Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Well there would want to be wouldn’t there. After being shut down the last 19 months . They are finding it nigh on impossible to get staff as it is and now potentially another shutdown of nightlife industry . When the hell will it ever recover if it gets fucked over again next Friday .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Nothing has been announced yet, so we don;t know where we are heading yet.

A high vaccine uptake, yet extremely high cases, is that the Governments or HSE's fault? Sounds like you're looking to place blame.

It's a pandemic, goal posts will always move, plenty of countries have move goalposts.

You misunderstand, 13 year old's are not more vulnerable, we have high cases for what ever reason (I don't know myself), but high cases means covid circulates longer. The longer it circulates, the more exposed people become to it, so more people get infected. How do you reduce that, vaccines, but we've maxed out the uptake, 300k adults don't feel the need to get vaccinated, so how can we reduce the infection rate.... reduce the age for jabs. Hence why over 12's were offered a vaccine. Someone on boards put it best, the 300k who refused a vaccine had a 12 year old take their place.

But your OP stated that they had hired staff.... so did they hire staff or is it nigh on impossible to get staff? There's a massive difference between the two.

Well they have to have hired staff or else they couldn’t reopen . Are you doubting that it’s a struggle to get staff to reopen ?everywhere you looks pubs / clubs are desperate for staff . It’s literally a crisis for the industry . Now after breaking their bollox to get new staff you have to turn around and say oh sorry about that your not needed . Who in their right mind would apply for work in this industry with the way it’s being treated .

So are these people hired been on PUP or not? Because if they have been on PUP and then they don't open, they go back on PUP, minus a week or 2 they had full pay to get things organised.

So now your OP changes from worrying about all the staff getting fucked over to the clubs plight in hiring staff.

The staff wont be worse off due to the supports in place, but yes the business owners will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You are correct, nothing is announced, everything may go ahead as planned on Friday

Sounds like you're looking to place blame.

I am. If NPHET could apportion blame for 18 months, so will I, as an anonymous randomer online

Someone on boards put it best, the 300k who refused a vaccine had a 12 year old take their place.

In reality there is 600k foreign born nationals in Ireland. We do know Irish citizens have the best vaccine uptake in Europe and many other countries struggle to reach anywhere near Irelands vaccine uptake

NPHET wont solve cultural issues with lockdown or restrictions.

But yet Ireland and its citizens enters month 12 of Europe's strictest restrictions (we were in lockdown in October 2020)

How do you know these people being hired have been taken off the PuP?are you just assuming this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is some nasty **** right here, it sums up the dismissive attitude so prevalent in society right now. Playing petty word games just to dismiss the disgraceful way both employees and employers in the hospitality industry continue to be treated.

"Sure whats the problem, just dump them back on the PUP". **** shameful.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are no sunk costs for all parties involved in reopening a business after a period of forced closure? What about the people with bills to pay who might want a little bit more than the PUP? What about the people who passed on other jobs because they committed to a role based on the assurance that on 22nd October these restrictions would be lifted? Are you really so insular that you cannot conceive of any reason whatsoever that this uncertainty and government incompetence could be a serious problem for people trying to make a living?

I listened to Ian Redmond of Tramline on Newstalk the other day talking about the uncertainty he was facing and the strain in his voice was hard to ignore. He discussed the work done and commitments made to have his business open for the first time in 19 months, and the dismay that a week before the reopening he finds that once again he is being made a total fool of by his country.

Maybe you should go listen to that interview and educate yourself.

I'm curious where you place the blame though.

The % vaccine figures that are presented to us, they not not just Irish citizens, they do actually include foreign born nationals. That 600k you mention includes all ages, so the 300k adults in Ireland, even if they were foreign born nationals, represents a 50% take up, which means we have 100% (Irish born in your eyes) take up of the vaccine.

I haven't heard of anyone trying to blame them. Seems low.

Thank you. You put it way better than I ever could . 👍🏻

• Advertisement

If a person on PUP passed on a job, they they shouldn't be entitled to PUP. That's why the wage subsidy scheme came about. To keep employees on the books so they have a job to go back to. Employer paid a share, government paid a share.

I know there are sunk costs involved in businesses getting back on their feet, but don't make out like employees are in the same boat getting back.

