Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

There is a trend with some publications that no matter how bad something Irish is, you add a few extra stars regardless. I used to long have my suspicions, but I was told by someone who used to work for a certain long running Irish music magazine that they pretty much have this as an unwritten rule for Irish music/film reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, most of the critical praise for Rose Plays Julie came from outside Ireland. The film had a very positive response in the US and UK - I saw it at the Dublin film fest last year (remember those pre lockdown days!) and even then it had positive international buzz, which is pretty rare for an Irish film!

It’s not the type of film I necessarily get excited about - a tad dry and somber for my tastes. I do think it’s a handsomely, well crafted film though that very much achieves what it’s setting out to do - the consequences of a horrible misdeed belatedly coming to the surface. I definitely don’t think the good reviews stand out as being insincere or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CaitCat

I recoded Venom when it was on TV recently and really enjoyed it. Wasn't sure at first but it got better as it went on. Some very funny bits and good action. Will definitely go see the new one when it comes out. I thought Tom Hardy made the film, without him it would have been rubbish.

Apparently there were 40 minutes of scenes deleted so it would be good to see the extended cut.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I quite often get the impression that for every person likely to overhype something because it's Irish there's as many people willing to write it off for the same reason.

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)

Having been reading a lot of books about Rome lately decided to find this and give it a look. Its interesting to watch something from the 60's that covers the same period that Gladiator covers, with Commodus becoming Emperor. It hadn't registered watching that that his rise to power was basically the beginning of the end of the Empire.

This is a real Epic - 3 hours long, HUGE Set pieces, thousands of extras. I really wish such things were still doable in the movie business, but alas we only get one or two lines of extras these days and the rest are CGI people. Those massive crowds of real people add so much to a production and the feeling of realism in a film. The set they build of Rome is quite incredible really. It feels like it was filmed on location. Actually they built the set of Rome in Madrid using 1100 workers taking 7 months!

Christopher Plumber plays Commodus, you wouldn't recognise him at all, amazing he was acting in great roles right up until his 90's. Alex Guinneas plays his father who did not want to pass on the title of Caeser, knowing Commodus was a bad egg. Sophia Loren plays Commodus' sister and the love interest of Livius the leader of the Roman army. All great actors, although Guinneas stands out as the natural one, some of the other acting is a little forced as was the trend back then.

There is one quite incredible scene where Commodus and Livius go to to toe in the countryside in 2 horse chariots trying to kill each other at top speed on tight country roads. Horses are vaulting obstacles on the roads while the guys are whipping each other. They even start racing the through a forrest. Total madness, and how it was filmed I have no idea. "No horses were harmed in this film" certainly did not appear anywhere in the end credits.

All in all its an interesting tale to understand why Rome indeed fell apart if you are into history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭monkeyactive

Hoosiers

A kind of charming old sports film made in 1986, set in the american rural midwest in the 50's. One of the first "struggling team , can this coach with skeletons in his closet face his own demons and get these boys to come together to prove everyone wrong" type of films. Its very watchable , the sports action basketball scenes are a bit lacking given what we are used to consuming from these types of film but all in all an enjoyable although very by the numbers sports drama classic. Gene Hackman stars.

Stillwater

Great Drama/ kind of thriller. Matt Damon stars. Great Juxtaposition of Damons American Character against the European City in which it all plays out. Kept my attention all the way through. 8/10

The Mauritanian

True story about a Mauritanian national being held illegally for years in Guantanamo bay. Jodie Foster stars as the pro Bono defense attorney assigned to his case. Some of the ways in which the detainees are depicted as being treated make for hard watching. Good film , 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Wake in Fright.

An Australian film from the 70s about a rural schoolteacher who wants to get back to Sydney for the Christmas holidays and has to stop off in a desert town. He ends up spending the weekend there and things slowly fall apart.

It's quite a harrowing film, all about self-destruction and being worn down by society. The main actor is quite good but the standout role for me was Donald Pleasance.

The film captures its subject quite well and is quite brutal and realistic. It is quite uncomfortable, almost painful, to watch at times. Unfortunately, there is a drawn out and visceral scene that follows a kangaroo hunt which is quite upsetting.

Post edited by HalloweenJack on

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I watched that a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it.

Bac Nord / The Stronghold - 2020

Decent French cop drama thriller that explores the crime-ridden lawless HLM zones of Marseille and the inherent failings of a policing system. Inspired by a true story. Worth a watch (go subtitles and not dubbed - mentioning this as dubbed versions are out there).

6.6 / 10

Candyman - 2021

Upfront I'll say that I'm not a fan of Peele going into existing IP's as he'd already made a complete balls of "The Twilight Zone" despite that having huge potential for a successful reboot, but not in his hands. He's not the director here but it's the crap script which has fallen foul of his heavy hand that dominates proceedings. The character development is terrible, it's marred by brick-to-the-face subtly levels, the third act is a complete off-the-rails mess and there is absolutely no terror is what was a horror movie franchise. Another one down the drain.

