Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oh I didn't think about the switch in the seat, dammit I shouldn't of been sitting on it while testing which wires turned off the PTO lol, no wounder it kept turning back on and acting like a normal switch when I reconnected, I'll test it again tomorrow when I'm not sitting on the seat, and hopefully just a button on the mudguard will work then ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What tractor is it?

If your tractor has a sensor in the seat then I would expect it would alert you if it switched off the PTO because you jumped out of the seat.

Mf 5711, yep when filling the tanker I'm out of the seat so I've already had to override the seat (in that tractor you flick it twice). Basically it acts in a different manner sitting on the seat against when overwritten which is all I care about.

Okay - I'll bow out here as I don't know the specifics of that machine. I hope whatever you do works - and get a good quality waterproof switch with at least IP66 protection. Genuine mudguard PTO switches should be available from Sparex/QTP etc.

Yeh in fairness all I want to do is to tap into part if the pto circuit that once broken the pto turns off, and doesn't restart the pto when unbroken, in which case its largely irrelevant if the button got wet or wires damaged or shorted because it can't tell the pto ever to turn back on.

• Advertisement

@Timmaay Just one final thought. You might find that this was an unspecified option on your machine. So, there might be a switch and mini harness available to connect this in to save you splicing into the wiring.

Before undertaking any cutting I would contact a mf dealer to find out if there is a conversion kit available and it's price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

If your PTO is overriding a safety switch by flicking a switch twice then I assume it is controlled by an ECU. You need to be more careful here as it may not be a traditional make/break type circuit but more like a computer input. You should meter out the switches for continuity and voltage in the various modes to figure out what's going before considering splicing into anything.

Does your PTO button stay on? Or just a push button.

And whatever you do make sure it fails off.

I was thinking about this again last night after I logged off. As emaherx says, this might be ECU controlled so you if you open circuit the PTO this might result in the ECU throwing up a PTO fault and potentially disabling the PTO fully. As the mudguard switch is not a specified option on your tractor, it might be that the ECU needs to be made aware of its existence in order to handle the open circuit correctly.

I think even more strongly now that your first port of call should be a dealer to see what is actually involved in making this alteration.

I've come up with a simple electric fence monitor.

1 simple signal light.

+ a photo diode.

+ a microcontroller with integrated LoRa radio

Some crude code stolen from a MySensors PIR Sensor, shows up in Home Assistant as a motion sensor, but it doesn't really matter its just a binary on off sensor which can report the electric fence pulses.

#define MY_DEBUG
    #define MY_RADIO_RFM95
    #define MY_DEBUG_VERBOSE_RFM95
    #define MY_RFM95_RST_PIN 4
    #define MY_RFM95_CS_PIN 8
    #define MY_RFM95_IRQ_PIN 7
    #define MY_RFM95_IRQ_NUM digitalPinToInterrupt(7)
    #define MY_RFM95_MODEM_CONFIGRUATION RFM95_BW125CR45SF128
    #define MY_RFM95_FREQUENCY (RFM95_868MHZ)

#define MY_NODE_ID 83

#include <MySensors.h>

uint32_t SLEEP_TIME = 120000; // Sleep time between reports (in milliseconds)
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR 3   // The digital input you attached your motion sensor.  (Only 2 and 3 generates interrupt!)
    #define CHILD_ID 1   // Id of the sensor child

// Initialize motion message
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

void setup()
    {
        pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR, INPUT);      // sets the motion sensor digital pin as input
    }

void presentation()
    {
        // Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
        sendSketchInfo("Electric Fence Sensor", "1.0");

// Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices)
        present(CHILD_ID, S_MOTION);
    }

void loop()
    {
        // Read digital motion value
        bool tripped = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR) == HIGH;

Serial.println(tripped);
        send(msg.set(tripped?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw

// Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor. Send update every two minute.
        sleep(digitalPinToInterrupt(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR), CHANGE, SLEEP_TIME);
    }

I still plan on making a sensor to read the line voltage but this should be adequate for the moment.

If fence voltage is above 3,000V pulses reported in Home Assistant.

below 3,000V no pulses.

