all over the place. They have not yet put a figure on it. The respondents haven't put a figure on it outside of 'whatever it takes' which sounds like a term that should be banned ?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As has been traditional in these threads I waited until an invite was extended before posting.

I have read with interest the content of some of the posts here and Im disappointed but not surprised that some people will resort to lying in order to advance some crusade or other. There are accusations of a one sided discussion and only posts of a certain viewpoint are allowed in the mica thread in the Donegal forum. Well, there are over 2000 posts in that thread and I invite anyone to show me where opposing viewpoints have not been allowed. Is the suggestion that the 2000+ posts are all self serving, back patting by the regular Donegal posters? Seriously people, get a life.

Re: Bans. I have given my reasons on thread for the bans so Im not going to plough the same field twice. Those affected are well aware of the reasons.

Re: Posting a mod warning and introducing a ban on the use of certain words and phrases. This was necessary as a result of the hurtful comments made and I have a duty to prevent more suffering by some of our posters and the people of Donegal generally. That list can and will be added to as and when the occasion arises and I make no apology for it. If people were a bit more sensitive and thoughtful it wouldnt have been necessary

My co-mod hasnt really been active in the thread as they have tendered their full trust and backing in my ability to be impartial in dealing with the large volume of low lever trolling posts in the thread. The only time they got involved was when attempting to rein in a particular poster who they thought i was being too soft with.

As for the bold text ... I occasionally access the site on a tablet and for whatever reason I cannot post in bold. I can from the desktop so I will endevour to stick to it from hereon (as much as possible)

Finally re aggressive modding. Have any of you noticed the aggressive posting by some people? Sadly there isnt a mention of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Wasn't going to comment, but I was given a yellow card for making the comment "it won't be long before those 200k houses will cost 500k with guaranteed government money" seemingly I was accusing only Donegal people directly. Someone was later banned for agreeing, but in fairness they did say I shouldn't have gotten a warning at all or I didn't say anything about Donegal people.

Oh and same comment was made in the politics forum no issues

Muffler did later remove the card in fairness

Post edited by reniwren on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, get you now on the English language points

As I read through the posts I think the first reference to "blank cheques" was actually made by someone who was supporting the protests. However I think it's fair to say that when used to challenge protesters people can quite rightly contend that is not what they were looking for - as the poster in question was actually highlighting. Equally "McMansion" implies something beyond a "regular" home. Again posters were not looking to suggest any compensation would be unlimited. The use of such terms can quickly rile other posters as it actually can detract from their main arguments, and indeed suggest that some claims were almost excessive.

Without wanting to comment on the topic itself (which I have learned more about by working through some of the posts in the thread) I can easily see how people can feel offended by such terms being applied to their own (very) personal positions. Mods have discretion. They use it all the time. In Current Affairs we banned the term "Sleepy Joe" because it was being used by Trump supporters to rile up Biden supporters. It's a feature of the site that mods can and indeed should on occasion make judgement calls. There is no need to have explicit rules in the charter. In CA we say "Don't be a dick" - that encompasses this sort of situation. There are plenty of examples of thread-specific rules across the site. You can look at most of the long-running threads in the CA and Coronavirus forums. I have placed many warnings in the OPs of such threads. It's a very pragmatic way of de-escalating things without having to point to a specific rule about such minutiae.

• Advertisement

'McMansion' and 'blank cheque', etc. are to the Mica thread what 'face nappy' and the 'cervical smear scandal' are to the Covid restrictions thread. Banning words and phrases is not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its not new, but they usually appears in the opening post and is flagged in the thread title. Neither of which were done in this case until well after the bans were handed out. I actually have no problem with the strategy if it cools threads but the application needs to be even handed. After the ban of the phrase "blank cheque" was imposed it was alright for another poster to use it - just because he was sympathetic to the protesters

My own ban I was accused of trolling, for posting what I literally witnessed myself. If thats not biased modding, I don't know what is.

Thanks for joining us Muffler, this discussion up to now has been a bit like Hamlet without the prince. I'd like if you could expand on who you think is lying here as that's a serious accusation you're laying. Most people have been voicing opinions, ones which they are entitled to.

As for aggressive posting, If I had posted the comment you made to me before you decided to ban me, I would've been banned.

Also, can you tell us when the charter was changed and how that change was communicated to the forum users?

