Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

A review I read pointed out that Outer Worlds characters were only capable of doing precisely two things - combat, or standing completely still and staring dead-eyed at you while talking. Once I read that, while playing the game I just couldn't see past it, everything is just so flat. There are no other animations, no natural looking interplay between multiple characters, it completely breaks immersion. I didn't think the game was that solid prior to reading that either, I'm a fan of older Obsidian stuff (I absolutely loved the much underappreciated Alpha Protocol) but nothing in Outer Worlds really stood out, it felt like a cheap Fallout clone, and Fallout's not exactly great these days either.

Maybe these style of games have just been left behind in a world where there are games like Witcher 3 or even the likes of the newer Assassin's Creed games with heavier RPG elements and far more believable characters, or against the rejuvenation of classic isometric RPGs where the likes of Larian are doing far more interesting things than Obsidian these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I liked outer worlds for the most part, but it definitely felt like a throwback to xbox360 era games. It had a good bit of reasonably funny banter in it, but It definitely wasn't made with a mega budget for polishing and refinining. I'll be interested to see where the next in the series goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't played The Outer Worlds so cannot possibly fairly comment on whether it's good or bad.

I can, however, say it will for me always be the game with the title that sounds confusingly like Outer Wilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I enjoyed Outer Worlds for the most part, but there was way too much dialogue in it, even for a Fallout style RPG. Still, I completed it which is more than I can say about any Fallout game, so that must be a good sign.

Combat is much better than the Fallout games too, it doesn’t have anything like VATS but I didn’t miss it either, and I could only ever enjoy Fallout games with a full-on VATS build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh definitely best to ignore matters of opinion from them i.e. how good something is looking, or how "hyped" they are. But hopefully the "info" they're providing turns out to be somewhat accurate; someone on reddit made a list of those nuggets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I was in Smyths at the weekend and I could see the section for PS4 and the tiny section for PS5 games. What I couldn't figure out was where the games for the new Xbox were. Do they all go under Xbox One banner? Are all the games that come out compatible now with the original Xbox One? It's a bit confusing.

I know it's not really an issue at the moment when most games coming out are cross generation but what happens in a year or two when the games are geared solely towards the current generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got Broken Sword 5 for 4.50 on latest psn sale. I only played 1 & 2 and this is a blast back to those, think i got a bargain at that price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Considering the difference between games on this and last generation is the pretty much the difference between the PC versions running at high and medium settings, I really don't see that support being dropped anytime soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Virtually all Xbox Series games work on Xbox One, but there are a few that don't. The Medium is next-gen exclusive AFAIK, and the box for that just says 'Xbox Series X'. But everything is under otherwise identical Xbox branding - it's just the little black box underneath the Xbox logo that notes whether it's cross-gen or next-gen exclusive.

Definitely confusing for those rare cases, although I'm generally a big fan of Microsoft's general approach of 'buy the game and it will work wherever'. We'll see how long it lasts, but definitely seems like it'll continue well into 2022 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

It's a good game, not as good as the series at its best in 1 and 2, but definitely a return to form after 3 and 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely loved the Artful Escape. It's just a brilliant experience and for me the perfect example to why Game Pass is great. I would never have bought it, never have given it a chance if it wasn't basically free for me on the day of launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, I still get confused by this.

Mad.

The company who were last to release ... should have changed the name of their product.

I'd say it hurts sales a great deal for both products.

Now, they are stuck, and any future games or DLC will have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Natalie Portman/Kiera Knightly of video games. I know which is which if I think for a few minutes, one is more well known but really the other is better, but I'll always confuse the two at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Outer Wilds was released first. Outer Worlds seem to exceed sales expectations so it doesn't look like it hurt it all.

Playing Outer Wilds at the moment. It's a fascinating game and it's got me really intrigued unlike the first time I tried it but I'm still trying to figure what I'm actually doing. Is there an actual end point to it?

Not only does Outer Wilds have a very clear endpoint, it's also among the most beautiful, thoughtful and satisfying conclusions in all of gaming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I have this on PC and plus game on Vita. I like point and click adventures but haven't played any in a while. Think they could be better if the character moved quicker. They take so long to move about the screen just to tell you it's nothing of interest.

Last one I played was Machinarium.

Outer Wilds devs said they saw the announcement of Outer Worlds and were a bit sickened. Then jokingly figured it might boost their search when people look for the big name game. I know b they had problem landing on a name so might have been such t with Outer Wilds.

I still have my PS2 copy of Max Payne 2, goddamn i loved that game. Pity it's not on psn, could definitely do with a Mac Payne Trilogy remaster.

Yeah, I'd be in the minority but I'd prefer this to the GTA trilogy meself.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd be in the minority but I'd prefer this to the GTA trilogy meself.

I'm hoping Microsoft somehow wrangle a free 60 FPS upgrade for Red Dead Redemption 1 on Series X with their backward compatibility drive. It's 4k already on Xbox One X, so 60 FPS should be easy for Series X.

They don't actually need to agree anything with the original publisher to do this, since they do it at the OS level + a gaggle of hard core performance engineers at Microsoft.

Still have it to play, but gonna wait and see what happens ...

Have you actually loaded it up on a One X? Honestly the visual boost alone was something, I didn't do a whole lot in it bar load it up out of curiosity and ride around for a bit but it was a nice experience even at a locked 30fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ARMA a game series that is hard to get into but gives a platform for customers to make their own game via modding has given birth to:

Warzone

PUBG

Tarkov

DAYZ

Hazard Zone

Hunt Showdown

Many many many more that I can only name those ones.

One day Bohemia will monetize the **** they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I done the same. It's a great game but I didn't want to go through a whole gameplay again, as in putting so many hours into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think Bohemia will stick to what they do best, making pretty janky games on a pretty janky engine, while also getting their staff arrested for spying on military bases.

Yep. Played a few hours. But going to wait and see if a 60 FPS comes along. Waiting for the next gen Witcher 3 upgrade before I jump into that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mark Brown's big game idea finally revealed in his latest GMTK. It's a neat idea that is both simple but would also possess lots of expansion room; was fascinating listening to his previous adventures in development. Especially as so much echos my own (bar the obsession with art assets tho)

• Advertisement

Bit of an odd-sounding question but does anyone know what game sales are like at the moment?

Outside of the big sports franchises, Nintendo and the odd PS exclusive are many games selling many units? Seems in my circle hardly anyone ever buys a game let alone at full price following release. Add in the Free to Play stuff and I don't know many who ever buys a game anymore.

Advertisement