Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah it does seem the main thing stopping mass adoption is that energy suppliers aren't talking to car manufacturers

I suppose we're starting to see some of that happening with some cars being offered with discounted energy plans from a certain supplier. They're generally not the best price though, so not exactly a steal

I like the explanation about balancing, how the charger senses frequency changes in the grid and either charges or discharges the car

I think one of the big sticking points is going to be the requirement to be plugged in at certain times. Energy providers are going to need certainty that they have enough capacity in a V2G system to handle any grid events. But car owners want the flexibility to go out in the evening.

It's probably something that's easier for fleet managers to operate since they've got more certainty about their scheduling

I think for homeowners the best bet is around V2H to store and use energy to avoid peak rates. Plus perhaps a FIT to sell electricity back to the grid during peak times

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I Take Misha For A Lap Of The Nürburgring And Discuss The Challenges Of EVs On Track!

Out of Spec Reviews

Great drive, decent chat. Amazing that only Tesla has a supercharger on site at the moment.

Has anyone ever gone around Modello? I guess J14 or Ionity aren't too far away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mondello has around 4 Type 2 AC chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Was planning on going EV early 2022 , test drove the Ioniq 5 yesterday and really really liked it , Waiting on the Kia EV6 to test drive before pulling the trigger but started to think and might have talked myself out of an EV till 23-24

Here are my thoughts, am I right with this logic ?

There is always a substantial depreciation hit in a new car , and you do not shop new if you cannot live with this but I Was thinking the chip shortage has to be driving current prices up , how much of the car value will disappear when the chip shortage solves itself.

Are we going to see an extra 4-5K erosion in the second hand value once that is sorted (current estimates is late 2023)?

Battery technology is getting better and cheaper every year , How much value will you lose with newer cars having cheaper batteries ?

So are you not only taking the standard depreciation each year in a car but getting hit with these two other factors , with that in mind would you be

a)Taking a huge (bigger than normal ) depreciation hit buying in 2022.

and

b)Are we going to see great value* in second hand market in 2024 ?

Post edited by Bandana boy on

• Advertisement

I doubt it. EV supply won't keep up with demand until 2025 at the very least. As more people see how convenient and easy to run EVs are, adoption is going to sky rocket. Until now EVs have held up their value pretty well. Also you gotta put that theoretical 4-5k you want to save by waiting two years against the money you will save by running an EV instead of an ICE. If you drive 20k km a year you would probably save most of that that on fuel costs in 2 years.

Post edited by garo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depreciation is typically 20% in year one, 10% following years. However when you go to sell supply and demand dictates price. Grants towards EVs are already being reduced. If you buy a newer model EV with a 50kW+ battery then it won't be obsolete on selling and it may hold value better than petrol. Buying a 1 year old EV is less depreciation risk although supply of EVs was seriously restricted for years due to various reasons, lack of batteries and suppliers limiting production and some making zero EVs kept supply low.

They reckon 70kWh will be the norm for battery size in bigger cars, while the cost of the battery is dropping, the cost of cars may go up with grants dropping and manufacturers pushing big SUV models. The Tesla model Y is not on sale yet, that will increase supply and competition.

If you do a commute of 100km+ per day it makes financial sense to switch to small EV asap, half price tolls will be taken away in a year or two. I am saving 80% compared to petrol fuel costs.

All that said public charging when beyond EV range is a disaster, only about 1/4 enough 50kW chargers at they are often busy, blocked or broken leading to 1+ hour queues at busy spots at peak times. Make sure you get an Ev that avoids public charging for 90% of your daily trips and that there are lots of chargers where you plan on going on longer trips. Northern Ireland is a total disaster with eniskillens only 50kw charger broken more than a year. Download plugshare app and filter by CCS and look at user reviews on the chargers. It's shocking. I kept a petrol car for longer trips. A classic car for longer trips is ideal.

Post edited by zg3409 on

"Mr Donaldson said Maxol was currently trialing rapid chargers – ranging from 80 to 175 kilowatts – from different manufacturers at a location in Northern Ireland with a view to begin rolling them out between 2023 and 2025."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Second hand Model 3 for example is only losing around 5% in the first year.

Grants and incentives have been in decline the last few years and can't see that being reversed.

As mentioned earlier you will be saving a a lot on running costs if you have home charging and do decent mileage.

Regarding the charging, Tesla have a big advantage here with their own dedicated and reliable network. Park, plug in and walk away. Less than 30seconds compared to faffing around with apps, chargers not working etc.. Depending on where you drive mightn't be much use to you. Most of the country will be covered by the spring (except South East, and North West).

The advice is just do it you won't regret it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is the maxol site with chargers in NI

Note the fees for grid connections in NI were much higher, if a site grid update is needed. There was talk of changing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Fastned released some financial data ref Q3 2021. Can we send this to ecars?

Over the course of Q3 2021, Fastned added 21 stations to its network, bringing the total to 164 charging stations in 5 countries.

A total of 78 additional ultra fast DC chargers were installed during the third quarter, as part of new station construction as well as upgrading existing stations, bringing the total number of chargers in the network to 622. The average number of chargers per station reached 3.8, vs. 3.5 by year-end 2020.

The whole ecars DC network in 3 months. This one seems quite interesting.

