Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm about an hour or so into it, and it's fine. I can honestly say, despite loving Metroid for years, that it's been surpassed. It's fun, and it's a great game, but Hollow Knight has totally spoiled me. I consider that to be this genres masterpiece, and this is not the same standard as that (lofty as that standard is, it does mean that Dread is not a fantastic game, it's just missing a certain je ne sais quoi thus far)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I got a phone call there to say it's in, and I'll get a free mousemat and poster with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I found Hollow Knight to be depressing and hard.

Ori and the will of the wisps was absolutely brilliant though.

Got them for a tenner each :) :) :)

But, I can't wait to play Metroid Dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

No mention of freebies on the phone for me but will suss them out in store. In fairness they should give something, 5 days late on a pre order is fairly poor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a good, solid Metroid game based on what I've played so far (just got the morph ball). I think it's hard to get particularly thrilled about it given I've played so many games of its type, but it's satisfying comfort food gaming and a perfectly solid follow-up to its predecessors..

One thing I really like is the speed of the thing. Samus absolutely zips along.

One thing I really dislike is when the parrying becomes a quick time event. Timing feels a bit off for me when I'm asked to do it in a short cutscene during a boss battle, whereas feels most generous and satisfying against standard enemies. It’s a shame because the bosses are highlights otherwise.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pretty much, thank you for making my point even clearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hate that I can't selectively quote... but...

The 'quick time parry' - Other than when the game pauses on the first EMMI encounter to tell you about this and the tight window for it, I've only experienced it once, when I was fighting

the Chozo robot (Torizo anyone?)

Unless there's more of them to come.. but yes, it was a little annoying when it cuts to what seems to be a short cut-scene, then throws those at you is a bit cheap.

On the comparisons to Hollow Knight, I'd say that I actually felt the opposite. Hollow Knight felt like a decent tribute to the Metroid/Castlevania games, but not really quite up to their standard, and it didn't hold my attention as much.

In that, I feel that Metroid Dread has captured that much better than Mercury Stream's previous effort in Samus Returns, which felt like a good tribute to the games, whereas AM2R felt like the real update to Metroid 2. Dread does feel like it's worthy of it's place in the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I agree about the hard part, not necessarily the depressing part - sure, it was dark and dreary, but I never found it overbearing. The controls were tight, the enemies were great, and the bosses were tough, but challenging (though the post game and extra DLC is just crazy - I had to glitch invincible myself to finish those off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Unless there's more of them to come.. but yes, it was a little annoying when it cuts to what seems to be a short cut-scene, then throws those at you is a bit cheap.

I've only pulled it off 3 or 4 times against EMMI (and died way way more)...

But...

Yes, the quick time blocks pop up more frequently, there are several more chozo-bots with the spears that you need the parry to finish them off with once energy is depleted enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement

I'm going to collect my copy shortly, I am taking a late lunch. Should I expect a fanfare when I get there or is this excitement limited to me?

My order from Smyths yesterday just arrived.

Excitement over now!

Next Step: play the game or put on the backlog

😀

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rest / sleep mode: good feature for a console.

Rest / sleep mode when it means you miss the iconic Metroid save station theme when you boot up the game: bad feature for a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

how hard is this game ? metroid noob and tempted try it but don't know would i have the patience ! but keep hearing great things .

I collected it today, the guy serving me said that the mousemat and poster are only for limited edition, I told him that I was told it when they rang yesterday. He contacted somebody and confirmed I was correct. The receipt says that they are worth €4.99 each. I genuinely wouldn't pay 10cents for both. Poster is an A3 page folded in half twice, and the mousemat is one of the really really thin plastic mats. I am 100% sure both would have been given away free with a magazine had this been the 90's or 00's. Poster would pull out or be wrapped in plastic with magazine, and I'm pretty sure I got a load of those mousemats free with different designs on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Collected mine today and he bagged up the poster and mouse mat without me mentioning it. Lack of consistency among Gamestops nothing new I guess. Playing game now though and enjoying it so far. Movement is super smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Going against the grain here but I think this is complete sh1te, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion are two of my fav games of all time but Dread feels like 10 years ago when a game was moderately successful on Android and it would get ported to other systems but would always feel wrong. It has none of the slickness of past games. Its all clunky and slow, the quick time events in combat just make it feel like a smartphone port as I said, not enjoying it at all and this is the game I was most looking forward to apart from Breath of the Wild 2.

A fair bit in now - just hit a major mid-game story cutscene - and it’s really picked up in terms of navigation and skills. Not that it was boring beforehand or anything, but they’ve been dishing out new upgrades with giddy abandon for the last hour or two and I’m definitely on board with that :)

One minor complaint is that the map screen feels a little busy maybe? Lots and lots of icons and info, can make parsing the vital info a little tricky. But the design in game is excellent for the most part - the game has constantly been guiding me in the right direction, while making it feel like I’m discovering all the paths for myself. Some very cleverly placed teleports and elevators clearly aimed at pointing you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did anyone buy this from the UK Nintendo store? I can only select UK as the country while my Irish postcode/phone is rejected as invalid (bit annoying either way given it's a digital purchase). Are you all physical disc buyers - or where are you getting the digital version?

It's 50 quid delivered physical from Smyths. Or less, pick up in Argos. Why bother with a digital download that'll cost more and you can never sell, trade, share? I ordered from Smyths and got the cartridge the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't trade games, and the only physical copies I have are a couple of 1st party titles. Swapping carts is a pain in the àss; I got the Switch precisely for the convenience of digital downloads so I can pick it up and just play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Did you try it through the Store on the Switch itself?

🤦 In my defense I'm running a fever and laid up passing the time. Of course that works fine; am used to browsing / buying via the Mac/phone cos it's easier day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I was able to purchase through the Nintendo website and have it download to my switch automatically a few times.

You could check if that works for you here:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Metroid-Dread-1987653.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started playing this last night. I'm now at (late game spoilers)

Just got my Gravity suit

Really liking it, though I do keep getting buttons mixed up.

I'm really bad at countering some enemies especially EMMI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

struggling pass first EMMI 😅well the second one but the first is only a tutorial . it's my first metroid game tbf and i'm not experienced in metrovanias at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Everyone struggles with EMMI counters. Well I think they do, seems a bit too random to counter to me.

Oddly though the six times I've pulled them off, I've done them in sets of two, like countered, ran on, got caught a few seconds later and then countered again.

I've never pulled off a single counter, only doubles.

Really disappointed in the unskippable cut scenes though. I took a 15 year break from gaming and God how has the industry not learned how annoying it is? I get some of them are disguising background loads, but after the sixth time of watching the same pre boss scene I'd actually prefer the loading screen.

You can skip pre-boss cutscenes! I believe you press + and then - - you should get an on-screen prompt when you press +.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

If you press + during a cutscene you get a pop up option to press - to skip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Argh. I'd swore I tried every button.

Edit, not working for a certain cut scene. Double edit, it does second time of asking.

Thanks so much for the tip!

Advertisement