Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Deposit scheme is coming in the next year

It is part of "Deposit-Return-Scheme" trial by Lidl ahead of the Government’s compulsory national scheme expected to be in operation by 2023.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058207260/lidl-10c-for-used-bottles-and-cans/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Only for cans and plastic bottles though. No deposit scheme for glass bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Still, it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Wish I could get a sob story published one in the national newspapers for everything that's a little bit unfavorable to my living circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This might help explain some drivers who close pass...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

diarmuid ferriter - in the IT - takes the slebs selling SUVs in the IT to task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Irish Times trying to have its cake and eat it as usual.

They were happy to accept the cash for the Ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So why does she live in the middle of nowhere where the family needs two cars? I'm sick of this rural Ireland bullsh*t, you can't have your one-off cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That's really quite a disturbing piece of research in terms of the mental effect driving a big car can have on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭McGrath5

If she is indeed a rural dweller then her way of life is already subsidized by the rest of society through the provision of roads to her doorstep and public utilities, seems she has a bit of a brass neck moaning in a newspaper when asked to contribute a few extra euros in taxes (when she admits increased tax credits will cancel out the extra carbon tax).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read that and thought 'it may just be possible she's married to a farmer' but if she was i would assume this would have been mentioned.

could someone put a direct link to the article in the thread? twitter is blocked in work. ta!

ta muchly!

Re the rural Ireland thing - we've gone on holidays in Donegal the last few years, and each year there is some MAJOR MAJOR roadworks going on.

Invariably connecting a town of 800 people with another town of 800 people. EG at the moment between Glenties and Dungloe.

These are roads that I can only assume are costing in the hundreds of millions.

Dublin is massively underinvested from an infrastructure POV, but no one is allowed say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How were you getting around, to be hitting the roadworks - hoverboard? I'm not going to defend the article, and know that investment is spread too thinly to really impact in the city, but (for example) road maintenance in Wicklow is hardly just for locals. It's not like there's tolls for all the Dubs that come out at the weekend, same as there isn't for those that holiday in Donegal.

I was driving.

But I think you are missing the point. This is building a whole new road, at considerable expense, when there is a good road already there, in a rural area. And my point is, for the cost of it, they could do more impactful things by investing in Dublin.

Look at the list of major projects in plan at present.:

Road from Collooney in Sligo to Knock in Mayo. Collooney with population of 1600. Connecting it to a small town with a minor airport. That project is set to cost €550mn.

A bypass for Slane. €100mn. When you have the M1 about 20 miles away drawing most of the traffic going north.

Very few of these projects are in Dublin.

And cycling infrastructure is a small fraction of what is being spent in Dublin.

And yet when you read the budget report, and the media around it, you would think the whole transport spend is being given to bikes and luas, and that roads are an afterthought.

Major-Active-Projects-March_FinalC.pdf (tii.ie)

Jennifer O’Connell: Ryan’s utopian vision carries assumption everyone lives just like him (irishtimes.com)

What we do know is that under the plan, €35 billion is being spent on transport, weighted 2:1 in favour of public transport, cycling and walking over new roads. This is great news for anyone who lives in Dublin and rarely needs to leave it.

The Irish Times has reported dozens of times at this stage on the Sandymount cycle lane. Its always keen to highlight the cost of new cycle paths. But a google search is telling me it has never once, not once, reported on a road from Knock to Colloney costing half a billion?

New 750m cycle path costing €9 million opens along Dublin’s Royal Canal (irishtimes.com)

Irish Times criticised for €20m “cycle path” article -- IrishCycle.com

Post edited by Tombo2001 on

I'm not defending the split, as I said in my post above, but you've highlighted a National Secondary Route and a National Primary route as examples of local/ rural projects! It's not really Collooney (as a stand alone town) to Knock, it's Sligo Town (and further northwest) to Galway via the N4/ N17 (from Collooney) to Galway. So I'm not arguing the general point, but those are rubbish examples to pick!

As we see with the South Dublin Infrastructure thread here, the opposition to Bus Connects, with the Metro, there's an awful lot more to why Dublin (and most Irish cities) have crap public transport and active travel infrastructure than just the division of funding. Less about funding, more about the Car is King attitude.

You are making it sound like its connecting to great Metropolises - Sligo Town has a population of 19000. Its not big at all. It would be a minor suburb in Dublin, like Churchtown or Santry.

By comparison, when the luas was being brought to Broombridge, it would have been a simple job to extend it to Finglas, much much larger population than Sligo. And it would have cost a lot less than half a billion, and would have been far more impactful.