4.3 / 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Halloween (2018)

This annoyed me. Halloween (78) is one of my favourite ever movies and imo the best horror ever made so reboots/remakes/reimaginings in the majority leave me cold.

It basically ignores everything that happened from the end of Halloween (78) and is a direct sequel to that with Michael in an institution for the last 40 years. Lo and behold, 39 years and 364 days to the date a couple of investigative journalists pay him a visit and bring with them the mask he wore when he went on the rampage nearly 40 years previously.

Michael "feels" the mask in his presence and manages to escape captivity and go on another rampage.

The cast are annoying, the plot is wafer thin, the kills are terribly uninspired and the ending is fcuking stupid.

What annoyed me most was the knowing Easter eggs to fans of the franchise. I'm OK with low key nods (eg the trick or treaters that are wearing the masks that feature in part 3) to source material but flat out plagiarising iconic scenes (eg the end of 78 when Michael is lying on the grass then disappears) is imo a lame attempt at showing how down they are with the franchise.

All in all, a terrible movie.

Old Henry is a pretty decent western. Which brings me back to The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. And then to The Sisters Brothers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Red Rocket - I expected something special from Sean Baker's follow-up to The Flordia Project, but it still exceeded expectations. One of those films where you'd happily let it run another hour just to spend more time with these characters. Baker's unique sense of compassion for and interest in America's forgotten communities is all here, but this is even funnier than his past two films at the same time - a rambling, brilliant character study with witty, amusing moments in almost every scene alongside some delightful comic setpieces. Simon Rex plays the lead character Mikey - a washed-up adult film actor who returns to his estranged wife's home in Texas to basically scab a roof over his head for as long as he can - and it's the best performance I've seen in forever. The character is both completely despicable and strangely charming, and Rex walks that impossibly fine line with a performance that's always at 100%. That performance (with some great support) could've sustained a film. But it's some of Baker's brilliant directorial choices - such as subtly shifting camera focus or perspective to other characters during some of Mikey's moments of delusional bravado - that really elevates this to greatness. It also boasts the funniest screen nudity since Toni Erdmann.

Titane - this year's Palme D'or film probably won't quite have the same crossover success as its predecessor Parasite: there were enough walkouts from the cinema to suggest some of the more extreme content here won't be for everyone 😅 But the Cannes jury did well to properly recognise Julia Ducournau's provocative body horror oddity: it only builds on the promise she showed with Raw a few years back. It's hard to go into plot details without ruining some of its many weird & wonderful & grotesque surprises, but throughout sexual, gender and genre norms are tossed aside frequently. The first 30 minutes - featuring a variety of brutal acts of violence - is certainly quite the ride, even with blood largely replaced by an altogether more unexpected substance. But the extremely non-traditional family drama that emerges from the horrific acts is well worth the journey - I wouldn't quite go as far as to describe it as 'sweet', but it has some sort of beating heart for sure.

The Souvenir Part II - 'Part II' is often the label slapped on sequels with an air of pretension about them, but Joanna Hogg's superb follow-up really earns it: this is very much the second part of a single film. So it goes without saying you should watch the first before you get around to this. It's well worth it: the first was good, but this really concludes Julie's (Honor Swinton Byrne) story in a fascinating manner. The coming-of-age story interrupted by tragedy continues apace, but what's particularly striking is how this gradually transforms into a film about the nature of semi-autobiographical storytelling and the filmmaking process. The final act in particular is a doozy, with Hogg carefully deploying some smart formal tricks as she guides the story towards the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

OLD

Biggest pile of sh*te ive seen in a long long time. There's not one redeeming feature about the whole film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Halloween'

In 1978 John Carpenter managed to get together some friends, some equipment, the daughter of a famous acting duo, a relatively big name in horror and around $320.000 to make his small movie about a crazed, deranged, killer that stalked teenagers on October 30th. Beginning life as "The Babysitter Murders', upon the suggestion of producer Irwin Yablans, the title was sensibly changed to the more simple and effective 'Halloween' and it was released to slew of nasty reviews that almost universally considered it a piece of trash. Even so, the movie proved to be a success with audiences and in a very quick turn around, the original sentiments of the critics also became a subject of review in which a number of them revised their initial position and reversed their original assessment. Some of them going so far as to even offer such high praise as to make comparisons with Hitchcock.

Since then, of course, 'Halloween' has gone on to become one of the most highly regarded horror movies ever made and, while certainly not the first "slasher" movie, it became responsible for the rake of imitators that formed the body of that sub genre throughout the 80's. The likes of Freddie and Jason, for better or worse, would never have seen the light of day if it wasn't for the impact Michael Myers had on young cinema goers in the late 70's.

