Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The high transmission rate of the virus is why it's still circulating even with highly effective vaccines, the vaccines keep the cases stable and virtually eliminate the threat for the vast majority of society, in countries like the US it's a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

"if" SARS-COV2 had the same R0 as the original SARS virus it would have burnt out long ago without vaccines, but it doesn't and we're lucky that vaccines are able to reduce the transmission and illness rates to the levels they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seriously 😳 below the most vocal anti PUP representatives of various sectors and there's ample examples to be found by googling

Tom Mc Parlon CIF

Adrian Cummins RIA ( Particularly vocal)

Danny Mc Coy IBEC

Duncan Graham RETAIL EXCELLENCE

Noel Anderson LVA (Almost possessed)

Above to name but a few.

Semantics re TWSS or EWSS, you know what I meant and without them, a further 300k would be claiming PUP .

I used the reporting mechanism to explain employers at all times had the option to report if people refusing to return to work.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you get restrictions through this winter, they'll do it every winter.

Post Covid (if it ever happens) we'll have a taoiseach getting battered for the annual flu surge and hospitals being overworked. They'll bring in mask mandates and restrictions to pretend they are doing something. Public health nutters will be demanding it too and they will bow.

This is an every winter thing if it doesn't get stopped now. You don't want your kids growing up saying "back in the Aul lads day they didnt even wear masks in shops at Christmas. Madness".

It gets nipped in the bud now or it never does. People were saying we were batshit crazy for suggesting this not too long ago. Now it is a real possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Why do you go to the trouble of calling it "SARS-COV2" 3 times?

If you just called it covid we would still know what you are on about and it would save you time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

hospital numbers stabilising as per post in other thread. hopefully continues so TDs dont get spooked!

• Advertisement

Below is the most recent (Sept 25th) thing I found from Adrian Cummins on it. Do you accept that there are people not living in the country and still getting it?

I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying TBH.

Why are there over 100000 people on PUP when there are jobs galore all over the country?

Pandemic Unemployment Payment recipients should be asked to present at social welfare offices to prove they are living in the country, according to the head of the Restaurants’ Association of Ireland.

Adrian Cummins told RTÉ’s Saturday with Katie Hannon programme that he believes the social welfare payment is being defrauded and that it is leading to staff shortages in his industry and in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If one would know nothing about the trajectory of this pandemic over the last 18 months and just went with what we knew from respiratory viral diseases in general...

... and then take into account the unspoken strategy of initial mitigation through vaccines and then transforming into a strategy of 'getting on with it' AKA accepting that everyone gets it over time adding covid to a natural flow of ever occurring infectious diseases...

...then not opening up fully in the summer but scheduling it for late October always seemed totally illogical.

And that comes from someone who is firmly in the overreaction-from-the-start, anti-restriction camp. Which I still am, not at all buying into this debate. Just saying another addition to the plethora of actions that dont seem to make sense at all.

He was slaughtered after those outrageous comments, I was actually listening to the show were he made these outrageous claims, he was put back in his box by not only two opposition TD'S but a government junior minister sitting in the studio, search Saturday with Katie Hannin podcast if you don't believe me.

These scurrilous accusations stem from investigations that took place last year at the very start of the Pandemic and as I've stated, there was of course abuses. In the same interview this buffoon was asked would he be as quick to forgo the generous and substantial grants his members are getting , not only was the answer, no, he's looking for them to be extended and for them to be extended.

Adrian Cummins then went on this week to actually suggest hospitality workers may have to go back on PUP (which is closed) as a result of the panic over the possible delay in fully reopening. Hypocrisy at its most galling levels.

To finish, the Hospitality sector as a whole was by far the least likely to avail of wage subsidy supports at the start, they instead told staff, off you go and claim PUP rather than retain, a little rich to be now crying wolf when the very staff they dropped like bad habits, F**KED off and for good.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth there.

"Scurrilous accusations" followed by "there was of course abuses"

Is it too much to ask people on PUP to present in person at a welfare office once in a while? I wouldn't have thought so.

Yes he is right to suggest PUP be reopened, a lot of places have taken on and trained staff in expectation of an increase in business next week, why shouldn't they get PUP if the rug is pulled from under them again?

And seriously,how was any small hospitality business expected to retain staff when they were probably surviving week to week themselves on PUP.

The TWSS was started on 26th March, 10 days after the PUP.

The PUP was the only option for people tossed out on their ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

A friend has starting opening letter with names of people who dont live in the building he is manager with premission of occupants who collect letters in mailbox lots of pup letters ask to verify they are unemployed many not irish names and bank account registered to the house.

I new of people living in lanszarote where getting it there was a recent case where a Mexican and Romainan had it restored citing being at home for medical reasons

SW are good at throwing money away even in overpayments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its frightening that people could not see this. In August the NPHET government announced that all restrictions would be lifted on the 22nd October. There were two really obvious and troubling aspects to that announcement. Considering the stats at the time, why was it going to be over 2 full months before that reopening? And if we could not reopen in August, why on earth would we be able to reopen at the start of the flu season?

These aren't some complicated issues or concepts, these were bone simple problems that a child could have spotted immediately yet anybody who dared to voice them was shouted down by morons.

Intriguing, same snide and offensive responses when people clueless on what they are trying to defend.

If your incapable of finding the podcast for the show were these outrageous statements were made, I'll be glad to help.

He essentially quoted from reports done by the auditor General on investigations done literally 15 months ago, I'm simply confirming of course abuses took place, Cummins was trying to suggest that this disgraceful behaviour was happening up to last Saturday and was roundly critised for essentially claiming the majority of 110k still on pup which includes staff from sectors still closed, partly opened or from business's closed for good were claiming PUP fraudulently . Perhaps you think this is acceptable, I certainly don't nor did the host and 3 TD'S present.

Be under no illusions (albeit perhaps delusions a better word) DEASP Have and do carryout regular checks and cross reference info with Revenue on a weekly basis.

Always wise to understand a topic before going off on an incoherent rant by way of snide insults .

Saturday with Katie Hannon on now, Kingston Mills a guest , rte radio 1 and rte news channel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It would irresponsible for people to travel to America after next month given the situation there.

If this is the way we're going with continued restrictions.

2180 new cases , 406 hospital, down 7, ICU 71, down 2

"Scurrilous accusations" according to some around here.

The Irish will do what they're told, successful Government brainwashing via the media has terrorised People. They have to get 10 vaccine boosters they're be climbing over one another to get it. If they're told to wear 3 masks they'll do it, how many thicks have we seen in car with masks fearful the virus will come through the vents, only person in the car, that's the mentality People have here, terrorised!

If I were to hazzard a guess this is like the aftermath of 9/11, the world will never be the same again and new found Government powers worldwide will go unchallenged as they tell us it's in the interests of public health.

He made an allegation that the majority of PUP recipients are committing fraud? He really said that?

You believe nobody is scamming the pup, and you accuse others of being clueless.

Do you not think its a good idea for PUP recipients to turn up at a welfare office now and again?

A few minutes ago you were berating small hospitality businesses for not retaining staff, even though the TWSS you referenced didn't exist at the time, then you go ranting about not understanding a topic

Now you don't want people back on PUP if they lose their jobs (again) next week if additional restrictions are continued.

I'll refrain from commenting on anyone opening other people's mail (I don't care who they are or what job thay have, there's a thing called return to sender) as most people with common sense know how questionable that practice is, but to say this is how someone assertions wide scale fraud, kind of says it all really 🙄 just extraordinary

Any luck finding that podcast 🙄

• Advertisement

Actually be fair he was quite measured but is saying quite clearly vaccine protection is waning in a large cohort of society, he is very pro antigen testing , Continuing mask wearing and use of covid certs .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seems Glynn has annoyed the government with his work from home announcement.

What an utter clown, this is what happens when people think they've more power than they actually do or should have.

Wide scale fraud, there you go again, the majority of recipients you said, as in over 50%. Adrian Cummins never said that.

I have absolutely not said there's been no fraud, stop trying to twist what I've said, yes he did practically accuse people still on PUP commiting fraud ,DEASP have said themselves over 20,000 have been called in recently and that continues (Cummins hadn't checked his facts) he was referring to a time when SW Were closed, was he suggesting SW call people to a field for a chat , I've not said I don't want people back on PUP (again a twist on what said) I referred to Cummins saying hospitality staff may now need to go back on a scheme he's bad mouthed and critised for more than 12 months.

May I suggest you scroll back , slowly, take your time and actually read what I've said slowly in order to grasp the content before going off on another insulting rant

Your loosing it now, 9/11 wtf 🙄

Keep it up, you might make 300 posts by 3.30pm 🙄

ICU has gone from 66 to 71 in 4 weeks. So at this rate it should be about 80-90 by Christmas.

He didn't give a figure, just generalised nonsense.

So now you agree that PUP fraud is still taking place, but yet its a "Scurrilous accusation"

So now you agree Cummins didn't say the majority on PUP are committing fraud.

He is right to be critical of the pup, the C&AG was also critical of it this month.

So you made up a, whats the word again, oh yeah "Scurrilous accusation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭prunudo

I still can't for the life of me, understand the reluctance by nphet of antigen testing as a tool to fight the virus. Imo, its one of the reasons why our cases are much higher than other European countries. As a rule we wait till we're told to get tested rather than being proactive and checking ourselves.

There was a report the other day too saying they are accurate than first thought.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58899612

Advertisement