But it wasnt done.

So, no I dont think its a crap example.

• Advertisement

Well we'll agree to disagree, as there is also a need for greater regional development to take the pressure (in several ways) off the greater Dublin area. But Sligo to Galway (2 significant urban centres in an Irish context) is still different from Collooney to Knock, which is how you framed it.

I am in the greater Dublin area, fwiw, and if/ when back in the office will be bike or public transport commuting, at least the "urban" part of the journey. It would be substantially more of the km's with more appropriate cycle infrastructure, which I have made submissions on for recent road projects, and the county development plan, for inclusion.

Every rail project in Dublin has met with opposition, even those that have proved to be a success. Bus Connects is going to be thoroughly compromised. We can't even get a network for safe cycling to bloody schools in Deansgrange.

Kerry Greenway back on track, not sure if there can be any more appeals after this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, that was a judicial review, that should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Three cyclists were travelling on the Castlefin to Liscooley road when a dark coloured pick up truck with a trailer attached overtook a tractor that was coming in the opposite direction. Two of them were forced off the road and were unseated. https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/10/19/cyclists-injured-during-alleged-incident-of-dangerous-driving/

Government Publishes Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021

Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan TD and Minister of State Hildegarde Naughton TD have announced the publication of the Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021.

The Bill is a wide-ranging and significant piece of legislation and will deliver on key legislative commitments in the Programme for Government.

These include:

• E-scooters – a new class of powered personal transporters (PPTs), including e-scooters, will be created, and the Minister will be able to provide for the use of these vehicles in public places under existing regulatory powers.

• Laws to deal with dangerous and antisocial off-road use of scramblers, quads and other similar vehicles will be strengthened.

• Legislation to support the newly installed dynamic traffic management on the M50.

• Legislation to support more rapid implementation of BusConnects.

• Amendments to the records of vehicles and drivers, which will strengthen law enforcement by directly linking licensed drivers to registered vehicles.

• Amendments to complete the statutory basis of a shared database of insured drivers (the Motor Third Party Liability or MTPL database) to combat uninsured driving.

The Bill also contains a variety of other measures which will enhance safety on our roads and help to make public transport and active transport more attractive.

Speaking today, Minister Ryan said “I am very pleased today to be able to publish this important legislation, which I hope to introduce in the Dáil in the next few weeks. We committed in the Programme for Government to resolving legal barriers to the use of e-scooters, as well as e-bikes, and this Bill will deliver on both of those commitments. These proposals in the Bill should be seen as part of our wider efforts to encourage alternative forms of mobility, reduce our culture of reliance on the private car and open opportunities for active and healthy travel. The BusConnects proposals in the Bill will contribute to the same goal by underpinning our investment in a much-improved public transport network. This is a substantial Bill, which will address a number of other important matters. I believe it will represent a major improvement to our traffic and roads laws, with real benefits for the travelling public.

In addition, I am currently working on a number of other measures to address in amendments to the Bill during its passage, in particular to facilitate the provision of active travel infrastructure.”

Minister Naughton said “The publication of this Bill is a significant step on the way to improving safety on our roads. After a long period when road deaths were declining, we have reached a point where it is becoming harder to make an impact. The new measures which allow TII to manage traffic better on the M50 will make it safer for all users, while the completion of the Motor Insurance Database will assist in stopping uninsured drivers, who are often dangerous and guilty of other road traffic offences. It will also help in bringing down the cost of insurance for law-abiding drivers. These and other measures in the Bill are important initiatives which will benefit all road users and help us advance towards our ambitious shared EU Vision Zero of eliminating deaths and serious injuries on our roads by 2050.”

Actual bill is here

The relevant updates for ebikes and scooters appears to be as follows (screenshots because pasting from the gov site is a mess)

So the 250w max power remains for e-bikes

i don't think there was ever a suggestion it might change (except for cargo bikes and the like, but i don't remember that being mooted in an irish context)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A pretty firm upholding of the non feasance rule and also putting to bed the myth that a council have to act if they have been warned of a hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

NRA or TII like to regulaely remind agents of this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So, no Strand Road precedent solution in the first draft of the Bill? Seems strange, they had plenty of time to prepare it. Could it be that legal advice is that there are no such things, in principle of law, as temporary measures and trials?

If he tries to ram something through on the guillotine later in the process, he'll get the same treatment Dublin City Council got.

• Advertisement

would issues related to road planning be in the road traffic act? are there any measures in the existing bill along these lines?

Advertisement