Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be aware sms phishing boi users

Options
  • 14-10-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How they know im boi user?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there

Thanks for sharing this with us today

This is indeed a fraudulent text message. Please delete this text. Rest assured our security team have been managing this. We appreciate your caution and vigilance in spotting this. Fraudster's send these messages at random so the messages will go to both BOI customer's and non BOI customer's. They don't actually know who they are sending the messages to but they are trying to get BOI customer's to click on this link and disclose banking information. BOI will never send a link like this via text or email asking customer's to click and disclose information

Hope this helps

Declan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My partner got similar. A text beginning 'Hi. BoI here again' rang the alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. This is a fraudulent message and is not being issued by Bank of Ireland. The Bank will never ask our customers to click on a link or disclose account or password information in full. Please delete the text and do not click on the link. Thanks Jen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I contacted support on twitter and gave them the mobile number used ( +353873284161 ) and described what the message contained and they told me it is genuine. Perhaps it was spoofed. Anyway, we will contact the support line when she gets home from work.

If it turns out to be real though, would the Bank use 'Hi' to start a message to a customer?

Advertisement