But unlike those latter movies, and indeed its own sequels, Carpenter's movie is almost bloodless and has a body count that would make some Disney movies laugh. It's a steady, considered, film that's never in a rush to get anywhere and is content to build its tension gradually. In fact, most of the movie's action takes place in the last 10 minutes where the unlikely - for the time - heroine, Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis), confronts the killer that's been knocking off her friends. For most of the story Myers is happy enough to stand around looking menacing in his workman's overalls and Captain Kirk mask and spends the first third of the film casually driving around Haddonfield in a Ford LTD County Squire!

But in a way that Freddie and Jason could never manage, Myers remains a spooky nutcase. He never speaks, he doesn't run and he has no visible humanity to him. Unlike Freddie, who never shuts up and Jason who is essentially a ridiculous zombie in later 'Friday the 13th' sequels (although to be fair this criticism can also be levelled at Michael Myers as the Halloween series progresses). Carpenter has referred to him as "the shape" although that moniker is never used in the movie and he's merely meant to be an embodiment of an unstoppable evil. However, this is where Myers receives his greatest strength and also his greatest weakness. Myers is relentless in his pursuit and has no compunction to negotiate, but he also appears to possess supernatural strength and abilities. His reluctance to succumb to number of gunshot wounds has to be either down to a magical ability to absorb damage or Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasence) is just a woeful shot. Personally, I prefer the second "explanation", because I'm not at all fond of the first. But none of that really matters for the first and second instalments of the franchise and Myers unwillingness to die is left suitably vague.

It remains unfortunate, though, that 'Halloween' couldn't have remained a one off picture because it really works as a stand alone story and as Carpenter himself said, "there was no more story to tell" even if, as I write this, there are currently 10 Michael Myers movies made (including remakes) and another 2 in various production stages, which is utterly remarkable for such an anaemic yarn where everything that needed to be said was done so in the first 90 minutes.

'Halloween' went on to make a very tidy profit resulting in it being one of the most financially successful independent films ever made. However, little of that money saw the insides of the pockets of either John Carpenter, Deborah Hill or anyone else who worked on it. This led to Carpenter and much of his team making the choice to get together again in 1981 and make the sequel, 'Halloween II' as they figured that it was inevitably going to be done so why shouldn't they get some money out of it this time? Carpenter was determined to make 'Halloween II' the last word in Michael Myers but as we've seen, he failed to make that a reality. He has since made statements regarding his loathing of the sequel(s), while still holding his original movie close to his heart and in his later years he's made quite a considerable amount of money from the various remakes and reboots.

In the end, though, the original 'Halloween' is well worth the time of any film fan although I'm sure that a lot of younger horror fans will be very disappointed when they sit down to it and will truly wonder what all the fuss is about. They may well see it as a tired, redundant, and overly restraint version of what came after, replete with all the cliches that became a staple of the sub genre it helped spawn. But one should remember that tedious tropes like sex leading to death and the virginal "final girl" weren't a thing in horror movies at the time and they were also far from the film makers minds, despite what some subsequent critical analysis might have to say. Carpenter and his crew have gone through great pains to refute the claims that 'Halloween' was some sort of morality play when all he and co-writer Hill had in mind were ordinary teenagers being stalked by an extraordinary killer. It therefore tends to get lumped in with many other serial killer movies despite the fact that it's more than a step up in quality over the likes of 'Friday the 13th', 'Prom Night', or 'Happy Birthday to Me'.

8.5/10

'Halloween II'

An inevitable, albeit, uneasy follow up to John Carpenter's 1978 movie, 'Halloween II' was offered to the director in the wake of the original's spectacular success. But it wasn't something that either Carpenter or Deborah Hill were interested in, except as a way to make some money off of their initial creation. Even so, they agreed and sat down, with copious amounts of beer, to write a script that saw a direct continuation of the story which takes place on the same night and sees Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) taken to Haddonfield Memorial Hospital to be treated for the injuries that she sustained in her fight with escaped lunatic Michael Myers, while Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasence) searches the town with the local police looking for his former patient.

With a bigger budget and film crew, 'Halloween II' ups the ante with a larger kill count and boasts much better special effects in an attempt to compete with the likes of 'Friday the 13th' which had been made in wake of the triumph of Carpenter's original film and over the years audiences and critics have refined their opinions about it although it's always had its fans. But it was, perhaps, forever going to be the case that the sequel to one of the most successful horror films ever made was ultimately doomed to live in its shadow, and while it's certainly not as good as the first movie, it's creditable enough and in its own right not a bad little horror flick. Although it must be said that there is absolutely nothing new here, even for 1981, and Carpenter and Hill's story creaks with the strain of the struggle it took to get it onto the page. It's telling, however, that Carpenter refused to take on director responsibilities this time around and instead handed off that particular role to journeyman, Rick Rosenthal. But, as with the "did he or didn't he" situation re: Steven Spielberg and Tobe Hooper on 'Poltergeist', it's unclear whether Carpenter had more of a role in directing the film than would first appear although he unconvincingly maintains that he had no influence in that area at all. There are certainly flashes of his touch here and there and combined with Dean Cundey's instantly familiar cinematography, it thoroughly feels like a John Carpenter movie at times...as much as that would stoke the man's ire, so loathing of the final outcome as he is.

But, personally, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 'Halloween II' and despite some obvious shortcomings, I consider it to be easily the best of the Michael Myers Halloween sequels, even if that can come across as damning with faint praise as none of them are anything to write home about by all accounts. But it's reasonably entertaining in what it sets out to do, has some gruesomely effective kills, and Haddonfield's curiously sparse and strangely underpopulated hospital makes for quite a creepy setting. What's probably the greatest boon about 'Halloween II', though, is the fact that Carpenter managed to get most of his cast and crew back which helps it no end and goes a long way to making it feel like a genuine continuation of October 30th 1978. Curtis and Pleasence obviously have the most screen time, but Nancy Stephens and Charles Cyphers (as Marion Chambers and Sheriff Leigh Brackett) also turn up to do their bit. Even Nancy Loomis, as Annie Brackett, makes an appearance in a three second cameo on a ambulance stretcher. Absent, though, is Nick Castle who played Myers in 'Halloween', though his replacement (Dick Warlock) does an adequate job as the masked killer.

'Halloween II' is an altogether nastier film than its predecessor, as well, with a few squirm inducing moments sprinkled throughout. An unfortunate kid is brought to Haddonfield Memorial because some particularly sociopathic creep had put razor blades in the treats he received, mirroring some of the urban legends that were spread around at the time. There's also some hypodermic horribleness that will have the trypanophobic reaching for the remote, and a victim meets a particularly hot end courtesy of a therapy bath that can heat to unrealistically high temperatures.

Perhaps the biggest downfall of the movie, however, is the ill-conceived plot twist that comes in the its final third and it's been said by Carpenter that this was done out of sheer desperation, early in the morning, and with far too much beer involved, which I can well believe. But even though it's a curious development and wholly unnecessary, it doesn't sink the film which manages to flow on pretty seamlessly and feel like an organic progression from the original story.

Unfairly, 'Halloween II' was largely savaged by the critics when it was released to cinemas in October 1981 and shared the fate that most sequels did at the time in that they were usually written off instantly and without much consideration. But there were some critics who compared it favourably to the other "slasher" fare that was on offer in the early 80's and over the succeeding years the film has found its audience, with many people considering it to be an essential extension to the original. There are some, like myself, that consider 'Halloween' and 'Halloween II' to be the only entries in the Michael Myers story and dismiss everything else that came after. Although Myers has seen a lease of new life with the lazily titled and lacklustre 'Halloween', a reboot from 2018 which saw Jamie Lee Curtis reprise her role as an OAP Laurie Strode and focuses on her resumed battle with her former nemesis, while simultaneously eliminating every sequel from 'Halloween II' onwards.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Doctor Sleep

For those who don't know it's somewhat of a sequel to The Shining. Not really sure how I missed it when it came out but damn if I didn't really enjoy it. Has it's own story but still has links with the original with some of the scenes being played out in the original hotel.

7/10

'Halloween III Season of the Witch'

After having a torrid experience on the set of 'Halloween II' it's not surprising, at all, that both John Carpenter and Deborah Hill were reluctant to even consider doing a second sequel to their 1978 movie. But Carpenter, who's on record calling 'Halloween II' an "abomination", eventually came around to the idea provided the story he and Hill were to pen had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Michael Myers which the producers, Irwin Yablans and Moustapha Akkad, agreed to. In the end, both Carpenter and Hill, also distanced themselves from writing duties and Nigel Neale, the British screenwriter who created Quatermass for the BBC in the 1960's, was brought in to handle the script, which ended up going through numerous re-writes much to veteran screenwriter's displeasure. It was also Carpenter's idea that if the Halloween series were to continue, it would be as an self contained story with each entry being different to the last. Certainly an interesting idea and a shame that it never took off.

Carpenter also wanted nothing to do with directorial duties either and instead offered up the idea that his mate, Tommy Lee Wallace (production designer and co-editor on the original 'Halloween'), take up the mantle. Wallace also had a hand in revising the script, too, and was very uncomfortable about the title which he felt would end up being a bane to the whole production. Suggesting that it should merely be called 'Season of the Witch' (which, presumably, would have never happened as that clashed with George Romero's 1973 film of the same name), he was overruled by the producers and financial backers and had to be content with it as a sub-title. It's clear that his understanding of the potential future problems with the titling of the film was to the forefront of his mind and he envisaged that a Halloween movie without Michael Myers was going to be met with some backlash from fans. But he salved his conscience, somewhat, with the idea that the III in the title could refer to the three Halloween masks that featured in the picture and that really the sub-title was the actual title of the movie. Although this was more down to his inability to change matters more than anything else as the people fronting the money weren't ever going to consider taking Halloween off of the title. A situation therefore occurred that meant a Halloween sequel without Halloween in the title would see its financial backing withdrawn. But a film without the killer associated with that title was destined to be be rejected by most of the fans of I and II. All of this resulted in 'Halloween III Season of the Witch' being doomed to be the bastard red headed stepchild of the series.

When 'Halloween III Season of the Witch' was released in 1982, a year after 'Halloween II', it was met with utter destain and a critical and audience slaughtering that made the reception of 'Halloween II' look mild in comparison. As Wallace had feared, fans of the first two films mostly hated it by the fact that they felt cheated with the absence of the killer they were waiting to see and critics felt that the story was confusing and unnecessarily obscure. In fairness, the story of an Irish toymaker who wants to kill millions of American kids and thus return Halloween to its pagan roots (somehow), was pretty out there it has to be said. It was the type of kitsch, B movie, fare that was never really going to catch on with growing fans of the slasher sub-genre who's, let's be honest, unsophisticated tastes were never going to be catered for by such. Plus, up against the competition of 'Poltergeist' which had the cache afforded to it by Spielberg's name being attached and 'Friday the 13th Part III' which dragged out its killer Jason for another round of teen murder, a Halloween movie without Michael Myers was always just going to be an "also ran".

By the time it was withdrawn from cinemas, though, the movie managed to accrue around $14 million on a budget of about $2.5 which wasn't at all bad with all things considered. But it certainly wasn't the profit margin that the producers were expecting and 'Halloween III Season of the Witch' effectively killed the franchise stone dead. At least until Moustapha Akkad ended up with the rights entirely and resurrected Michael Myers for the stale and woefully derivative 'Halloween IV The Return of Michael Myers'.

But that's not where the story of the film ends, as over the decades there's been a constant stream of fans of the movie who have been quite appreciative of its batshit crazy plot and its sheer "what the hell is going on" elements. It has gone on to become a well loved cult movie and one that eventually found its place as a stand alone tale. In fact there's the distinct possibility that if the film had been released as just 'Season of the Witch', or some other title bereft of the Halloween header, it may have been better received in 1982 and perhaps even have a bigger following today. It's certainly well loved, albeit in a kinda meta way with an understanding that, yes, the film is utter nonsense. But what ludicrously enjoyable nonsense all the same.

There are also a lot of John Carpenter fans who recognised his touches in the story which play heavily on an anti-capitalist, anti-Corporate, anti-advertising angle. Much in the way that his later film 'They Live' would. This is clearly displayed in the appallingly catchy jingle that advertises the Silver Shamrock masks and the big event associated with them that plays constantly throughout the movie. It's at once completely irritating yet absolutely brilliant at the same time and goes a long way to help bury the film in people's memories. But it's a sharp little dig at that marketing realm where the television is literally destroying the minds of the people watching it. Carpenter's anti-Conservatism is reflected in his view of small town America, too, with the robotic nature of Santa Mira, the town where Cochran's Silver Shamrock factory is located and where he holds his power over a largely fawning and unquestioning townsfolk. It's also no accident that the name of the town is taken from 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. It's such little snippets like that that make 'Halloween III Season of the Witch' an enjoyably snarky stab at the burgeoning worries about Reagan's America.

The film also boasts an impressive electronic score by both Carpenter Alan Howarth which is very different to the previous movies and wisely so. But like the soundtrack to 'Halloween' and 'Halloween II' it remains an essential ingredient, although there's nothing in there that's as instantly memorable as Carpenter's double-four-time theme music from 'Halloween', apart from the 'London Bridge if Falling Down' inspired Silver Shamrock advertisement jingle. However, everything about it suits the film perfectly. Coinciding with a familiar Carpenteresque soundtrack, the camera duties are again handled by long time collaborator Dean Cundey who's distinctive style does much to make this feel like a John Carpenter movie, even though it's difficult to say just how much input Carpenter actually had as he was busy with 'The Thing' for much of is production time.

'Halloween III Season of the Witch' is a real marmite movie and probably always will be, despite the fact that it now has a respectable gang of fans that are willing to accept its oddities in order to enjoy it. And if one removes it from the series it's unfortunate to belong to it remains very entertaining, even if the basic requirement for that entertainment is simply to go where it takes you.

6/10

Wild Indian

A very engrossing drama tracking the lives of two men who grew up on an Indian reservation who share a secret about a crime they committed when they were boys. Its a great character study and cliché free portrait of a disenfranchised traumatized people. Jesse Eisenberg is in it.....for some reason.

8/10

'Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers'

After the critics and fans got together for the crucifixion of 'Halloween III Season of the Witch' in 1982, the Halloween franchise seemed to be as dead as its villain was in 'Halloween II'. But just like the "deaths" of Michael Myers this proved to be false and Myers found himself miraculously brought back to life, Jason style, for another entry in the troubled and messy timeline of Halloween.

This only became possible because John Carpenter and everyone involved with the original threw their hands in the air, said "sod it" and sold off all rights to Moustapha Akkad who was eager to try an capitalise on the slasher craze of the 1980's. But, by the time the rights has passed to Akkad and the fourth film in the franchise was a goer, Freddie (the late comer) had seen himself in three movies, with a fourth on the way and Jason (Michael's main rival) had six movies under his belt and another one nearly in the can. So Moustapha was falling behind and needed to make up some ground. The way he was going to do this was to revive the killer at the centre of 'Halloween I' and 'Halloween II' and, to be fair, he was correct that fans of those films (who refused anything to do with the third film) would be more welcoming to that idea than they would be to another Halloween film sans Myers.

In this film, which obviously eliminates 'Halloween III Season of the Witch', Michael Myers is re-introduced to us a comatose patient ten years after his immolation in Haddonfield Memorial Hospital at the hands of Dr. Loomis, who is later seen laughably sporting mild latex injury appliances even though he was involved in the same incredibly violent explosion that absolutely nobody could have survived. Myers eventually comes to life and, in a move that mirrors the ill-conceived twist in 'Halloween II', he finds out that he has a niece in the shape of Laurie Strode's daughter, Jamie (Danielle Harris), and he's sparked off again to go on a familial killing spree to which Loomis and Jamie's step sister, Rachel (Ellie Cornell), are compelled to combat...and that is, essentially, all that this movie has got.

You could say that that's all it needs and in the hands of better film makers, that may be true. But 'Halloween 4' is hamstrung by the fact that it is really just a pale retread of number one and it lacks the visual umph that that movie possessed. Without any Carpenter touches or even that of cinematographer Dean Cundey, the film comes across as a dull 80's TV movie despite its best efforts to replicate what made the first film so good. 'Halloween 4' tramps along in a lumbering way and is never more than passable fare in its best moments, but it too often just hovers unsatisfyingly between mediocre and bad.

But, perhaps, the worst element of the film (spoilers warning) is the ending, which is ludicrous, hilarious and disastrous all at once, because out of nowhere Myers' Niece, Jamie, suddenly decides to kill her stepmother, Darlene (Karen Alston), with a pair of scissors in a murderous action that's reminiscent of her uncle's murder of his sister in the opening of the first film. This ending scene is so forced and ham fisted that it comes off as truly laughable and utterly impossible to forgive, even in a dumb horror movie, because it's such a cynical move on behalf of the producers to simply keep their options open no matter how absurd the events unfolding on the screen are. As such the final scene of the movie destroys any forgiving feelings the viewer may have had toward it in one astonishing move.

'Halloween 4' is, effectively, just a reboot of the Halloween movie series long before that phrase became commonplace among cinema goers. It tries to revitalise the series to a competitive level with its rivals but fails to inject the adrenaline that's needed and, ultimately, comes off as a disappointingly lazy copy that lacks everything that the original John Carpenter film had.

2/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Interesting to read such a strongly negative response to the ending of 4 there. It's not a good film (tbh I feel this way about most of the sequels and more so the further along you go), but as far as things go it is a good idea for an ending and works as a (depressing) endpoint for the trauma and terror that jamie has been subjected to for the whole film. The execution needed to be better for it to really land and not feel like it's some sort of pseudo-magical gubbins but that's a problem I think the entire film series has from about part 2 onwards.

• Advertisement

The problem with it, though, is that it largely comes out of nowhere. Sure, there's a touch of hands between Jamie and Michael, but that's just not enough and I wholeheartedly agree that the "pseudo-magical gubbins" does not work at all. I can certainly see where they were trying to come from and what they were trying to do, but it needed a much better story teller to bring that conclusion out in a logical state. We understand that the kid has been subjected to trauma and terror throughout the story and that she's tried to reach out to her uncle, but that's not enough to justify the about face at the end. Why she would try to do what she does makes no real sense.

The thing is, they didn't even really bother following up the angle in 5, which I watched last night. It's sort of quietly dropped, signifying that the producers weren't entirely comfortable with the ending of 4 themselves and just went with the cheapest option of dragging Mikey out again instead of following on with Jamie as a killer which seemed to be where they were thinking of going.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I do wonder if there might have been a notion of doing a Friday 13th: A New Beginning with the next film when 4 was in production only to drop it after the film was released...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rewatched Halloween a few years ago and the crazy thing is just how restrained it is, so still. There are barely any kills and in terms of the genre positively tame compared with what came later regards the violence. Myers doesn't actually appear for ages, while the camera just lurks around those empty suburban spaces, constantly asking the audience if someone's "there". Given how much fame Carpenter acquired for his more gorey masterwork, Halloween sits as such a quiet, contradictory beast.

Been watching Midnight Mass and had been wondering if Mike Flanagan is an inheritor to the throne of Master of Horror. The guy just gets tension and atmosphere better than most.

'Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers'

After number 4 did ok with audiences, an unavoidable sequel was greenlit by Moustapha Akkad and "the shape" was dusted off and thrust onto the big screen again to go about another bit of murder on another Halloween night. It's one year later on from the events in the previous movie and after awakening from a coma, Michael Myers resumes his mission to kill his niece, Jamie Lloyd, who hasn't spoken a word since her run in with uncle and has been confined to the Haddonfield Children's Clinic.

Besides Myers, all of the major characters from the fourth movie return to reprise their roles, including Danielle Harris as Jamie Lloyd, Donald Pleasence as Dr. Sam Loomis and Ellie Cornell as Rachel Carruthers. This helped with continuation but it was clear at this point Pleasence was just going through the motions and is rather tired of it all. In fact, out of all of the actors on the screen, it's young Danielle Harris that acts her little heart out and is the most enjoyable to watch. Although she was very good in 'Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers' as well, it has to be said. She's a cute kid and that helps the audience get behind her and want to see her get through her ordeal.

But it's not her, or anyone else's, acting abilities that drag the movie down. Instead it's the dull, plodding, story with an especially humdrum middle section involving insipid teens having a Halloween party on a farm that kills off this entry. Whereas the fourth film tried to model itself on John Carpenter's original classic and had a few mildly interesting moments, the fifth just waddles along going from moment to moment and not saying anything much. It's also saddled with an extremely poor effort at subplotting by introducing a shadowy figure who's never even partially explained and only acts as a gimmicky hook to try and lure audiences into the next movie.

'Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers' is just indicative of the sheer redundancy of the series as a whole. A series that had long outlived its sell-by date and was now simply rotting on the shelf. And in that respect it shared the same problem that its rivals did. The Friday and Elm Street movies had descended into turgid run-of-the-mill affairs too, although the latter had the benefit of being able to go anywhere and do anything because Freddy Krueger resided in teenager's dreams. The Friday movies, on the other hand, had fallen into self parody by 1989 and just didn't seem to care any more; even the most forgiving fans had had a hard time with 'Friday the 13th Part VIII Jason Takes Manhattan'.

But the Halloween movies had proven themselves to be the worst of the big three slashers by 1989 with its confused, empty, plotting and lazy adherence to the lamest of horror cliches. Myers stalking useless teens, while being a staple of the sub-genre, is just immensely boring by this stage and the movie also lumps in a telepathic angle, too, as Jamie develops a hokey psychic "connection" to Michael that never comes of as anything but an extremely poor plot device.

The fifth Halloween movie is just incredibly unenjoyable and it's the most tedious effort in the series thus far where nothing of interest happens and events just trundle by like aimless tumble weed. The direction is flat, the acting mostly ranges from annoying to by-the-numbers, and it looks like cheap TV movie, just like No.4 did. There's some attempt at shock value by the unexpected killing off of a character, some curious blarney involving runic symbols and the aforementioned shadowy figure seems to be an effort to arouse a bit of mystery. But it's all so very turgid and the entire movie simply feels like a cliffhanger set up for 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers'.

2/10

'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers'

The sixth movie in the, by now, wholly unimaginative slasher series, 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers' would take six years to make its appearance. This was undoubtedly down to the poor reception in 1989 of 'Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers' by both fans and critics alike, but the decision to put the series into hiatus didn't do anything to help the diminishing quality of the output. When it was put before test audiences in early 1995, the poor feedback forced the producers to undertake numerous reshoots in an effort to garner a better reaction from future audiences. But when it was released in September of that year it landed with a thud to scathing reviews and fan disinterest.

In 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers' the masked killer returns yet again to slice up some disposable people on October 31th and this time he has to face off against the extended Strode family, an ageing Dr. Loomis and Tommy Doyle (the kid that Laurie Strode babysat in the first movie) as he hunts down Jamie Lloyd's newborn baby. Also involved are the Cult of Thorn which, as it transpires, had been responsible for Michael Myers all along and through dark magic has been able to imbue him with immortality in order to carry out his deeds.

It comes as no surprise that 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers' rivals 'Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers' and 'Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers' as the worst of the series. It's a terrible picture that never manages to excite or raise the pulse. Plus the truly awful cult subplot really shows just how devoid of ideas the producers were. The efforts to explain Myers destroys any remotely interesting aspects that he had left. But, to be honest, it was really just the final culmination of haphazard explanatory efforts that had been in the mix since 'Halloween II'. Where the likes of Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees have simple, or even simplistic, revenge motivations for their hacking and slashing, Michael Myers originally worked because he had none, apparently. The introduction of familial targeting and silly mystical cultish nonsense actually took away the "why?" from the character and thus reduced, instead of enhancing, him. The sister angle would have been forgivable if 'Halloween II' had been the final word on Michael Myers as John Carpenter had wished. But the follow up motives for his murderous ways became worse and worse diluting any interest in the series' masked killer.

