Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eeeek holy white space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

So... did Vanilla push an update that broke the mods that were made to the site? Looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Look whatever about the absolute painfully ugly, cumbersome and unfunctional dogs dinner that the site has been turned into thanks to the changeover, the main thing is moving to vanilla will help to avoid outages going forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It does seem to have broken the Boardsie enhancement suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Blinded by the white!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What's with the floating bookmarks thing on mobile? It's bloody awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Boards.ie: Niamh Might be no harm to edit the sticky on Boards Twitter page Niamh.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

Another chapter in the sh*tshow that has been the migration to Vanilla. Vanilla must be paying boards rather than the other way round, only justification for deciding to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Whatever update was made that brought down the site and we were told was going to be rolled back hasn't worked as the list along the top is now covered by the banner and the bookmarks list are way too spaced out

• Advertisement

It's hilarious - there's a notification at the top of the page that no one can see since the update broke the header (on desktop anyway)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058213186/what-happened-to-the-site-this-evening/p1?new=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Has this menu been available for long? The problem with so many complaints (often the same ones repeated ad nauseum by the same posters) on this thread is that it buries news of any useful changes.

Its new and so much better - just needs a slight delay on the hover trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mobile site functions grand now. No real issues with it.

But the desktop site is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

Badly needed. Now if we can get the dropdown for followed forums and a "mark forum read" button we'll be getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Inviere

Great to see floating menu functionality making an appearance (it's only been three and a half months, patience people!) But my god the spacing on the desktop site is abysmal since yesterday. Are any of these updates tested before being pushed live? The whole site has been an alpha/beta test since the summer it feels.

They pushed an update that actually managed to make things worse. Well done lads. Perhaps you should invest in a sandpit environment so you can see what the changes will look like before deploying them @Boards.ie: Odhran

I don't see that menu at all. I have that stupid Categories list on the right hand side of the page that leaves massive amounts of whitespace underneath.

A lot of the css / extensions hid the top bar because it was difficult to style differently.

Still can't believe image quality is so downgraded from the original. Server space is so unbelievably cheap.. eg. $5/month/50gb on DigitalOcean.

that must be it. I turned off the boardsie enhancement suite and I can see that menu now. The boardsie top menu though is much better as it includes followed forums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Good to see the dropdown at the top of the page is working, though we desperately need a "My Forums" view that works like the old site. Navigation is still one of the worst parts of the updates. When the easiest way to get to the forum i want to go to is to type "Golf" into the URL bar and click the link from my history, you know there's something wrong.

Formatting is also all over the place since the latest update. And still have an unread mail that i can't get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Vanilla are a sham if this is how they operate.

They won't be online until later so the covered menus at the top of the page and horrendous spacing in the bookmarks is going to be there for at least the rest of today and probably into Tuesday of next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The dropdown off topics at the top of the page only half works for me. If I go Topics > Sports, then I can't see anything past basketball as the rest run off the bottom of the screen.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I said it would be fixed or rolled back, we fixed the issue we were having with the deployment. We'll post more about it all later today.

I'm not seeing the same as you wrt the top banner covering notices...what browser are you using and have you any extensions or ad blockers enabled that could be having an effect?

We'll be looking at the white space issue on the My Bookmarks and My Discussions pages today, spacing seems to have been knocked out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The spacing seems to be an issue everywhere, not just on My Bookmarks or My Discussions. This is the main Games page.

OK I hadn't realised it was on forum view as well, I'll add that to the list thanks @Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The top of the screen in desktop has been concertina-ed up, so I'm missing the three tabs, "My Forums" "My Threads" etc (firefox)

And the very top blue banner ("Talk To" etc) is slightly displaced, but that's more cosmetic than anything.

Also, in mobile, it's still very random where you land when you click on a previously read thread title with new posts in it - sometimes it's the last post, sometimes it's the first unread posts, and sometimes it's somewhere random in the middle of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

So are we any closer to:

• being able to selectively quote a post
    • pressing the back button without the device having a seizure and losing its place on the page
    • seeing who thanked posts

How many months on and still the most basic and functional features of the site are nowhere to be seen

• Advertisement

If you have Adblocker enabled switching this off should fix the issue with the concertina effect, seems to have worked for others.

The other issue with landing in odd places on mobile when returning to a thread is still being investigated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement