Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Listening to morning Ireland, there was great emphasis on the passports.

Is this all about extending the vaccine passports I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Little natural herd immunity was allowed build up during periods when it could have like over the last 2 summers.

I think I can answer my own question: the media. Who are the perhaps the two most extreme countries in the erstwhile free world when it comes to covid? Ireland and the US. And both countries have a horrendous media. In Ireland it's normal for people to be called out and vilified by the media for not being vaccinated. Callum Robinson, for example. Exact same thing is happening in the US. NBA players, for example.

In both countries public health persons are now celebrities. Fauci is on news programmes every day and even had time to make a film and write a book. In Ireland Tomás Ryan, Sam McConkey, Gabriel Scally, Tony Holohan, Ronan Glynn et al are all household names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

You're probably not far off the mark with this, although I still think they'll just go ahead as planned and fudge it with the caveat that it'll be reviewed.

From what I've read some countries are bringing in a rule that ties the percentage of ICU occupancy with the type of cert required. ie at the moment vaccinated, recovered or negative test is required to enter, but if ICU reaches x%, it reverts to vaccinated or recovered, if it increases again to y% it becomes vaccinated only. Whether its right or wrong, at least its a metric.

Despite the bleating about Denmark, Denmark, Denmark, lots of European countries are not fully back to normal yet and are keeping the requirement for a cert/masks during the winter. With 90% vaccination here, nearly everyone has one anyway so it doesn't much matter, or its a pointless exercise, depending on which way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So they are meeting next Tuesday to let us know if on Thursday the easing can go ahead? Why leave it so late ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You will be more than welcome to quote me, I helpfully made some very specific predictions about how I thought things would go. Here is one from August for example:

"I posted weeks/months ago that a plausible timeline was: Delay reopening until schools return and cases rise - delay again until November and then use the "remember last christmas" concern to keep restrictions - then surf the flu season wave into 2022.

People are crying that we are never happy but how can they not see that we are right bang on track for that timeline! They are going to give a "reopening plan" that doesn't take full effect for another 2 months, right at the end of October!

And if come the time it all gets pushed out again they will pretend none of this was said."

We continue to be right on track. I believe that rather than fully reopening on the 22nd, instead there will be a reopening with a bunch of caveats, things like vaccine passports remaining, certain attendance limits, social distancing in various areas etc etc. That is not what was promised but people will accept it and say, they aren't really restrictions, they don't affect us so whats the problem?" Then as we get into december the "remember last christmas" narrative aligned with rising cases and reports of struggling hospitals will see further restrictions discussed.

Those are my opinions and unlike others I will happily say so if they turn out to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fair points , I'd just say as someone with a direct connection to the states and someone who watches US Media regularly, it has to be said the Anti Vaccine Lobby and in particular media are extraordinarily and dare I say dangerously extreme, almost to the point of scary to be honest, their views go way beyond Vaccine hesitation and some quite astonishing and vile campaigns afoot.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't be, we were assured that the legislation for those passports was expiring and would not be extended.

Yes and its absolutely shocking. Next weekend is a bank holiday, people will have booked things in hospitality such as tables of more than 6 people which are now up in the air, so staff etc. are affected once again.

I know several pubs who have bands lined up, staff hired etc. on the basis of there being full capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

A nightclub owner was on Morning Ireland talking about the disruption that will be incurred if restrictions aren't lifted on 22nd.

Although I feel bad for him and his staff, he listed his schedule of nightly events at full capacity in Dublin, across multiple defined age cohorts, comprising thousands of people, during the start of the season for respiratory illness. He said 50% or 75% capacity, or antigen testing, was a no go for him.

If this is their firm position then I believe that restrictions can not be lifted now. We are already in a worse position than this time last year pre-vaccination, and plans such as this will sky rocket us into a far worse winter than last year.

It's unfortunate but it was pretty much the stupidest plan ever to maintain restrictions until winter and then plan a reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Please. Show me the evidence where I have "pissed all over anybody who questioned if the 22nd was actually legitimate". My comment above was in relation to posters talking about a lockdown. Level 5, all locked away in our homes, with everything shut. I stand by my comments that we will not be returning to that.

So again, I ask, show me where "I sneer and jibe constantly at people who try to make logical points". Because talking about a Level 5 lockdown again is far from logical.

because it will take a few more days to get all that data together so they can fudge it up. Data that will determine lives and livelihoods, peoples mental health and of course indisputable evidence that will cross all parties. You can now see why Donnelly extended the powers beyond October, it was always happening.