They have PUP or the wage subsidy scheme, to go back on. They are not worse off than a month ago.

I place the blame on NPHET

I was trying to make a point that the Irish have one of the globes best vaccine uptakes, and other cultures don't believe in the vaccine like we do

But we are still the most restricted nation's in Europe

Go figure

We also have one of the highest cases per capita in Europe, is that NPHET's fault? Do you think having such a high case (which relates to deaths and hospitalizations etc..) rate would lead to a slower easing of restrictions or a faster one?

I know you'll say the HSE is lacking ICU and bed capacity, but that's nothing to do with NPHET though.

Would you go away with your xenophobic nonsense!

The worst and loudest anti vaxxer element here, if you look at any of the far right garbage online and who turns up at those bonkers street protests, is absolutely 100% Irish born and bred and usually up to their oxters in online conspiracy theory American politics.

The worst anti vaxxers I know personally are either extremely non scientific hippy dippy types who would probably take it if it were branded “organic”, or those who’ve bought into and swallowed that stuff hook, line and sinker.

One of my not so close cousins, who meets every stereotype of modern hippy dippy type, is a huge anti-vaxxer. None of her household were vaccinated and her whole family got a really bad dose of COVID and two still have long covid symptoms.

The far right types are driving anti vaccine stuff spreading frightening misinformation and out waving their flags and ranting, raving and handing in freemen of the land “legal” documents to people trying to get on with running their businesses and keeping people safe.

They’ve had very little traction, but they’re still obviously worrying a few %.

The cultural issues around vaccines are buy in to modern conspiracy theories. Some places have done better than others in avoiding that, and Ireland has been one to them due to a robust and fairly rational discussion about science and probably due to our relatively smaller population and a political system that hasn’t gone down the populist rabbit holes some places are very much lost in.

We did very, very well on vaccine uptake, and are completely comparable to most of our Northern European neighbours, to Spain and Portugal, most of the sane parts of the US (mostly north eastern states), Canada and parts of Asia, and by the looks of the speed of their later rollout and uptake also Australia and NZ etc.

It’s about present day political culture and that includes most of the people who’ve made Ireland their home. I think there is an element of “would you cop you self on!” in Ireland that managed to play well into this.

Despite the boloxoligy here, one country tops Europe's restrictions polls,Ireland

One country comes near the vaccine uptake , about 92%, Ireland

But I'm xenophobic

This is where we are going when it comes to discussing issues here

A post further back in the thread basically was scapegoating non-irish born people in Ireland for the 8% or so of unvaccinated adults. That’s totally unfair and lacks any statistical or scientific basis whatsoever and doesn’t remotely line up with any experience of anti vaccine issues I’ve seen here, which are being driven by domestic Irish born individuals, even if their ideology seems to be largely coming from the conspiracy fringes of the United States primarily and a global network of organisations that haunts social media.

I mean one of the most prominent anti vaccine people in the world is an Irish college professor.

Some of the worst uptake has also been in rural border counties.

The unvaccinated numbers here are very small but that doesn’t mean they’re not going to cause an issue in terms of hospitalisation etc etc.

The current vaccines don’t seem to limit transmission, but do prevent a high % of bad outcomes. So if you’re unvaccinated, you personally are unprotected and that’s going to be represented as a couple of hundred thousand people , some of whom are potentially going to present in hospital in a bad way. So ideally you’d like to see absolutely everyone vaccinated, but that isn’t realistic.

How you address that, I don’t know, because I think you’re at the 8% or so of unconvincables. You could do a public information campaign or two but I think you’d be wasting your time and you’re not really going to be able to compel anyone to be vaccinated and that hasn’t and won’t happen.

They need to leave the doors open for free vaccines, but I think we could be projecting an issue that they have in parts of the USA and elsewhere onto an Irish population the vast, vast majority of which has fully embraced science.

To be quite honest, I think lecturing the general population about vaccines at this stage would be beyond patronising and insulting.

I still think we have done a poor job on fortifying the public health medicine infrastructure. We seem to be in some weird exceptionalism about antigen / lateral flow self testing, which could be useful if done right and I think there is a very serious lack of recognition by officials about the need to adapt buildings, notably schools, with things like through the wall heat recovery ventilation and portable HEPA filter units.

