Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Rob Cass has to go down as the biggest spoofer this county has ever seen.led the council and everybody up the garden path.he showed no remorse or apology coming on wlrfm one Friday morning to say the money will be in the councils account that Monday morning and shovels ready to start straight away.knowing full well it was pure lies.

His on twitter these days trying to make himself important telling the government in how to do there job on almost every issue.nobody takes any notice of him on twitter as his credibility is shot to pieces.what a spoofer living in his own world with unicorns

ah a little harsh, but understandable, i think he has great vision for the region, but has obviously failed to execute, id actually like to sit down and have a chat with him, maybe i have the chap wrong, but i do think his approach to development is completely wrong. i do think the whole falcon nq project was absolutely based in land and property speculation, the approach that has ultimately wrecked our property markets, but as i said, i could have it completely wrong also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yes, I heard Rob Cass lie on WLR also. Not making excuses for him, but he is only human after all and he was in a difficult position.

However, you are being harsh on him. Your post ignores the fact that the worst pandemic in over one hundred years hit at the worst possible time for the development. A lot of good things have progressed on the back of the proposed development. These things were going nowhere before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The cost of construction and raw materials have gone up. North Quays will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Have to agree wholeheartedly. A spoofer of the highest order who blatantly lied to everyone in his interview on Friday with the plug pulled the following day. No credibility left whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've been consistently critical of Cass. I didn't like his style or his methods. I was lambasted here by many for challenging him on those fronts.

However, I won't criticise his motivation or his integrity.

Rob, if you're reading this - I think we'd all love to see you succeed with this project. Learn from this experience and come back stronger.

completely agree, i think he has great vision for the region, but his approach was very badly executed. i still beleive the council is wrong to sell the land as a part of the project, it opens it up for land and property speculators

The organisers of the Spraoi would have made a better job of the North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Article in media today re council, no sign of commercial director on NQuays (via news and star)

In truth I don’t see this happening for a long time with cost of materials, likely credit crunch on global markets etc - it must be & will be a huge stain on Michael Walsh’s career what are the chances of him bowing out and not a spade turned on NQ!

what could be done in the short term to at least get it up and running?!

• Advertisement

yea its a tough one, globally, things are looking very shaky, china seems to be struggling to get a handle on its building bust, that ll surely have consequences for us, governments and other major eu institutions are gonna have to step up, if we re to prevent another major downturn, the new year is gonna be very interesting.

i still think more local involvement is required, to make sure something happens on this site, and soon, local business groups need to be more involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

Get the bridge and train station in place. Feck the car parks on the south Quays over to the north Quays.

Develop a plaza along the south Quays.

Get Michael street area done and fill city square units and in time when things turn around again then go about the north Quays.

North Quays are fecked now, and looking back on it maybe it was never possible.

Had the government committed to stand alone uni and airport then the north Quays had a chance, but presently there is no one big driver to drive the north Quays now so let's work with that we have, sort the south Quays and finally do something with Michael Street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wouldn't see this as a stain on Michael Walsh at all. Waterford is in a much better place now than when he started, and I'm pleased that they had the guts to pull the plug on it when Falcon couldn't fulfill their contractual obligations.

What the hell is the matter with you! You can’t be coming on here with this kind of positive sentiment.

Seriously, people have short memories alright. Before Michael Walsh, on a scale of 1 to 10 the ambition of Waterford council was about 2. All they were interested in doing was building roads around the city. They did virtually nothing in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not sure about sending the cars to North quays, but agree with everything else here. With Greenway coming to the quays it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

never understood why there isn't more uproar over that south quays car park, major eye sore and waste of valuable space. that's the first thing they should be looking at changing in Waterford. where do you put the cars? who knows or maybe don't put them anywhere and improve local transport to incentivise people to use it cause they are terrible right now.

everyone here could think of many cool and exciting things to be put in the car park space on south quays that would add something to Waterford.

one of first things you see coming into Waterford are lots of car parks, exciting!

Another direct provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

Fair point, move car parks to NQ for anyone entering Waterford from the north.

Increase parking spaces in Bolton St, Millars Marsh, Water Side (maybe multi story).

And a new car park by Browns lane, all this should cover the south, east and west of the city. Job done.

People north of the city part in NQs and the rest park in those mentioned above

Has the N&S apologised yet over its hysterical coverage of the North Quays when it's now a derelict eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has anyone seen the Brewery Quarter redevelopment in Kilkenny?- it’s coming along nicely in small realistic phases - I think this is how the North Quay sites in Waterford should be redeveloped in bite sizes- to my mind the kind of investment and figures they were talking about weren’t realistic for this project. The retail and office element especially given the changes in shopping habits even before the weight of the pandemic. Better to do it in bits and gauge success over time

Damn right, we need to think small and aim low on the North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I think the original scale should be maintained but it should be phased, possibly start with apartments and offices then expand as time goes on.

It is better and more realistic than the current future white elephant- there’s a good reason why the site is idle and developers are avoiding it like the plague. If it was viable they’d be falling over themselves to get going. They clearly aren’t. And for good reason. Much better do a project in small phases especially one like this. The residential element and possibly hotel are worth proceeding with in the current climate. The rest no

Phasing it is the only way it will get going. There’s a major housing shortage so starting with the residential and getting people living there seems a no brainer to me. The retail seems a waste of time to me unless it’s going to be something unique like a Kildare village or something.

Fair enough on the retail. But the offices should go ahead also. Employers are already going cold on the whole permanent work from home thing.

I think the offices are important as they bring day time life to a place but have they had any interested tenants pre development willing to commit to occupying them?

I think the WFH will be here to stay but more of a feature in the “higher” office professions like Finance and Tech where skills are more at a premium and the work itself is more adaptable to WFH. Which is presumably where this development is pitched. Know a few people working with multinational Fintech companies and they seem to be still wfh as a choice for people.

I think the hotel element should also go ahead in the first phase as Waterford lacks quality hotels bar a few exceptions. Ditto the residential

i wonder are the legal issues of ferrybank is truly the thing causing it to remain largely vacant

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I wonder if they are now spinning the same yarn to the Corkonians?

Developers announce €350m plan for Cork city docklands (rte.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd be worried about the scale of office space in this development, especially given O'Callaghans record on filling office developments, but they are an active developer in Cork with a history of completing large scale projects in the city.

Advertisement