Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes, he has another 30 years before he could expect to undertake major repair. Since he's only reporting minor cracking, it sounds like major repair is not necessary yet. It may never be within the 50 year timeframe.

While I know there is value in catching the issue early, but not every contaminated block will turn to dust within 50 years. Some sites will be sheltered, some blocks will have lower concentrations of contaminants or higher cement content and be ok.

I have a 6 year warranty on my TV. The vendor was quite clear though, that if anything goes wrong in say the third year, it's not a replacement I'll be getting. While the family home is different, the refusal of repair as an adequate measure is unreasonable. Providing new again neglects the fact that these structures are carrying wear and resets the maintenance by 20 years in this case. That is extra value that is being added by the state to the homeowner.

No. But the homeowner should not be surprised if the building shows deterioration or structural distress at that age that requires major expensive structural repair.

Would it be fair to ask the government to pay to rebuild old houses? I've heard mention that a house built in the 80's is the oldest suffering from this issue.

Houses have lifespans, they degrade with age, they are not eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

So pointing out his house is "nearly half way through it's design life" as you did was irrelevant. It may need major repair within it's design life but you dont know if it will. You were just pointing that out because you wanted to make any request for rebuild in his case seem greedy / unreasonable. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's enough unreasonable cases of rebuild going around in this thread without adding more to it.

Earlier i was accused of lying if I wouldn't want to government to rebuild my entire house for free.

Which is frankly ... Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This whole crisis isn't about peoples 'net worth', its about the home they have paid for.

As for the nonsense about houses only having a 50yr lifespan, this is just more trolling. The country is full of houses that age and more. And there is no sign of 99% of them needing any major structural work. My own parents 1st house was built 54 years ago, in an estate of maybe a couple hundred houses. They moved then to a bigger house in a street of maybe 80 houses built 52 years ago. In both these locations, every single house is still standing strong.

My sisters house is over 100 years old. Still stand strong, in a terrace of about another 20 houses, all built 100yr ago.

Cut out the cr@p talking, its ruining any debate on the thread.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

Could you reread my post.

You suggested we should not use cost effective measures to rebuild affected houses. I questioned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

it's a minimum expectation, that the building will last at least 50 years. Then work may or may not be needed. Technically something like pvc Windows are expected to last 20 years because of sun UV damage but they can last a lot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I quote the user Apothic_Red who posted this over on the Donegal forum, and I couldn't agree more... sadly

'Hello & my sympathies to those suffering, I've no dog in this fight but I am in favour of full redress.

My only fear is builders price gouging knowing it's a blank cheque. I take it am independent QS agrees a cost with the builder & then contracts are signed by both parties. I take it the government payment may only cover builders finish so are the homeowners liable for tiling, kitchen, flooring etc.

With the amount of unknowns to be sorted before a legal contract can be drawn up I can see this process dragging on years. All I'll say is don't lose public support cause some reporter finds out that Kathleen O'Hara is getting brushed aluminum electrical sockets/switches in their new home where the one demolished had basic plastic. There will be parties online & in print looking to undermine you any way they can, be alert to this. The government may only be 100% on your side if it gets them votes.

Good luck.'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: 1st paragraph.

There is ZERO chance my blocks will not need some sort of major repair in the next 30yrs.

Once cracks start to open on homes, the deterioration seems to accelerate. I have seen houses near me which didn't have a crack 18 months ago, and now they are fairly bad. Unless you really keep on top of them, cracks will spread rapidly.

• Advertisement

My argument is that the mortgage be re-structured. They homeowner should not be repaying a mortgage on a dwelling that is 50% / 60% the value of the original house. (in the situation where a replacement house is 3D printed, modular etc.)

If we accept that, can you tell us what kind of aid measures are you willing to accept?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

And should homeowners have their mortgages increased if the value of their properties increase? Tends to be less acceptance of that idea.

Look, if folk end up in negative equity (for whatever reason) they simply have to pay back whatever they borrowed. Because the loan doesn't vanish just because the property falls in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

Gotcha.

What you're suggesting is a free rebuild to equal or better quality, and also an additional lump sum cash payment (or equivalent) to pay off any pending mortgage (and presumably the same for people who have already paid off their mortgage?) because the market currently values their brand new house differently to how the market valued their original house when it was originally purchased?

I can't see a reasonable basis for that. as villageidiot71 has pointed out it's just not what happens when houses go into negative equity.

Link to full article here -> https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/priory-hall-families-to-have-mortgage-debt-written-off-and-new-loans-issued-29641576.html

*As was mentioned in a previous post, 'there will be those who will try to undermine the efforts of the mica home-owners, both online and in the print media'

To those of you who engage in the act of trolling on this issue, in my eyes are no better than the police and their heavies with the battering ram during the evictions in Ireland 150 years ago. To those of you who cannot empathise with the unfortunate people burdened with a mica house, who will have nothing to leave their children and who will spend their working lives paying a mortgage on a house that is worth nothing, you make me sick.

Call yourself a fellow Irish person(s), I wont be looking in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If I was NIMAN I wouldn't answer that as the flesh would be stripped off the bones and thrown right back at you.

Good job you're not NIMAN then. I have no intention of attacking his response, but it would be good to understand what a typical homeowner with a latent or emerging defect considers reasonable. The majority of houses seem to fall into this category.

Everyone that is not 100% agreeing with "100% redress, no less" on the full costs to original spec is just being accused of trolling by a group of posters which number less than 10 but are very active.

Round and round we go. Has anything every been sorted out on boards?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

This bit is very important. If a house has been impacted by Mica but is not suffering any structural issues in the short term nothing needs to done. In the long term something will have to be done but it changes the scenario a bit. One even assuming all the houses impacted will have to be rebuilt there is a big difference between 3.5 billion spread over 10/20 years and the same amount spread over a year or two. Number 2 it opens up the option to strengthen the homes impacted that does not involve a complete rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Your question was directed at NIMAN but I am in the exact same situation as that homeoowner. Some worrying cracks but nothing extensive inside as far as I can tell. Currently waiting for an engineer to give a preliminary assessment but I'm not optimistic.

What I'm willing to accept in terms of aid is immaterial. I will ultimately have no say in the matter and will have to accept what I get. Why do people think this is some kind of negotiation.

I know what I think is fair and that is 100 % redress.

I'm early 50s with two teenage children both planning to go to University. One next year. I worked all my life and my finances were planned to support their education over the next number of years. I will live in a tent before their college is impacted but there is no way I will be able to come up with 100,000 plus euro.

20 to 30,000 might be possible but will involve loans and considerable financial pressure. Anything else will simply not be possible. If my house becomes uninhabitable i will need social housing.

That is my position everyone are in different situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Agreed, you would think they would follow their own advice and stick the their private, insulated Donegal forum.

Well, effectively it is a negotiation. There was a scheme and it was rejected so a new enhanced one is being developed. You must have some idea of the kind of works you want carried out. Saying you want 100% redress, without even having an idea of the solution you are seeking doesn't help. How can that be costed?

So do you want your house replaced? Because from what I can gather, that is the demand the main voices in the campaign want.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Well, if you see me as "no better than the police and their heavies with the battering ram during the evictions in Ireland 150 years ago", I see you as no better than the landlord class during the Famine, not caring one jot about how people might pay rent so long as their own property rights were vindicated.

That takes the whole discussion to a very sustainable place, doesn't it?

Even if it was an insurance claim you wouldn't get 100% redress, wear and tear and valuation are taken into account.

But this is more like the gov stepping in to help people out since there doesnt seem to be anyway to get satisfcation from the various builders and quarries involved.

If this was about cars it wouldnt even be a topic, so your auto maker went bust and left you with a lemon? Tough.

Then the argument seems to be "oh but a house is different, everyone is entitled to a home" in which case you dont need 100% redress, you just need an "equivalent" home to live in.

So while I sympathise with the position these people are in, you cant have it both ways and I dont see 100% redress (whatever that actually means!) as being possible or probable.

The scheme proved to be inaccessible for many due to the upfront cost that many did not have.

Homeowners went to government and government have agreed the Co. council scheme was not fit for purpose. We are now waiting on what comes out of government.

I'm not looking for a new house I want blocks replaced. If there is some engineering solution to achieve that without demolition then fine by me so long as my house is then approved by an engineer and insurable.

What would you suggest I accept. Ultimately I'll have to accept what I get.

My ideal would be for an engineer to tell me my house is fine. That would be a fantastic weight ofy shoulders.

If you were told that your house was not fine and was uneconomical to repair, would you accept an equivalent house (similar size, # bedrooms for example, but no shed, outbuildings etc?)

it would probably be a lot cheaper for the government to build identical houses for everyone, so would you accept that or do you want to get "your house" back to what it should have been from the start?

For someone in your situation the fix now might cost €40,000 for example. In that case you should get 100% of this covered as that is the cheapest option. If this drags on for another couple of years then the cost to fix your house might be the full rebuild cost of €340,000 for example.

At present you are lumped in with someone else's investment property which is in much worse condition it seems and that is wasting time which is the biggest danger for you now in my opinion.

Ideally I want to get my house back but ultimately if it was financial ruin or a different house that's not really much of a choice.

Your house will never be "approved" by an engineer. No constructed house is ever approved - the only engineer that can do that is the one that was there at construction.

As for insurance, it would be no harm if the government legislated that the presence of unremediated inner leaf mica was not grounds to refuse insurance.

• Advertisement

In that situation they could just quite a ridiculous premium I imagine.

Advertisement