Utilisation during the third quarter of 2021 was 7.9% vs. 7.2% the previous year

One of the reasons for low utilization in spite of doubling the activity is the increase in number of chargers per station. Anyway it seems they are happy enough with 2h a day utilization per charger. I need to look at ecars-stats but I'm pretty sure that is way more for ecars.

Can it make it a sales pitch to ESB? Sell the network to someone competent?

ESB will look at the 7.9% utilisation and say sure we have more than enough on this island.

Slightly off topic, but can you imagine the response to something like this here...

"Landscaping equipment will be electric in California soon, as a new bill moves to ban gas-powered lawn equipment in the state — including lawn mowers and leaf blowers — in an effort to limit air pollution. Governor Gavin Newsom (D) signed a bill on Saturday that will stop sales of gas-powered equipment with small off-road engines by January 1, 2024. That prohibition could also come sooner, if the California Air Resources Board (CARB) says such a law is “feasible.”

It’s not only landscaping equipment that is part of the law. Portable gas-powered generators will need to be zero-emission by 2028, according to the Los Angeles Times. Again, CARB has final say in that end date. The law requires all newly sold small-motor equipment primarily used for landscaping to be zero-emission — essentially to be battery-operated or plug-in — and includes any engine that produces less than 25 gross horsepower, such as lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators, and pumps.

It does not apply to on-road motor vehicles, off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, or model airplanes, cars or boats — yet.

The EPA says a new gas powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution in 1 hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for 1 hour. Using a gas-powered leaf blower for one hour causes the same amount of pollution to be emitted into the air as does a 2017 Toyota Camry driving from Los Angeles to Denver, which spans roughly 1,100 miles. "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

California cannot be compared to either any other US state or any other country when it comes to their overt sensitivity to emissions (fair dues to them though)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Found this podcast recently and I have to say it's very interesting. Listening to the episode about long term energy storage at the moment

Spoiler alert: There's no technology gaps, we just need to retrofit lots of our existing hydro to make them pumped hydro and build more pumped hydro. Use batteries as short term storage and pumped hydro and interconnectors as long term storage

The only thing needed is the drive to actually build this stuff

PS - This is more of a renewables thing, but there's no "random renewables thoughs" thread in that forum and I'm not starting one 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Have you ever seen 10 EVs charging at the same time and the same "hub"?

Who said 10 is plenty?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's only 9 cars on the left. What's the Audi at the end?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Or their lack of electricity. It's the largest importer of electricity in the country, and has some significant power supply issues.

It has been observed that before the State mandatorily pushes everyone to electrics for things that they need on a daily basis to work and live (eg cars, lawnscaping things etc), they need to have a reliable electricity infrastructure first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

So how does it work for most if you have a company car EV?

does company cover cost of home charger?

how do you measure the home charger electricity consumption to claim back from company?

(sorry if covered already but could not find answer in forum).

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

No set rules AFAIK, it is between you and your employer come to any arrangement that suits.

I charge in work at no personal cost. Don't have a home charger yet but intend to get one as there is now a grant for employees who drive an EV.

I'll be paying for any installation costs over the grant because don't want any hassle such as measuring kWh and dealing with claims. The bulk of charging will be done in work. Any power used at home will be pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I have a zappi which displays kWh used per week/month/year. Submit a photo of this regularly to show electricity usage

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Used Car Prices are very high at the moment, so 20% Depreciation in year 1 isn't the reality for desirable cars (Like the Ioniq 5) at the moment.

Chip shortage is not the main blocker to people buying EVs at the moment (EcoSystem and Range Fear is).

Batteries will always continue to improve - this will never not be the case, and it is not unique to 2021/2022.

In 2 years time you could probably drum up a few more reasons as to why you shouldn't buy now. You could also probably look back and say why you maybe should have bought a 221.

Its apples and nuts stuff really. I'd bet large sums of money that Good EVs will hold their value far more than ICE Cars in the next 3-5 years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

re the used EV's holding their value far better than ICE's...

a guy on Boards sold his Model 3 Performance a few weeks ago, it was 20 months old and he only lost about €8k from the initial purchase price...

So got to own a M3P for 20 months, and only cost him €400pm in depreciation.

Texas residents should probably sit this one out 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks like our Ioniq 28 has only lost about 7 or 8 K in 5 years. ( Depend if you paid unkel price or not lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The SEAI grant will disappear and instantly your car will be worth more….

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

we don’t have mountains in Ireland. We have hills. So the head height for hydro is really low. Add that to the ecological disaster of flooding some natural beauty and we have little options

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Touché, though in fairness, it's much cheaper to switch to electrical here and it's more reliable. For starters, the cost per kWh is much lower from the major power companies than from CA's PG&E (Folks who used those fly-by-night-entities are on their own), about 50% less, and they have made my solar install much more affordable than what I'd have paid in California. We even generate more electricity from renewable sources than California does (About 1million mWh more, in June, according to the Energy Information Administration). Texas may be oil country, but just because we don't shove renewables in folks' faces doesn't mean we're not heavily into it.

It comes down to money and practicality. It's not as if we don't have battery-powered lawnmowers here just because it's Texas. It's convenient and fairly cheap to run, so we use them.

Advertisement