As well as the wretched storyline, the acting of most involved is pretty atrocious too. Future Ant-Man Paul Rudd turns up for his second feature appearance and is as lifeless as one of Myers' victims. He mouths his lines in a zombie-like fashion and sucks all the life out of every scene that he's in. Poor Donald Pleasence just does not care any more and is turning up to collect a check, which was to be his last as he died in February 1995. Marianne Hagan is just dull and the caterpillar eyebrowed kid that plays her son grates terribly. Veterans Mitch Ryan as Dr. Terence Wynn and Kim Darby as Debra Strode do their best with what they've got but they don't have much.

Also, like the previous two entries before it, the visuals are terribly mediocre and indicative of average 90's horror output, lifeless, timid and disappointing. There's some effort to include the odd gory scene and, once again, the story attempts a surprise kill. But it's all far too little to sustain the interest for its 90 minute runtime. Alan Howarth's score tries to up the tempo of Carpenter's original with a different take, but it still never feels like anything but a very pale imitation, and all in all the whole film feels like a very limp closing to the extremely unsatisfactory "Thorn trilogy", so called because of its half baked cult subplot.

I suppose that some credit should be given to the producers for, at least, trying to do something different with the series and the tired sub-genre in general. But what they came up with ended up misfiring so, so, badly. Maybe things would have been more successful if the "Thorn trilogy" had been developed as its own trio of films without Michael Myers in it, which may have allowed a better focus to develop. As it stands it ends up feeling like a desperate add on to a series that was flailing about looking for a reason to exist.

It is, perhaps, most saddening that 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers' was to be dedicated to great Donald Pleasence who's distinguished career, unfortunately, had to end on such a terribly low note.

1/10

Mmmm. It appeared that that's what they were originally going for and it was done away with in between films.

Yeah, it's practically bloodless. I think there's only about 4 kills in the entire film. It's funny, 'Halloween' is less scary than 'Silence of the Lambs' and less bloody than 'Jaws', neither of which are considered to be horror movies.

As to his use of the screen, you spend a lot of the time searching for Myers and I think that Carpenter and Cundey use the 2.35:1 framing very well. There are a number of shots where myers is just there in the background and you might only catch it momentarily. It goes a long way to the creation of the tension in the film. Something that the later movies lacked badly.

The music is well used, too, and is as essential to the creation of that tension. But I'd be critical of Carpenter's use of musical stings here and there too, when no music would have been the better option. There's a scene where Laurie Strode has to put keys under the door mat of the Myers' house cos her dad, who's in real estate, is trying to flog it. Myers is in his old house behind the front door as Laurie hides the keys and moves into frame to the notes of Carpenter's synthesiser. But it sounds kinda silly as we've already heard his breathing.

I also wonder, though, if Carpenter had had the money would 'Halloween' have been a bloodier movie, if not necessarily a better one. As we get to see later with John Carpenter films, more money didn't equate better product.

Hello 'Escape from L.A.'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Halloween is the first film covered in the new season of The Movies That Made Us on Netflix. I didn't realise the lack of blood. As they were saying, they wanted it to just be hinted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Carpenter was a victim of his own efficiency, never really getting the budget he wanted to bring some films to reality; his work made the money stretch far - and when he did have the cash, the films were famous flops; The Thing got a very healthy budget, location shooting n all and it bombed hard. More than bombed, the film was reviled at the time in the popular press. I can see why eventually he just said F it, and left Hollywood to play Xbox and make music.

I've been watching / rewatching loads of Carpenter stuff to follow along with the Blank Check series (the Halloween episode with Alex Ross Perry is excellent, btw!) and it has only affirmed my recent belief that Prince of Darkness is his masterpiece. The Thing comes damn close, though ;)

Also watched Halloween 3 for the first time, like many others apparently, after it popped up on Netflix. A flawed if often quite creepy film (with a delightfully mixed bag of Irish accents). Goes some properly demented places in its final act. But I would absolutely say it was a much better idea for carrying on the series than endless Myers sequels - an anthology series about stories set on / around Halloween. Shame it failed, because it's probably secretly the smartest and most forward-thinking of horror franchise sequels. Still don't think the 'Season of the Witch' subtitle has much to do with it's actual content, mind you.

• Advertisement

Against my better judgement I watched Infinite on Prime; a movie that got unceremoniously yanked from cinemas during CoVid, only to appear on Paramount+ - and now Amazon Prime. It's probably just as well for all involved cos it was a stinker. Worse than that actually, it was boring.

Commited every sin of exposition and world building you could imagine, wrapped around a plot of Important Pronouns, with Mark Wahlberg doing his one expression of bewilderment throughout. The action was half àssed, the pacing a sequence of rooms within which the characters spouted the plot. At least Chiwetel Ejiofor seemed to be having a good time, chewing the scenery like a starving man.

Advertisement