The micro controller I used this time is an Adafruit LoRa32u4 II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was a couple of posters here a while ago discussing the idea of phone compatible meal bin quantity readers. Did ye ever get to putting the idea in practice?

What was that?

Just reading how full/ empty a bin is? or something for parlour batch feeders?

If its just how full a bin is, then the sensors I've been using for liquid levels would work just as well with meal as they are just distance sensors using sonar or Lidar.

Yourself and Timmaay were discussing something along those lines months back. Could even be a year ago.

This has popped up since.

https://youtu.be/ytjW8cwl4uI

Don't recall meal bins specifically but that dose sound like something we'd discuss alright.

Funny enough last night after I posted I was thinking it would want to use compressed air to keep it self clean.

Thanks for sharing, it works on the very same principle as my liquid level sensors with a distance sensor, it's a bit less science project looking though.

The problem with all of these IOT products on the market is they are all stand alone and require a small subscription each, either for the cloud service and/or IOT Sim/Sigfox subscription. They usually are reasonable enough if you have one or 2 devices, but costs would stack up quickly if you want a lot of sensors about doing different things, this is why I built my own LoRa network, for the subscription cost of one or 2 devices I can monitor the whole farm including out farms with potentially hundreds of sensors. There are commercial versions of everything I've built so far but I want to use one app where I can view everything going on with a quick glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Not sure if this is the correct thread but somene had a link to a reasonably priced electric weighing scales clock before. Anyone remember where it was from?

Was it this one from Amazon? £349GBP

Seen this one recently when searching. No use for me as not enough stock to make use of an EID reader, but combined scales and EID reader for £795GBP - any value in this for bigger setups?

Guide on building a platform:

Platform_Guide_1220.pdf (shopify.com)

I Bought this one, its similar but with rechargeable battery.

That's a handy platform build guide!

On EID, I was considering building something before but didn't want to be investing in the tags, but since we are being forced to do so now anyway, it might not be a bad idea. the scales I have has a serial port so getting data from it will be straight forward enough.

The T-Mech one was not available when I looked.

Gone from Amazon alright but available else where, link above is a pigs back offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

For what it’s worth, I rang this crowd up, around €750 installed with 1 years subscription and €99 a year subscription after that.

• Advertisement

Anyone planning to do their own no fence fencing?

No, not on my list yet anyway.......................... But I know a few farmers that have been trialling no fence fencing for decades 🤣

At that price, you could just consider adding little windows to the side of the silo, then you would get free daily updates direct to your eyes about silo levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

I’m going to look for a cheaper solution but the windows would want to call me over to give a look

This is my solution https://farmer-eds-shed.com/oil-water-level-monitor-and-distance-sensor/. I'm using it on water / fuel tanks but its the same thing.

For a silo I'd probably use Lidar rather than sonar for reliability over the bigger distance and have an air line for cleaning the sensor especially after filling. Free over WiFi or less than €10 a year with an IOT Sim for as many sensors as you need.

I would if I had cattle tbh, not really applicable to sheep here imo. Initially developed for goats, they use them, among other things, clearing saplings under power lines in difficult terrain.

I'm trying to sort out all of my snippets of code and configs floating around various folders of my laptop and organize them so they can easily be reused.

So I setup an account on Github. https://github.com/Farmer-Eds-Shed

Probably take a while to organize everything.

I'm adding weather forecasting to my Automations.

Might be useful to be sent alerts for specific weather conditions like wind/frost etc, but also to take actions like frost protection measures.

I'm also testing at the moment an automation to limit immersion heater usage when it is going to be sunny. I've started using the immersion at night on night rate electricity, but don't want to heat tank if the following day will be relatively clear skies as I have thermal solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

What are you using to get your water temps at the cylinder ?

I've a Sonoff th16 with the probe taped to the top but i dont think its ideal.

Cylinder has a space for the probe at the bottom (kingspan albian ultrasteel) but the bottom goes cold first so not much use.

Really need top,middle and bottom probes?

Advertisement