You'd think they'd leave this off the back of very low ratings etc. I think ad hoc protests at residences will be the least of their worries if they go in their perceived direction.

They aim to punish and really marginalize those who wont take a vaccine..I can see MM rubbing is hands, we'll keep them in the cold another winter and Xmas, they'll be begging us for jabs. What happened to leo.... "if not then, when?" Ireland want to win the race to 100% compliance, you can see it in their speeches, just a couple more percent folks and then the boosters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wouldn't trust this Government to stick to their promises. Leo is already promoting it for the winter..

Why ask us to imagine?

Why not nail your colours to the mast there and tell us what the 7 day moving average will be this time next week?

One days numbers in isolation is irrelevant and only used for cherry picking be the likes of yourself and the media.

As the joke goes, when Scandinavian's had the physical distance requirement of 1m lifted they were delighted, as they could return to their previous 5m

I agree with you however that also works on the opposing side, there are "doctors" who are also extreme in their views, views which cannot be questioned, data which will not be shared, policies which cannot be scrutinized, numbers which cannot be overlooked and most of all and most importantly, profiles and influence which simply cannot be matched. Some have given their agendas away on social media and others have discredited antigen tests as "snake oil". Both camps are cranks, both camps have damaged credibility as I see it. Remember huge campaigns are always exploited and hijacked by extreme views but advertising revenue must be obtained, grants must be won, Nobel prizes for medicine will be fantasized about and politicians always love to kiss and save the babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Ohh I totally agree, I've been asked for it and not asked for it. I guess what that means or illustrates could be debated for hours and hours.

Maybe some restaurants should advertise for those a bit nervous and say "we actually check" and other should have a "wink, wink" sign outside 😁😁

Meh, I dunno, they're damned if they do and potentially damned if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Looks like we are going down the US route and a new Enemy is going to be served up to us over the next week in the form of the unvaccinated.

Will be perfect fodder for the two minute hate to get people all frothy in the mouth.

I also heard that absolute clown, Adrian Cummins from Restaurant Association, talking utter nonsense, he had the absolute neck to say some staff may have to go back on PUP (Which is actually closed) , the very support this Tool has been incorrectly blaming for staff shortages for months, even before Restaurants fully opened, he makes my Blood Boil 😡

• Advertisement

Yes agreed and I saw the patronising Sanjay Guptha of CNN last night having his latest covid book being shamelessly plugged on CNN, there was a fascinating 3 hr appearance by him on the Joe Rogan show, worth a look .

Claire Byrne about to discuss with Philip Nolan

Philip Nolan , Rapidly evolving Situation, Demand for testing increasing and positivity rates in public health laboratories @ 10 %

Philip Nolan , increase in Middle age older patients in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Denmark and Norway have been ahead of Ireland in terms of vaccinations throughout the rollout, Sweden a little behind. The first two nations have been cautious whereas Sweden have made a shambles of the entire situation. A country that is double the Irish population (10m to5m) but much more rural (6.5 times our size, 450,000 sq km to 70,000 sq km) has 38% more deaths than us (1,462 per million to 1,059pm). Sweden has also had 3.2 times the death rate of Denmark (460pm) and 9.1 times that of Norway (161pm).

In terms of vaccines and re-opening Ireland, Norway and Denmark are handling it pretty well. The continued indoor vaccine certs and mask use are essential. We are almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is this the same Nolan that came up with the models which were a million miles off? If he told me the sky was blue I'd have to go outside and check

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

It's incredible that no matter what date is picked this charade starts 8 or 10 days before the selected date....!

Yep I agree. even Walter freeman Jackson was seen as a visionary.. and the Medics of the day ignored johns snow on the famous Cholera outbreak. The same medics refuted the claims that scurvy was a nutritional deficiency despite the clear evidence to back it up.. why?? because weak crews were expendable, compliant and easier to manage. History of full of doctors ignoring the truth for personal gain and political leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Even Philip Nolan doesn't understand what "90% reduction in rates" means. He says it's 90% protection as if it's a probability, amazing.

• Advertisement

Claire Byrne: 50% of hospitalisations are vacinated according to Ann O Connor (Head of Spin HSE) earlier this morning (unless I've heard that wrong)

Advertisement