Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

If hospitalisations could just stay under 400 then surely they’d find it hard to uphold the restrictions. Unlikely they will though I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No, rising cases among unvaccinated . But it appears it's not cool to say that .

And increasing transmission then to vulnerable people who are getting less severe infections but still due to their vulnerability are needing hospitalisation , for short periods to get them over the hump , so to speak .

I think we are in for a rough winter in the health service as flu and other respiratory infections may be an issue as well this year , but apart from rolling out those boosters I don't see that extending restrictions will make much difference .

Maybe just asking at risk people to be careful until they get their booster ? And people still need to be careful and get tested if they have symptoms , and isolate until better ..that should be a given at this stage .

I can't believe that some people think it is ok at any stage not to be careful of transmitting any infectious disease , never mind Covid . Its basic really .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I presume those that want a further delay will want a full restoration of the PUP back up to 350.

• Advertisement

I can but wanted to hear from someone who actually knows what its like in Romania.

I suppose if the Romanians themselves dont care about the high death rate enough to accept a jab then no one else should care either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Cases are rising primarily because 1) new variants, specifically Delta, 2) because of reduced restrictions, 3) because vaccination does not sufficiently prevent infection and transmission, particularly with Delta, 4) seasonality of respiratory illness. 100% of people could be vaccinated and this would still be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Cases are higher because of the mass testing and willingness of Irish people to get tested. They love getting tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

that should be the way but nope us silly Paddy's can't be trusted and were too much of a burden on our health care system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

All the high risk people were still getting second jabs when you were calling to open up this summer and remember the people who got AZ waiting for their second jabs .

That bold part is just lies I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

While I am looking forward very much to restrictions hopefully being lifted on October 22nd, with rising cases, I do think it is somewhat morally wrong that many areas of the desk based public service are being forced to return to work for some days during October and more regularly in November and December, regardless of any necessity to do so, other than that Leo & Govt. have deemed it important for political reasons.

We are still in a pandemic, and while I'm going to the pub, and pretty much trying to get back to normal, forcing people that do not want to return to the office at this time, when there is zero business need, is just forcing people to mingle unnecessarily. I don't get it, and it presumably will filter into larger case numbers in due course.

I imagine there'll be a climbdown on this. They're already extremely tentative in offices I'm in (must distance, wear masks at desks, capacity of ONE in some meeting rooms etc) so I imagine rising cases will dampen the push to return.

I’d like to say I’m surprised that it looks like the 22nd is off but I’m not. So many people predicted it and were told no, no chance, all systems go but we are dealing with an advisory body who should have been let go 2/3 months ago, and a government terrified to make a decision. All while we have about 10 different current affairs shows baying for continued restrictions every week.

The narrative been spun is bizarre but manipulative. Blame the unvaxxed to create anger and division. As if 90% of the population getting angry at the unvaxxed is going to change their minds. LOL. NPHET and the media’s ploy in this has always been to blame a subset of society (teenagers, drinkers, foreigners, students, Pubs, now the unvaxxed) - all while paying thousands to advertise on the airwaves with messages of ‘solidarity’.

I’d also question the timing. I can imagine the budget may have been framed differently if we were looking at an indefinite delay to reopening.

All in all, I can’t genuinely see an end to masks, and don’t know when our media and public will allow late bars/nightclubs to open. It mightn’t affect some of the people above who think things are great cos they go can go to the UK and the US on their holiers, but we’re not done with this til every restriction is gone. I really hope I’m wrong and come next week someone on here will be quoting my post for stupidity, I’d love it tbh, but it doesn’t take a psychic to see what’s happening at the moment with the early media kites.

I can only speak for myself here. My life is almost back to normal. If the 22nd easing gets pushed back nothing will change for me. The thing about it though is that there is a psychological burden living in a country where you know that there are restrictions. The awfulness of checkpoints and 5k travel limits are gone and for that I'm delighted. I have no interest in going to a club at 11am and staying there until 4. Full capacity at Croke Park makes no difference to me.

Yet on a deeper level the awareness that there are curtailments, that masks must remain, that yellow signs and the words 'precautions' 'social distancing' continues to be a part of everyday discourse....well its stifling at times.

None of that is meant to dismiss the health related hardships of Covid and all the lives lost. The exhaustion and of those working in particularly impacted sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As if 90% of the population getting angry at the unvaxxed is going to change their minds

I often wonder at that accuracy that % of vaccinated stat, it may well be higher in Ireland

The population is estimated AFAIK, and we have an estimated population of circa 650,000 foreign nationals living in Ireland, or 12% of our population.

Staff shortages throughout low paid industries is reportedly blamed on workers returning home and not coming back to Ireland, so is our population actually significantly lower than we thought and thus the vaccination % rate higher?

Another thing to consider is that citizens of other EU countries are more vaccine hesitant than the Irish, so its likely the foreign born population here are disproportionately not vaccinated

But as you say, those who will get it, have got it got it by now and nothing will change their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Yet An Taoiseach said today there are no guarantees, on foot of inputs he received from Dr. Ronan Glynn.

But you keep up your spoofing about Dáil votes and aliens.

You are quite comical at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

So much ado about nothing then - panic over! The media can relax now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

We have something called an immune system to deal with these things. It's irrational to worry a lot about covid at this point or any other relatively mild respiratory illness unless you're actually in an at-risk group. Most people don't give a thought to the flu or the flu vaccine in a normal year, it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You might want to Google the word guarantee, or point me to where he said he thinks the 22nd will be affected, whatevers easiest.

I get it. If no one got tested, no one would be sick. How simple, why did no one think of this earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

If people can go to the pub they can go to the office. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Enough from the media & medics re ‘unvaccinated’ v vaccinated. Disgraceful rhetoric & complete lies. I keep hearing of fully vaccinated people sick & quite sick with Covid. It’s like they’re trying to find a target group to blame & use as an excuse for more draconian laws re vaccine passport.

How have Waterford & Carlow such high Covid incidence rates with the highest vaccination rates?

How has Ireland such high rates in comparison to our EU counterparts when the EU countries have less vaccination uptake? None of this is making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not a right or wrong scenario, it's being able to identity arguments to support a particular position. So far all that seems to be against Friday week is the “worrying” level of cases, this so-called wrong trajectory comment by Glynn. We have checked the other boxes in terms of October 22nd being good to go. But by just using this one metric it's not even moving the goal posts, it becomes a game of find the goal posts. 

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's really the hospital numbers and positivity rates that has them bothered. We also need to see if this is a trend and Martin is preparing himself to take the hit if they do decide to change the plan. It's still appalling communication though.

Anne O'Connor (HSE) on morning Ireland : " The 10% of the unvaccinated population are accounting for 50% of our admissions"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

50% now is it? Thats less than yesterday, good news!

And I thought over 92% of adults were vaccinated, so what 10% is she talking about? Can't be total population as that is only 74%, no?

Or are these numbers all just bullshit used to push a narrative?

I didn't see anything on admissions yesterday just the two thirds of ICU are unvaccinated.

She's talking admissions to hospital in general I believe

You'd have to ask her about the numbers, I just posted what she said this morning.

You are right to point out that its a relative risk reduction, but completely miss the implications of that.

We have 69 in ICU. 69% of whom are not vaccinated - 47 to 22. Now given 92% of the adult population are vaccinated, given the relative risk, with no vaccine you would expect us to currently have 587 people in ICU. And that is ignoring that the rate of vaccination is even higher among those most vulnerable. At peak in January we had 218 in ICU. The peak daily cases associated with the 218 peak was 6,500 in a population with no vaccine. To have 587 in ICU you would need the equivalent of 17,000 cases every day - eg. without the vaccine we would expect an additional 15,000 people to have been detected with availability of testing. Obviously this comes with assumptions and a margin of error, however it is clear, to have resulted in the relative ICU numbers we have now in vaccinated v unvaccinated, the vaccine has both significantly reduced both prevalence and severity by a huge amount.

We are slap bang in the middle of a huge wave, and you know, things are generally ok, because of the vaccines.

50% - hospital, 69% ICU. The 92% was rounded to 90%. How bad.

• Advertisement

but completely miss the implications of that.

I believe you are, because you're talking about a hypothetical alternate reality that does not exist.

The fact is that the base rate of infection and hospitalisation is going UP because of Delta and reduced restrictions. Vaccination is obviously somewhat protective against hospitalisation, but it is NOT adequately protective against infection and transmission, and as such, the "somewhat" in "somewhat protective against hospitalisation" becomes a big issue as it is spreading to everybody.

It is for this reason that we're at higher numbers for infection, hospitalisation, death, now than at this time last year, when zero people were vaccinated.

Focussing on vaccinated versus unvaccinated is a complete red herring, this is not the issue. If it was, we would expect hospitalisation to have scaled down proportionally with vaccination (i.e. it'd be ~75% lower than this point last year pre-vaccination), but it has not.

Advertisement