Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dafuq's up with this site now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

FFS. Utter crap again.What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Who looks at this and thinks "You know what? This looks nice".

Is there any kind of forward planning / testing going on at all?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The navigational interface is now actually a lot better.

But one wonders what kind of testing went in before deployment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's changed? Looks the same to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I can’t see any difference either, maybe cause I’m on the touch site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is it just me or does the banner at the top of the desktop site now cover the "my threads" etc links?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Based on my minimal usage the change seems to be desktop only

So I managed to see the Villeneuve Dune movie. Before I dip behind the spoiler filter, let me just say that I enjoyed the film and will watch it again over the next few weeks. I think audiences may be a little divided but there is too much to like for me.

The rest is spoilers:

The biggest flaw by far with the film is that it's clearly (at best) half a film. The third act ran into serious pacing issues, they didn't have enough time to further delve into the larger conflict and I came away a little unsatisfied given the spectacle of the opening 90 minutes. While the final third was slower and more intimate and clearly necessary for the character development of some of the leading protagonists, it didn't feel like the natural end point of a complete film. As such, my main gripe is that as an opening instalment of a series, the film falls into the trap of not being it's own complete movie.

If I had some other complaints it would be down to the under utility of some of the cast (I suspect that will be remedied in the coming sequels) and the failure to use certain scenes to greater impact. One example of this is Rabban's character. There is one scene later on where he is executing a bunch of Atreides survivors and it's shot in a very sterile fashion, almost like a War documentary. Whilst I can understand this approach, I felt it was a missed opportunity to really show the menace of Rabban and give Bautista something to work with in a film where for the most part he just stood around looking sadistic but doing little.

Aside from the above, the film looked amazing. The distinctiveness of each of the key powers was remarkable, and the overall spectacle of the Universe created by Villeneuve was perfect. Skarsgård, Ferguson, Mamoa and Isaacs anchored the film, and Chalamet was a solid Paul Atreides. Despite only accounting for less than half the story told in the David Lynch adaptation, the Dune universe was far more fleshed out and I'm happy to live with a weaker third act for the story to be properly set up.

I read the first two books when I was 16 so my memory of them is at best hazy, but some of the more detailed characteristics of the likes of the Fremen have been adapted flawlessly and the power players from the Imperium to the Bene Gesserit and the Harkonnen along with their specific motivations all come together commensurately within the wider narrative.

I was looking forward to this movie for a while and I have greater anticipation for the next instalment having seen it.

• Advertisement

Jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Lady Parts. Best TV comedy I’ve seen in a good while. Admittedly I’ve only watched the first 2 episodes so far but it’s got me chortling away to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Anyone know how to ignore a poster who has set their profile to private?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just got back to the U.S! It was a great week back home, although mum is really struggling, dementia! Awful to watch someone struggling th memory issues.

Ireland is an insanely beautiful country!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Cobblestone is under threat, the Trinity Science Gallery is closing and now Chapters Bookstore has announced its shutting up shop. This is thoroughly depressing for a Dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Gutted about Chapters. Used to love spending an hour or two strolling around it, particularly upstairs. Thoroughly depressing is right.

All to be replaced by some gouging hotel or something. Fantastic.

Who the fcuk are all these people needing a hotel

• Advertisement

Dublin city councillor's bank accounts need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

have been reading through the thread on reddit and it doesn't sound like a great place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It isn't being replaced by a hotel.

It's closing because people don't go to bookshops any more, and Parnell St isn't exactly a retail destination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pretty much.

I don't mean it in a mean way but how often did people annoyed/upset at those things closing actually go to them?

Bookshops don't just have online to compete with but also Kindles.

Was in Chapters there the weekend just gone, oddly enough.

Yeah, it's location did not help at all, it's true. Probably the only thing I'd head up that way for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's loads of footfall on Parnell St, there's 3 supermarkets and the Ilac Centre within a stones-throw of Chapters. It was there for decades, it's not the location imo. Mixture of Covid, competition with Amazon/online retail, and people buying fewer physical books imo. It's a real shame imo.

Suspect we're going to have a lot of crap left over this year...

Yep, we've had two trick or treaters. They were rained off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We'd a load even with the weather.

• Advertisement

That's some fairly intense cringe from the web summit opening.

Advertisement