Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old lawn - help

Options
  • 15-10-2021 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Last April I dug up my old lawn on a house we'd just bought as it was in dire shape and full of moss, weeds, briars etc.

I first killed off everything with roundup and left for a few weeks, then rotavated the entire garden and dug up old stumps and removed dead trees. 40 tonnes of topsoil was then spread by shovel and barrow (never again lol) and the lawn was then sowed and I fertilised with 10-10-20

Growth has been normal.during the hear but more recently I'm getting some yellowy patches after cutting and also around the border next to the adjoining field I'm getting alot of the weed that's in the picture.

I was going to spread a winter fertiliser shortly from Greenfeet Lawncare shop in the hope it would feed the lawn for the winter and her green it up.

I'm not sure whether I'm going the right way though, is there anything someone more knowledgeable in thisnadea might suggest I do? I think the lawn is a bit young for some of those all in one feed and weed killer products?

Come spring my intention is either to fertilise again with 10-10-20 or 7-16-20 or something to help it green up a bit.

Pics attached,

Thanks in advance guys

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd be reluctant to feed all that weed to be honest. I'd kill the weeds and give it a 7-6-17 feed in the Spring. Keep the cut high for the rest of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Weeds and lawn are a constant battle, you'll do well beside a field to keep them out fully, even weed grasses will enter the lawn eventually :(

As for your "greening " concerns, iron sulphate" spray or granular form, just read the directions !! dont over do it, you'll burn the lawn to hell. were in october now it's rime time to apply Iron sulphate to keep moss at bay during the winter months, and if you feel generous, try adding some seaweed to the mix ( assuming it's a liquid feed you're spraying on)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I guess this is not the reply you are looking for, but can I throw out a suggestion just on the off chance it may give you pause for thought?

Monoculture lawns, apart from things like golf greens and bowling greens, are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The thinking is that single species grass contributes nothing to bio-diversity and the vital necessity for insects in our increasingly sterilised world.

Some 'weeds' in the grass is great benefit to nature, and when it is mowed it is still the calm area of green that you are seeking. I can understand that you don't want briars and thistles in the grass, but these can be removed manually quite easily, and mowing defeats them anyway, but all the other small flower plants are of value and should be given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Thanks for the input folks. Would you think one of the aftercut feed and weedkiller products would be the product for the job or just go with the iron sulphate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Either or, i think aftercut has Iron in it, altho the aftercut has prob a high enough nitrogen content for this time of year.

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks

Whatever I use it'll be via a large broadcast spreader anyways

I know it's not really comparable, I have a patch of grass the dog used to pee on and you have a field but I used to keep a box of aftercut all in one which was grand for keeping most of the weeds suppressed. When that ran out I happened by a box of Ultra green plus on clearance for a fiver in Tesco at the end of the summer and gave the lawn a dousing, I did go on to de thatch and overseed it last month also and it's so green it almost looks like an artificial lawn. The iron content is supposed to help suppress moss but it's not as much of weed control as is fertilizer but I'm quite happy with the results.

I don't know how that would work out for you, they do a larger bag 350m2 at £20 on amazon right now. Might be what you want.

edited to add picture for context

lawn at the end of August

Lawn yesterday after cut with a strimmer (..because)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Cheers thanks,

Looks much better now fair play

Advertisement