I can’t understand, for example, why we couldn’t have adapted night clubs and venues, theatres, cinemas etc to have really serious ventilation systems. That could have opened things sooner and safer.

If you want to mandate masks in very tight spaces like public transport, why not do the German approach - FFP2. It seems to work!

We follow the science around vaccines but we have gone full head in sand about other scientific issues and aren’t addressing them at all. We are quick to sneer at the U.K. response but in many ways ours has been as illogical in many areas, even if it has bright spots in others.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Accusing others of xenophobia while stating the following

Some of the worst uptake has also been in rural border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Re nightclubs staying shut….. will Catherine Martín accept that?

what about stadiums? FAI and IRFU are on their knees.

I expect there will be a fudge on nightclubs - reduced numbers and vaccinated only. No reasons why stadiums cannot go to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anecdotally, most of the antivaxxers on FB and Twitter have Irish names and the tricolour on their profiles.

So I'd agree that pinning antivax on immigrants is unfair, at least in terms of who makes the most noise about it.

w.r.t alcohol consumption, apparently Ireland ranks 9th in the world, which is consistent with the implication posted here (presumably by someone who isn't young) that young people will die alone if they can't be shifting the face of each other in nightclubs. But in reality, young people are drinking less than previous generations for various reasons, which must be incredibly disappointing to those with a vested interest.

As for England being an exemplar of drink oriented fun, estimates of non drinking amongst 18-24 are as high as 30%.

The original "Netflix and chill" generation are now in their thirties.

FTB2021, they don't care about the Irish people. When people realise that then it's easy to understand why they're doing what they're doing. And it's not just in terms of covid. They're destroying rural Ireland, they're destroying jobs. What people are calling 'incompetence' and 'flip-flopping' is in fact deliberate. Why do you think they have said nothing, or next to nothing, in 18 months about eating right, being healthy etc? It's because they don't care.

• Advertisement

Who came up with that awful 'antivaxxers' word? Is a person who doesn't take the flu vaccine an antivaxxer? If so then most of the country are antivaxxers because very few people take the flu vaccine.

And I'm not having a go at you, Lumen. I just quoted your post because of the word 'antivaxxer'. I'm just wondering what it actually means. Does it mean that unless you take all of the vaccines that exist then you are against vaccines? I'll have to look for a definition for it.

On the issue of Waterford's high cases and high vaccination rates, I note that UHL has 2.5x the COVID cases of UHW despite being similar in size.

Maybe someone who knows more about how those hospitals operate can comment on whether that's significant.

I used the term in that specific context because I'm referring to people who post unscientific conspiracy nonsense and lies on social media. I'm sure you know what those posts look like, do I need to cite examples? Just look under any RTE story posted on FB.

It's the same idiocy we had with the measles vaccine years ago, but now amplified by social media rather than tabloids.

I get you, but I'm wondering is there a set definition for the term. If it means not taking any and every vaccine then a lot of people are antivaxxers because very few people take the flu vaccine, for example. But they're not actually opposed to the flu vaccine. It's a very confusing term.

The problem is the attitude of the public. They have beaten the public down and know they can blame the public whenever they want to. They've been doing it for the past 18 months. "We can do more" etc. They also known they have an ally in RTÉ and the rest of the media. The biggest problem in Ireland is the media.

And then there's those polls. They always seem to favour lockdowns and the government. The exact same in England as well. The polls always seem to favour and support the government position. Maybe the polls are accurate, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Re nightclubs staff maybe a lot of those staff don’t want to work in enclosed badly ventilated stuffy nightclubs surrounded by drunk ppl -

I can hardly begin to think of a more likely space that covid would spread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nobody is forcing you to go to a night club or a bar for that matter. Just stay at home and be safe.

I have no intention of going - but spare a thought for the actual staff for one minute !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

If they are vaccinated then surely it wouldn’t be any worse for them than before the pandemic.

• Advertisement

My point is that nightclubs - under ventilated, stuffy, enclosed with lots of drunk ppl (let’s be real) who are in close proximity to each other is probably the most risky space for staff in terms of covid transmission

Advertisement