Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

In fairness I took it that we were ALL spouting sxxxe :) you, me and him included !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Previously there was reason to wait. Every country was struggling, finding new treatments and techniques, there was some faint hope that it could be managed, and anyway vaccines were coming. That's all gone now. Everyone else is moving on, we've rolled out our vaccines. Game over.

Everyone else moved on months ago, not now. We rolled out most of our vaccines months ago as well of course

I don't subscribe the belief that the government are aiming to keep us all restricted indefinitely, because that too has no logical basis, no purpose.

Protecting the health service was the reason in the past, has this changed??

25% of our ICU beds are occupied with Covid patients

I'm struggling to understand the theory behind those who think it wasn't safe to reopen last July but it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you a source for these claims?

The two thirds figure related to ICU admissions afaik.

There is also confusion between unvaccinated and partially vaccinated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would literally LOVE to know what people "not behaving themselves" means.Do they think people are licking one another, or deliberately coughing all over one another or something?Because otherwise they are simply talking about regular normal human behaviour and the narrative that this is somehow wrong and abnormal, is, in itself, wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

You could watch Six One replay and Colm Henry re 40% stat. Varadkar is on record in the Dáil re unvaccinated comments.

Here is an article in the Independent where they quote Varadkar talking up booster programmes & essentially blaming the unvaccinated for any delayed reopening.

Varadkar pushes for ‘very extensive booster programme’ as he said if everyone was fully vaccinated there would be 25 people in ICU

Here is the Fine Gael tweet re Covid cert extension:

• Advertisement

25% Covid patients in ICU ....that takes a lot more than 25% ICU staff away from general ICU .

Or do you think staff can just walz between the 2 units ? Or that Covid care is the same as general ICU care ...

Now who's spouting ....., Fintan?

And sorry , who's saying it's not safe to open up ?

Edit . I see you are saying that was in July .

Yes , we had 50% vaccinated and many vulnerable over 60s and high risk people who got AZ were only getting their second jabs . Some on here can tell you they did not get theirs till August , so it wasn't safe .

It is blindingly obvious this week what could have happened if we had opened up then , except to those most stuck in their antirestriction rhetoric that they can't move on and admit that .

Our situation is so different now , but unfortunately we still have vulnerable unvaccinated people getting sick as well as a smaller amount of breakthrough infections in vulnerable vaccinated .

I still think we should be opening up now , but with Covid certs , masks in certain situations .

The two thirds comment relates to ICU admissions.

Where is the source for your claim that a government figure said that two thirds of hospital admissions for covid were unvaccinated.

Because it isnt in what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Are they implying that we use a Europe-wide vaccine cert for internal use?

Is that why they seem intent on keeping it running?

How long exactly do they intend on keeping this thing operating.

That tweet opens quite a few worrying questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I would too, but they are in their 70s and discussion with them about it is largely pointless because they are both so hysterical about COVID thanks to RTE that I can't get a sensible word in edgeways.

I didn’t state it was hospital admissions from a few days ago. I stated that a two thirds to one third figure was being used as a vaccinated v unvaccinated stat. It was also used by Norma Foley this morning on Claire Byrne - Byrne did point out it was ICU figures she was quoting.

What’s your point? Do you disagree with mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

So Leo and FG are pushing Niac to recommend booster shots for all the vaccinated ....if the unvaccinated are being blamed for driving ICU, this approach doesn't make sense ...I still maintain that the 70 % ICU unvacinated figure is from April the first ....there is alot of twisting words , misquoting ....people running with headlines ...I would love to survey the 69 people in ICU at the moment ...without figures we are blind ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's 2 different stats. 1 is overall admissions to hospital and the other is the percentage of those in ICU so two thirds of those in ICU are unvaccinated.

Dr Henry's comments are available online,

"He said this has been underlined by the figures concerning hospital admissions. Over 40% of those hospitalised are unvaccinated but they only constitute about 8% of the adult population."

There seems to be some sort of confusion in general as to the breakdown, I'm not sure why, maybe too many people commenting publicly and it's confusing themselves and others, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Have we started doing vaccinations in bingo halls, golf courses, supermarkets, bookies, churches, and so forth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You misunderstood

Seamus is saying its now safe to open despite 25% of ICU occupied with Covid patients

That's with 70 in ICU and 400 in hospital

Lets take a look at the figures on July 17th 2021.

22 in ICU and 78 in hospital

At that time many here argued with me that it was not safe to relax measures at the time in line with other EU countries, but those same people are saying its now safe at the present time to reopen on Friday.

So has the penny finally dropped? Because if its safe now, it was safe months ago

Yes , we had 50% vaccinated and many vulnerable over 60s and high risk people who got AZ were only getting their second jabs . Some on here can tell you they did not get theirs till August , so it wasn't safe .

It is blindingly obvious this week what could have happened if we had opened up then , except to those most stuck in their antirestriction rhetoric that they can't move on and admit that .

Our situation is so different now , but unfortunately we still have vulnerable unvaccinated people getting sick as well as a smaller amount of breakthrough infections in vulnerable vaccinated .

I still think we should be opening up now , but with Covid certs , masks in certain situations .

Knowing we had superior vaccination rates to our EU neighbours last Summer, what exactly would have happended?

Are we still of the belief Irish Covid was more dangerous?

PS: The late vaccine outliers on boards is very suspect. Vulnerable not vaccinated until August, pro lockdowners Id imagine

Its implicit you were talking about hospital admissions.

"Colm Henry gave the figure of 40% of hospital admissions being unvaccinated, not the 50% of yesterday or the two thirds figure from a few days ago."

So where is the source for the two thirds figure for hospital admissions from a few days ago?

Two thirds of ICU admissions are unvaccinated. Vaccines mitigate severe cases so that people who would otherwise have ended up in ICU can make it through with standard hospital care.

ICU capacity is one of the key stats the government etc are tracking when it comes to managing restrictions. So yes if unvaccinated are ending up in ICU at a much higher rate than vaxxed then I amnt going to say blame but they could be a driver in restrictions being maintained.

Most people got vaccinated so we’d get back to normal. If we’re not going to get back to normal then a lot including myself won’t bother with a 3rd jab.

I don’t see us getting anywhere near to 90% with a 3rd jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Open up everything and remove restricitons on the 22nd bar vaccine certs. Have them for nightclubs, hospitality, stadiums, gigs etc. And actually enforce it through regular checks. As well as it softening the blow of the reopening it'll also drive more stragglers to get vaccinated. Maybe even bring in mandates in certain sectors too.

Boosters for over ~50s

Its not perfect, will ruffle some feathers on both sides of the extremes on this topic but we have to move forward in a somewhat sustainable way. But we can't keep kicking the can down the road, weve run out of bullets.

No sorry I did at first , but read my edited post if you will . I have been saying it for weeks now .

But nobody seems to read a post to its end ( myself included on that last one !)

That’s the way the media have delivered these stats, implicitly - without relevant information, circumstances surrounding the hospital figures, hospital acquired cases, etc. Perhaps contact the HSE if you want a clearer picture because going on media reports today, there isn’t one. Even the ICU stat - is that since April or currently? Do you know? They were also stating 50% unvaccinated hospitalised this morning & 40% this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

They'll be blaming those who aren't going to get the booster shot in a few weeks time. Sick of the all the put on the green jersey sh1te tbh. People have by and large done what they asked just open it up and let life continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I agree, I said it yesterday on this thread and the relaxations thread that personally I think it's the one thing that's right infront of the government, its not ideal, far from it like you say it will ruffle some feathers, you can't please everyone.

But what it would do is allow the remaining sectors to reopen while government save face by coming to what would be seen as some sort of middle ground compromise.

Now I personally don't think there's a need for them in large outdoor stadiums like the route Scotland have taken, its outdoor, I don't see the point really.

Every vaccinated person will get the booster ... especially if access to pints are threatened

Iv'e absolutely zero intention of getting a 3rd jab. What then next spring more jabs followed by more certs and paperwork to go on holiday or go to the pub? Fcuk that. I'm done with it all now.

But unless you are highrisk why would you get a third jab or booster anyway ?

I must have missed something here ..why are people talking about boosters for all ? I never heard that from anywhere today and its wholly unnecessary .

Only highrisk people should be getting boosters .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah I think they'll have to open to the vaccinated.

And convert yourself to a Parriah in the eyes of the media.... I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Boosters will be hard to get the same level of take up as the initial vaccine campaign. The same novelty, energy and drive isn't there and people will see it less of a necessity, depending on what age groups its given out too. Older groups will be more keen but younger ones in their teens to 40s many will be less bothered.

Vaccine passes being implemented will mean you'll get a high take up again. It's crude but true.

You are just doubling down on the confusion when you use two thirds without qualification and compare it to another figure, which is why I queried it.

Why arent we allowed to mention that two thirds of current icu patients are unvaccinated? Why are you pushing angle that only the hospital admission figure should be used?

This was 4 days ago not April. If you have information to contradict this fire away:

"There were 74 patients with the virus in ICUs, a 20% increase on the same time last week. Mr Reid said that of that figure, 67% were unvaccinated, while another 3% had had one jab."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40717662.html

Exactly. People over 70 and those who are at risk from health conditions by all means and leave it open to anyone else who wants one. Let the rest of us just get on with life and leave us be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m sure you like most people will be coerced into it, then it’s on to the children.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement