Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

If they showed people prancing around in a giant bubble stating this could be an option for going to a gig I have no doubt they would have no issue whatsoever showing people people dancing with masks on and complimenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unfortunately covid doesn’t respect our plans/wishes - i wish it wasn’t so but it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That's a different argument. I'd quite happily have everything opened tomorrow.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its disgraceful. To publicly announce a reopening date with over 2 months notice. To let business owners make their plans and spend money prepping, and then one week before that reopening start giving leaks that it might not happen, but with the actual confirmation of whats happening only to come a few days before the reopening.

And they have done this repeatedly over the course of this pandemic.

Its shamefully disrespectful from an incompetent shower of clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

You are missing the point though.

When they said "the next 2 weeks are crucial" the first time there was no plan for what would happen after 2 weeks.

Then they kept the "2 weeks" line up for months, knowing it was BS.

They also dragged the absolute arse out of restrictions, which, in my view, has led to poor natural immunity (and that's not just covid at this stage) meaning we could be facing into a perfect storm as we approach Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This time next week **** all will be after changing and we'll be debating about how the new date of November 19th will not happen and closer to the date the usual feelers will be out saying 'another delay is coming and we may need to bring in more restrictions with winter coming'

I notice the VFI/LVA are all silent on these matters lately, so much for a national representative body for the nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And your stalker will be telling us that we are just doom merchants, that there is no indication that things won't reopen on the 19th November as planned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It goes beyond nightclubs though. People will have been reopening coffee shops and increasing staff numbers etc. as office works slowly return.

Now Glynn has kicked that back to wfh again.

So all these lives have been tossed about again.

A lot of retailers are in a similar predicament, people popping into a shoe shop on their lunch break etc., won't be doing it when wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Do you have a value for the number of people you describe as "eligible person who refuses a vaccine"?

I suspect it is a tiny, tiny number.

It is none of your business how many people have chosen to take a vaccine, why they choose to do so, or not to do so, as the case may be. It may be surprising that your consideration is therefore not alone uninvited, but pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There was no ambiguity.

It's interesting though that you still see no issue with the original statement that inferred that the vaccine bestowed absolute protection.

I won't be responding to you putting words in my mouth and trying to construct narratives that don't exist again.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Exactly this. The ‘Things are different this time’ line will be trotted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Ask any nurse that works in a hospital and they will tell you they are all very worried about the coming winter. Children's hospital I know for a fact is in a bad way already and its not even November

So I guess the vaccines they sold us would end the pandemic are next to useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Numbers not going the way we want them for the 22nd Oct reopening

Plenty of ammunition there for NPHET and the likes to postpone it and that's with a week out from it

Publicly none of them will admit it but privately they know that the hospital system is always maxed out, throw in another say, 150 in ICU and 800 in general wards from covid and its fcuked next January.

I didn't miss the point though. You're making a different point.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Yes but isn't there a huge lack of staff in the hospitality industry at the moment? This gives the cafes of the country more time to hire

I usually try to keep a positive spin on things and try to be more optimistic than pessimistic...but that's a step too far for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Allinall

You don’t. The government is paying for them from our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Pfizer are a lovely bunch giving you free vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you wanted to go there, as a young person and with no known underlying conditions, it would be almost, but not quite, a certainty that if CR had been vaccinated that he wouldn't have missed the match. You're arguing about raind being ambiguous when raind has acknowledged multiple times that there is no absolutes by making your own ambiguous statement and then getting huffy about it.

But now at least it is all unambiguous for all.

(I say this in a thread where just a few posts another person is claiming vaccines don't work, but might be hiding behind sarcasm, or is serious, given the posting history, I'm leaning to the latter but a lot of the anti-vax nutters post misinformation and then hide behind ambiguity or just flat out lie and run away).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But you won't happily go take a vaccine so that is not going to happen.

It is because of anti vaxxers like you that we will likely have no restrictions removed on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The longer this goes on, by pure work of numbers the most vulnerable will come in contact with the Virus. And those who are not really vulnerable now, they may become vulnerable over the next 6month to a year. Especially with how cancer treatments have been delayed. The vulnerable category is being replenished, probably quicker than the deaths.

If the NPHET Government won't lift restrictions now, we are stuck until March/April. By then if we have case numbers like last year (maybe more) 400-500 a day, if we are lucky. Between 10,000-15000 a month. Keep that going until the Summer, it adds up to near 100,000 cases leading up until next September. The vulnerable category being constantly replenished.

This stuff isn't ending if we continue the attitude towards it. It's war-time. During war you have to accept that people will die, usually the weakest of them all. The war has been lost. We cannot save them. They can be helped with vaccines but the war has been lost.

LOL

If ever there was a post that highlights the inability to see the wider picture aroud covid issues, including strategies to manage covid, this is the one. You have paid a massive cost for your vaccine, in every way, and the vaccination campaign, and the problem is it is not achieving what it was hoped to achieve.

Speaking personally, I am pro-vaccination. However there needs to be an acceptance that vaccinations have not provided the route back to what would be considered a normal way of life in a democracy, and may never do so. This is disappointing but it is also the reality (sidepoint - it follows that demonising the unvaccinated is unfair, and pointless if not counter-productive. It is impossible to avoid the conclusion that the attempt to target this small group is simply designed to distract from our inadequate health services).

The vaccinations are not magic. They are hugely beneficial and offer a significant but by definition limited degree of protection. We are not going to be able to rely on "vaccinating our way out of this", given the nature of the virus. We are going to have to shoulder more risk, individually and collectively, of becoming infected and sick, and possibly dying, if we want to change the circumstances in which we live.

My perspective is greatly informed by the fact that this infection is not life-threatening for the vast, vast majority of people who get infected. That has to be a central consideration in assessing the proportionality of how we deal with it, especially now with approaching 2 years experience of attempting to control/contain/restrict/lockdown. There is no logic in how we are applying ourselves to this problem, to the detriment of so many other societally damaging illnesses and other consequences, in which I include the economy, because all of what we need as a society has to be paid for somehow.

(sidepoint - I am aware that this is a contagious disease in contrast to many other causes of sickness and death. It is still the case that for the vast, vast majority of people who contract an infection, it will not be life-threatening, even more so with the limited protection which vaccinations give)

Time to get on with it. We have some protection from a good vaccination programme. We have an awareness/understanding of the causes of infection. We have the right to make personal choices regarding the risks which we are willing to take. We need and are entitled to a functional society and this is not what we have at the moment.

Finally, I'm just going to say it, everyone dies of something. You think it won't be you or yours, but it will be one day. There is no way to prevent that, and there is no way to reduce the risk of Covid or anything else to zero or close to zero. Life just does not work that way.

edit: someone said earlier (to another poster) "it's because of anti-vaxxers like you that we can't open up" or something. That's the greatest load of - with all due respect - rubbish. It's not the unvaccinated holding you back. It's yourself and those like you who - alarmingly - can't see what is right in front of your nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Quags

Putting aside the whole Anti Vaxxers are killing us bullshit, as of yesterday we had basically 88% of Ireland doubled dosed and the talk is that the remaining restrictions cant happen because of high numbers and those pesky anti vaxxers, at what stage do the public just decide that enough is enough

Advertisement