Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

It's actually hilarious how people who suggested that last year where dismissed as cranks ( i would have been one of the ones calling them such) but here we are today and it's all coming to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is what you said:

You of all people are well aware that the vaccine hasn't stopped people contracting covid

It sounds like what you meant to say was:

You of all people are well aware that the vaccine has stopped most people contracting covid, but not in every case

The first implies the vaccine doesn't stop contraction of covid and leaves it ambiguous as to what the meaning is. If you want to hide behind ambiguity, expect to be called out on it. If you want a discussion, at least be accurate in what you're trying to convey, because, as it was, it implied that Callum Robinson would have missed the game anyway even if vaccinated.

I trust your future posts will be more accurate in this regard.

Absolute nonsense if that happens. Open up like everyone else and let's get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Tork

What planet are you on if you think masks in a nightclub are an option in any shape or form?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats ridiculous, there is nothing unambiguous whatsoever about the statement: "the vaccine hasn't stopped people contracting covid".

The presence of vaccinated people in ICU proves that as a stone cold fact. People can lead that off into more subtle debate but the original statement is as clear and simple as you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What's the point in masks when you are in a pub or night club? No mask 95% of the time then you put it on to go to the jacks. It's pure theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Rte can't listen or watch them any more

Any independent Irish media no ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bloopy

On 24th September the government announced that the passports would be extended on 9th october by 2 weeks until 22 October.

On 9th October legislation permitting use of passports was extended until new year "just in case"

In the last two days an emergency has popped out of nowhere requiring some restrictions be extended with a great emphasis being placed on the passports as the main restriction to be kept.

I don't think they ever had any intention of removing the passports.

To what end? I don't know. But I guess we will find out over the next few months.

But if the behaviour of former liberal democracies like Australia and Italy are anything to go by, it does not look overly rosy.

I would suggest that the next date for removal of the passport restrictions will see a similar emergency being rolled out a week or two beforehand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are pubs considered retail premises? If no then I see no reason at all to wear one there.

It's already stupid wearing one to the entrance of a restaurant and removing it the moment you go to the table...

Absolutely ridiculous tbh. Lads in the jacks taking a piss and then straight to the door without washing their hands all whilst wearing a mask 🤣

This nation is gone mad. It's dumbfounded how easily lead people are here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

One week before the long planned full reopening and people are seriously discussing what few crumbs they would be happy to actually get.

Limited opening hours, masks, social distancing, small groups at tables only, passports needed for service. You call that reopening?

Might as well throw a €9 meal requirement in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Can’t believe we’re a week out and they are talking about not dropping the restrictions. How people aren’t up in arms about this cowboy government I’ll never know, it’s psychological abuse of the populace at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's now 11 euro a meal, inflation you see oh and staying safe. #holdfirmjusttwomoreweeks

There’s not a hope they will get rid of the vaccine certs and they never had any intention of getting rid of them, how will they coerce people to get the 3rd and 4th booster jab? You can’t have your pint of Guinness unless Pfizer are getting their 100 quid a dose. It’s sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

In fairness, the first time they came out with "the next 2 weeks are crucial" I lapped it up and did my bit.

Then the second time I copped it was BS.

Then when places like Italy started opening pubs in May 2020 (or whichever date it was) and we kept delaying all summer I knew this country would make the biggest mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ah here! Let's not do that.

It's been a great few months of opening up. Pints. Gigs. Football. Travel. I couldn't hack going back.

Open some more on the 22nd and keep it to the vaccinated if the unvaccinated are disproportionately effecting the health system.

And keep advising work from home for people who can.

I wonder if at the start of all this instead of 2 weeks to flatten the curve, they came out and said we’ll be balls deep in this for 2 years + how many people would have complied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

If they go ahead with stopping the reopening now this is equivalent to stopping people from gathering indoors in winter due to the high chance you catch a case of the Flu. If they are stil basing off "cases" now with this % vaccinated we will never see return of normality again for pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep I do not want to go back to those outdoor cans/pints which thinking back now was horrible

• Advertisement

If you think that any of the politicians, civil servants or public health types will relinquish this power and control you are living on cloud cuckoo land. Quite the contrary, they are looking at what is happening in Australia and thinking to themselves “we could get a piece of that action over the winter”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yeah my local has the table at the bar setup so I sit there and it's almost like the old days.

Few pints with people over the Christmas be grand. Pretty sure they are all vaccinated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are going to have night clubs with no dancing. Or masks with dancing.

I don't even think RTE would even dare go to night club to show young people dancing with masks on and try and spin it as a positive "return to normality"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't know the date specifics of CR7 but I'll take your word for it and thank you for the efforts you have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MOH will NOT make the decision either. It will be a collective Cabinet decision.

What’s the **** point of something like that? It boggles the mind? Is the point of night clubs not to dance in close proximity and shift the face off random strangers? It seems masks have just become part of our cultural lexicon now and we just wear them because it’s what’s expected like having to go to mass years ago even though you didn’t believe in God.

The worst thing is I actually believe what you’re saying could happen, RTÉ will be rocking up with the cameras and you have some young wan in the queue wearing only half nothing and a vaccine passport with a mask on getting tested by some bloke in a visor and space suit to get in, people on top of each other in a small space but somehow it’s grand because they have a mask on or even worse all dancing on boxes on the floor 2 metres apart. No one will question this insanity and it will be spun as some positive back to normal situation.

We’ve lost the **** plot.

And yet people who said exactly that where mocked and ridiculed across all platforms. I remember that Joe Duffy plank telling a lad not to be spreading misinformation and fear when he said we'd still be dealing with this for years back in April of last year and yet her we are with the fear game ramped up to 10 and our happy clappy media playing along.

They need to be honest with people and tell them there is no end game. It's endless jabs and covid certs for years and years with restricted living for everyone. Start treating people like adults. We've all heard of the term helicopter parenting well this is helicopter governance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They didn't know it would last this long back at the start.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Imagine being an owner of a nightclub at the moment. With the way the government are communicating your head would be wrecked. It's fairly cruel imo

• Advertisement

They could end all restrictions tomorrow and nothing would happen, we’re gripped by a mass psychosis.

Advertisement