On the Covid thread it wasn't originally flagged in the first post. People were banned after it had been mentioned 'in thread' and then it eventually made it into the first post. That happened in this instance too.

It was stated in this thread that only posts of a certain viewpoint were being entertained .. or words to that effect. That is a lie.

As for the charter. It is ever evolving and can be and has been altered at various stages. I wasnt aware that anyone had to be consulted or notified but if that is a rule can you show me where Im required to do so?

I think that anyone reading the postd from muffler above would be under zero illusion as to how that thread has been modded, and while I understand where the lack of mods for forums makes things difficult its tough to see this kind of modding backed after a considered review- its total echo chamber stuff and its surely not what the regional forums are meant for?

Ah here, its well established that the charter shouldn't be unilaterally edited or ninja edited. The current charter still has 2007 as the post date, and no edit note, despite being edited recently.

And its certain viewpoints that are only being moderated. You only ever seem to call heel to the posters that do not agree with 100% redress despite there being posts well worthy of moderation from the 100% redress posters.

You wouldn't mind commenting on the trolling post you made towards me on thread, the one directly preceding where you banned me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

This is the way on a lot of forums. The moderators opinion becomes the prevailing opinion eventually.

Moderators giving their opinions and having the power to shut up others giving opposing views (and using it) is the wrong way to moderate IMO.

This is why a lot of forums become echo chambers.

Of the top of my head I can think of at least 2 regular posters in that forum who were banned by me not to mention the various "on thread" and private warnings issued together with edited posts. These would be people who were supporting the 100% redress.

Unlike yourself they didnt post again when requested not to.

On just one single page, there were 6 posts 1905, 1907, 1910, 1912, 1915, 1916 that were abusive towards me, called me a troll or accused me of having a vested interest. What exactly did you do about it? Nothing, because you are on their side. Not that I like seeing posters banned tbf.

I did indeed accidentally post in that thread, after I was banned, I thought I was in the other (politics) one. I went back later to delete it but saw it gone already. Genuinely sorry about that - I do try to keep to the rules.

• Advertisement

An invite ? I messaged you informing the thread was open in disputes. You were free to attend , and I've zero doubt the clan of posters made you aware of the thread after I did.

My point stands. You banned a term because I used it and you banned me from posting again by telling me if I needed to get anything off my chest to take it to PMs.

That's a backwards way of banning someone for doing nothing. Tbh this thread was opened in disputes specifically for that purpose.

I presume my ban is still in place despite it being objectively baseless.

An astounding display of the level of debate on the forum as whole.

'that term is now banned because I say so'

'if you want to post again take it to PMs' (this was your ban right here btw)

Then banned me....

All above board clearly...

Oh and then the ninja edit of charter and the addition of new parlance you don't like. None of which and I say this with a straight face is antagonistic. It's not sleepy Joe, it's not MC mansion. It's parlance 'blank cheque' it's a common everyday conversational term.

The prevailing opinion in the mica thread in the Donegal forum has absolutely nothing to do with the moderators opinion. It happens to be the opinion of most of the population of Donegal.

I wasn't necessarily talking about that forum. I have got yellows and week long bans on other forums JUST for going against the grain, not very often mind you, and a lot of them decisions left me scratching my head.

I'm throughly amazed you know everyone in Donegal. That's some feat.

Did you report any of these posts? If not, why not?

I haven't lived there long enough to know everyone yet :p

I don't know if that can be genuinely assessed. Given how any opposition to 100% is shouted down online (not just here, those that ask questions on twitter are rounded on, those that do likewise on reddit are downvoted to oblivion), I can't imagine any donegaler putting their head above the parapet on this issue. The one place where all views could once be heard was boards, now at least in the regional forum (and original thread - remember previous threads elsewhere were closed because this one existed, there you are Dr. Phil, thats why I'm here) has joined the twitter/reddit echosphere.

Well generally speaking, it has.

Boards.ie (Everyone is entitled to opinion)

|

|--> Donegal Forum(Everyone is entitled to opinion)

|

|--> Help Desk (Everyone is entitled to opinion)

• Advertisement

I'm surprised. You do seem to want to monopolize the discussion as is evident here. It wouldn't be a big part of controlling the narrative would it ? Getting people banned shutting down discussion making sure the term 100% redress is hunky dory and everyone in Donegal and elsewhere supports it. Without question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement