Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Maid. Kinda depressing but still watchable nonetheless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've 2 eps left of Maid and I'm genuinely surprised by how much its drawn me in. At the start I just thought it was fine and it even seemed kind of low stakes, especially considering it starts with a woman leaving an abusive relationship, but at some point over the 8 eps I've watched its just done a number on me. There's some really interesting writing choices, like every time I expect it to fall into one of the tropes associated with the subject matter it sidesteps it and does something else and while it's not particularly difficult to watch compared to other things with similar themes, it still packs some emotional punches. I'm most shocked by Andie MacDowell, she can actually act, who knew?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I watched Chessnut Man dubbed rather than subtitles and found it almost perfect because of a couple dodgy accents but the main characters were all matched up very well.

Excellent series all the same with a chilling conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Nowhere to run - up on netflix, some vintage van damme early 90s cheese ; but was slightly disappointed as I thought it was gonna be 'hard target'. Still worth a go tho

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's seriously addictive, it crams a lot into last couple episodes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Completely agree, I feel like the middle third of the season is as compelling as any previous Netflix original. Did Qualley's performance grow on you in the end?

Margot Robbie and partner's Lucky Chap production company are also well and truly on my radar off the back of this and Promising Young Woman.

Yeah, Lucky Chap's first production was I, Tonya. They did Birds of Prey too, which I enjoyed. Their next 3 projects are Greta Gerwig's Barbie film, an adaptation of My Year of Rest and Relaxation directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, and then a Tank Girl reboot. Quite an interesting slate of films.

And yeah, Qualley's performance has grown on me. What bothered me at the start was she seemed a bit blank and unexpressive at times, but I did allow for the story that was being told that it could possibly be a choice she was making and I think as the episodes went on it seems like that was the case. Again you kind of expect a story like this to go a certain way and for there to be certain big dramatic or emotional moments, the awards season clips kind of thing, but everything about Maid feels like it's very grounded in reality, and Qualley's performance I think fits very well with that. I think if you compare it to something like Mare of Easttown which felt like a complete vanity project for Kate Winslet, and her performance reflected that, then Maid and Qualley (and everyone else) feels like the complete opposite end of the scale.

All that said.... I've never seen Qualley in anything else, so maybe her acting is like that all the time and I'm talking complete shite. Who knows.

This is a really fantastic show. Simple but incredibly compelling drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Squid Game is ok but probably a bit tame if you are a fan of Battle Royale from about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

You Seasons 3 - A dangerously charming, intensely obsessive young man goes to extreme measures to insert himself into the lives of those he is transfixed by.

Little Things Seasons 4 - A cohabiting couple in their 20s navigate the ups and downs of work, modern-day relationships and finding themselves in contemporary Mumba

What Happens in Vegas (2008) After a night of heavy partying in Vegas, two strangers wake up to realize, much to their displeasure, that they've gotten married

Spider-Man 3 (2007) - The seemingly invincible Spider-Man goes up against an all-new crop of villains in the third installment of the blockbuster adventure series

Gone - In search of a better life as a boxer, Ani leaves his family in Nigeria for New York. After years of turmoil, he returns to find his old life changed.

The Forgotten Battle (Dutch) - During WWII's crucial Battle of the Scheldt, the lives of a glider pilot, a Nazi soldier and a reluctant Resistance recruit tragically intersect

My Name Season 1 (Korean) Following her father's murder, a revenge-driven woman puts her trust in a powerful crime boss -- and enters the police force under his direction..

The Trip (Norwegian) - Eager to end their marriage by murdering each other, a husband and wife head to a remote cabin -- but soon find themselves facing an even bigger threat.

The Four of Us (German) - After their partner swap experiment takes a turn, four friends arrive at a remote beach hut to face the fallout and purge themselves of deeper truths

Added

• Advertisement

Misfit: The Series Season 1 (Dutch) - The Misfits are in for a wild year as they prepare a school musical. But when the strict new headmaster bans the show, it's up to Julia to save the day.

Luce - A disturbing discovery upends the seemingly idyllic home life of an all-star student-athlete and his adoptive parents.

Last Christmas - Despite working as an elf, Kate doesn't believe in the magic of Christmas. Everything changes when she meets Tom, who brings faith back into her life

added

I really liked Last Christmas. The trailer completely ruined the "twist" so the first time I watched it I was kind of distracted looking for all the obvious things, but I watched it again at home last year and enjoyed it a lot more. Emilia Clarke is very charming in the lead and Henry Golding should 100% be James Bond. Maybe keep it for nearer Christmas but it's definitely a new seasonal fave for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Did The Rain end or was it cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If you refer to the Danish TV series, I seem to recall that Season 3 was meant to be the last.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The third series was apparently released last year, which was the final one.

Just finished the Chestnut man. Superb. 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brilliant wasn't it, I am going to give a show called deadwind a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

You should watch the bridge next if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Really enjoyed National Treasure. Robbie Coltrane stars a TV personality who gets accused of historical sex abuse. The acting is fantastic. He's utterly dislikeable and completely charismatic at the same time. So is Julie Walters who is also brilliant as the wife. It's only 4 episodes and kept me engrossed right to the ending.

• Advertisement

I actually watched around five episodes of deadwind a while back and then left it.

It wasn't that I wasn't impressed with it, I was, but whether it was the pace of it or what I'm not sure but I ended up dropping it after around five episodes.

I still probably would recommend it and maybe you'll have more patience than me and it'll be worth it in the end. 👍

yes I knew the third season was the last but I wanted to know if it had been written to be last and that the story was finished and got cancelled m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm really glad loads of people have enjoyed The Chestnut Man. Just a thoroughly enjoyable show.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

I can’t find it anywhere.... is it still on Netflix OR prime??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

It was on Netflix previously. They may have removed it

I’m pretty sure The Bridge is on the BBC iPlayer.

and it is indeed excellent.

Don’t confuse it with the US remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Yes, The Tunnel. Wasn't bad either to be fair.

• Advertisement

Estocolmo (Spanish) - At a party, charming Él and reluctant Ella agree to a nighttime ramble through the city and embark on a journey that changes the arc of their lives.

Our Nature - Shot over two years, this documentary delves into the earth's natural wonders -- from big cats prowling the tall grass to eels lurking in the reef.

Punk in London - Relive the good, the bad and the anarchic of Britain's punk scene with this raw documentary featuring performances by X-Ray Spex, the Clash and more.

Gold Stars: The Story of the FIFA World Cup Tournaments - A collection of archival footage celebrates the soccer icons behind the most memorable matches in the decades-long history of the FIFA World Cup.

Added

Advertisement