Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Late reply to this I know - but how is the Model 3 Performance very different to the Long range?

Different spec motors on each, what else? There's no suspension difference that I know of, and both are dual motor so AWD. Plus on the track the Model 3 might be quicker than an M3, but that's no indication of what each is like to drive. The Model 3 is so quick out of a corner it makes up for a lot of time, but just look at the Top Gear episode where they take it, the M3, Alfa Quadrofoglio and C63 against each other. The Model 3 is quickest time wise on the track they set up, but it looks awful in comparison to the composure of the Alfa through the tight bends. There's no comparison.

A Stopwatch isn't the only measure of a good car, if it was there'd be no point in an MX5!

Not saying the Model 3 isn't a decent car - it really is, it's a great car to be fair, and a great price - with 10grand discount thanks to subsidies helping the price even more. But I still really struggle to see the massive difference between the Performance versus LR. I probably would pay the extra 10 grand if I was in a position to and could afford it easily, but if I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't be massively upset that I'm missing out either.

80k difference between an M3 and 330i - they're completely different cars to be fair, even most of the body panels are different, before you get to chassis strengthening and suspension/drivetrain. 25k would be a better price difference though, like it would have been 10 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Fair points made in the reply.

I'd love to drive the i4 and Model3P back-to-back, it'll be interesting to see how BMW cope with the extra mass of a BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I don’t see it mentioned in previous posts but there’s an embargo on i4 reviews until Oct.13th. Should be a plethora of reviews that day like there is with the iX today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

My M3P did 0-60 in 3.2 all the time according to the draggy or 3.4 without the rollout. If yours was doing 4's there is something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I know you sold your model 3 and are considering/ have ordered a Porsche taycan. Was the Tesla boring? Did you consider i4 at all?

I4 does nothing for me BMW's styling direction at the moment is "challenging" and I dont want to be challenged, also I have had less than stellar experiance with BMW;s ability to make electronics that work. The tesla was drove well, but its not a drivers car, in fact it does almost anything it can to have you avoid having to interact with the car at all. It does nothing to egg you on. The straight line speed grows old after a while and I really wish tesla looked better and felt more premium. The taycan has the looks and feel, albeit at a price. No car is perfect but unlike at the start, its the regular manufacturers are playing catchup to tesla.

I reckon the i4/4 series gran coupe doesn’t look bad at all. Will wait until I see it in the metal though.

Off topic but did you settle on a spec for the Porsche ?

First reviews of the i4 should be out Wednesday morning for anyone who’s interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Really looking forward to seeing these, I think this will be a super car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

first review out that I have seen so far, he’s also one of the best reviewers!

A thumbs up from completecar.ie

Carwow review is up. I won’t spoil the 0-60 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I was under the impression the i4, like the iX, was built on an electric vehicle platform, from the ground up. Seeing these reviews, it's obviously not... Transmission tunnel, why ?? No frunk, guess I could get used without one again... though it's pretty useful for takeaways.

Charging curve:

at 40% goes down to 125kW

50% -> 100kW

^^^ the iX is a new platform I believe, the i4 obviously shares the same platform as the 4 series. It is a bit disappointing alright, an opportunity lost prehaps. Definitely one of the negatives for the i4 is the use of interior space. The transmission tunnel is a real head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

BMW stated some time ago that there would be no new dedicated electric-only BMW platforms developed in the near future. So although new cars now coming to the market are battery compatible, they still contain elements required for traditional ice components, hence things like transmission tunnels, long bonnets (with no storage!) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Reviews seems to be mostly positive so far. I notice they all seem to have the claimed mileage wrong, BMW's claim of ~500km is with 19" wheels where all their test cars had 20" which reduces range by 80kms. The iconic sounds is gimmicky I think, I couldn't see myself using that after a few days. They all seem to be happy with the UI which is good. It's a pity they removed the usual BMW shortcut buttons, I always found those handy.

I'm looking forward to seeing in the flesh and test driving, apparently i40 demos coming to dealers in next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That choice gives them a competitive disadvantage. Not what they need if they finally want to catch up. The lack of a frunk and the transmission tunnel would make the car a lot less suitable as a family car for a family of 5

Looking forward to test driving it myself though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

80km seems alot of range to lose for going for 20" over 19", what is the the smallest wheels it can be factory ordered with and what is the range then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Did anyone actually believe the 500km claim? Must not be current EV drivers if they did. WLTP is better than what was previous but still not realistic unless you are actively trying to eek out range.

