Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Have noticed this morning the trees have got a good rattle with the bit of rain and wind. Leaf fall greatly increased. Next few days will clear the crowns of many trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I have gotta say another cracker of a month here in Dublin. I havent been on here as much lately but it feels like October has been another really dry month and lots of sunshine. Only 19mm of rain has fallen at Dublin airport this month, 15mm at Phoenix park. Last weekend you would nearly have gotten away with a t-shirt when the sun was shining mid afternoon.

Total rainfall for January - October so far is 508mm at Dublin Airport. That would seem to be below average as we start to approach the latter end of October. For comparision, Cork is 914mm already, some parts of west coast up over 1,100mm.

For a relatively small island it is amazing the contrast from East to West on annual rainfall even factoring in more atlantic systems hitting the west coast. some parts of the west, south west and north west could get up to triple the rainfall that the east is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes it's mad hearing people complaining about rain in other parts of Ireland, it just doesn't seem to rain in Dublin any more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

similar here in Meath, only 20mm of rain so far this month and mean temperature currently 2C above average for October. 590mm of rain so far this year which is quite a low reading this far into the year. The wettest 3 months of the year are January, February and July, all other months are relatively dry averaging between 10mm and 50mm of rainfall.

IF the remainder of the year is relatively dry we could struggle to reach 800mm of rainfall by years end. The normal for this part of Meath is roughly 900mm of rainfall per year, often it is closer to 1000mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I see Casement in Dublin recorded 657mm for the whole of 2018 and phoenix park was 686mm in total. Dublin averages between 700- 750mm per year. Interestingly it makes Dublin one of the driest cities in this part of North and North West Europe.

Glasgow averages over 1,100mm per year, Cardiff 1,150mm Manchester 1,044mm Amsterdam 844mm, Brussels 820mm, Oslo 805mm. It may be that some of these cities on the continent get more sunshine too and warmer summers but there is no doubt Dublin is quite a dry location when looking at this part of the Europe

London is quite similar to Dublin for rainfall, averaging 690mm with Paris closer to 610mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I suppose you have to look at the frequency of rainfall as well. It probably rains more in Dublin than it does in cities on the continent, despite them getting higher totals on average. Glasgow and Manchester's average totals are roughly similar to that of Galway City's.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Four years ago today Ophelia hit the south coast of Ireland ... so we were a bit busier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sure were. That was the sky as she approached around the same time in the morning

ETaL

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

And I know not Irish related but 34 years agoon the night of 15/16 October the great storm of 1987 hit southern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Remnants of Hurricane Hazel hit Toronto on same dates in 1954 with record wind speeds and rainfalls causing some severe flooding of rivers and many drowning deaths. There's something about this time of year, I guess, not far off the Columbus Day windstorm in the northwestern US (Oct 12, 1962) which was another hurricane remnant.

Save your blushes, we've just burst the 10mm for October mark here in southern Laois tonight. It has been a fantastic run of weather since June here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

We also had a better site with plenty of members. The "change over" to the new boards drove a lot of good members away. It will never recover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It has been such a bland year of weather, apart from the sunny and dry cold spell around Christmas / early Jan, and the heatwave during July I can’t recall any interesting or enjoyable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Stunning moon halo tonight in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

With Cargojet B767 C-FPIJ leaving its trail over the Moon

Quite a windy morning in Kildare but beautifully mild

Reached 20.1c today in South Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Got up to 18c here, lovely day for working outside. After a damp morning it brightened up nicely in the afternoon.

Nice red sunset and the cloud opposite had a nice light purple hue to it afterwards. Still 12c out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Putrid morning, damp, humid mild muck. Vile. This autumn is turning into a right shambles so far, I'm expecting winter to follow suit. No lower then 14c here last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain showers over the last couple of days and nights. Mild but wet.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Putrid couple of days in Cork, damp gloomy grey misty sh**e. Soul crushing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I almost feel sick to the stomach in this kind of weather. Humid, mild, damp,cloudy miserable southwesterly rubbish. Give me a bright proper fresh autumn day any day over this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Back in the office this week around Dublin 2, away from the sea and it's very muggy, not really comfortable for this time of year (particularly wearing a heavier shirt and jeans when it really is still shorts and tshirt weather). It feels like we need a good solid week of rain in the east to shake off this dull heat, but I'd be shocked if we had anything other than temperatures in the teens for the next two months, it really feels like it's settled that this year will be humid and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was a wet enough morning in meath, 32mm for the month so far, brightening up now, feels very warm in the sun, still in my shorts, doesnt feel right 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

20 years ago was a similar October. Wetter but a lot of 17/18c days.

Doesn’t feel or look like October

One of the sharpest line cloud clearances overhead now in Arklow that I've seen in a while

• Advertisement

Lovely moonglow in the eastern sky at the moment.

New Moon

Advertisement