Most of the journalist are going to want to give it a bit of a lash around the place, bigger wheels, weather etc. will all make a difference. 500km would be based on mixed city/motorway also.

I'm happy with 80kWh of usable capacity and probably a worst case of 300km range, more than happy with that. I've ordered the metallic portimao but definitely liking the look of the frozen. There will be after market frunks available i'm sure, so long as the bonnet remains accessible.

Boost mode is only available for 10 seconds, was that right? So what does the power output drop down to after that while in sport and is there a battery % cutoff off when boost is no longer available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

looks like the wheel options are from 18"

I really am seeing this as a contender for replacing my G20 330e in a couple of years. I went for the 330e as there wasn't anything in that bracket that appealed to me - the Tesla 3 was the only real contender and I just didn't like it.

One thing I really don't like in the Tesla is the massive screen and I'm not sure how I'd like the new dash in the i4. I love the iDrive 7 and the old school shortcut buttons are used by me all the time. I'm not sure I could justify the M50 version .. but a MSport pack on the i4 would still give the look that I'd want.

It is a compact saloon so will always suffer when thinking of it as a 2+3 family car - it's not the market for it. we are 2+2 family and the 330e just about fits the bracket .. but with a full sized boot it will no different to your run of the mill saloon space wise.

I reckon I'll need to book in a test drive and bring the missus to convince her it is the future !

The rear drive car probably has all the performance you really need and better range but when I spec it up with leather, tech ,comfort and m sport pro to bring it close to the m50 version there is less than 5k between them here.

Current budget policy pushing up vrt on combustion cars makes the m50 a relative bargain. Althouh I know Tesla model 3 performance drivers would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There's a lot of standard extras in the M50 that you'd probably want to include on the standard i4. So the value really is in the M50 model. I can't see them confusing the offerings by allowing an MSport pack either. The M50 probably really is the MSport and not a true M anyway. We're a while a way from offering a true M offering due to battery weight.

I thought I'd be the same regarding the screen being a bit too much but I test drove the iX3 and didn't find it too much. It blends well unlike the Tesla's which just look like you're in an apple store, yuck.

The Hans Zimmer iconic sounds are a stupid gimmick. Dealer asked me the question if I wanted it included or not, I said no, but I feel like it's probably just a coding change anyway and it will be forced upon us when EU regulations come into play.

^^^Iconic sounds is standard on the M50. You can turn it on/off as you please

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No dedicated platform, no dice for me,

the ix3 and i4 are just reworked X3s and 4 series which isnt good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yeah, I too am disappointed it's not on a new, dedicated BEV platform. Also disappointing they have used air suspension in the rear, but springs in front. Adaptive dampers all around would have been better if they couldn't fit air up front.

Lot of compromises, unfortunately, but I'm still interested.

This was an important release and its does nothing for me. It has no USP, not the cheapest, not the fastest, not the best driving, not the most range, not the best looking...its just there. I am sure its a good car and will appeal to the "car enthusiast" more than a tesla for what appears to be similar money to a model 3. But competing with a model 3 this late in the game seems pointless.

Compared to what? Are you basing that purely on Model 3 comparison? Because there’s not a whole lot else in that price bracket. I’ve said it numerous times but I don’t see the Model 3 as a competitor, and something like a Taycan RWD or e tron GT is probably a notch up again the other side of the i4.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

That choice makes business sense, though. BMW is a traditional niche manufacturer (in relative terms) and it makes business sense for it to manufacture different variants of the same basic model on the one production line instead of having to set up a completely new production line. In this way it can transition to ev's while not having to compete head-on with the gorilla in the room and still serve its traditional market in the meantime. I don't think that it's in any doubt though about the task in hand, having squandered good early progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Quite underwhelmed by the early reviews but it looks like a reasonably well priced electric car. The transmission tunnel wouldn't bother me or the non dedicated electric platform. Looks a good car. M50 model 64k in UK, what would thar translate to in Ireland? It would want to be 25k or so below the 100k etron gt and Porsche taycan

Advertisement