Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Ok Just an update,

I sent a package from California to Rome Italy with no tariff code and marked as gift and was delivered successfully not a hassle. Also my package that was returned to Canada was received by my cousin in London just recently again package was marked as gift and no tariff codes written.

Million dollar question, Is it only Anpost who is implementing this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got a small parcel from UK yesterday.

It was sent by standard mail, no c22/c23 or any paperwork on the outside of parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Interesting, if there's no c22 to scan, then there's no test to fail, maybe parcel stays on the conveyer belt to the delivery skip, not auto-fecked into the return skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That's what I'm thinking too but with no tracking and no insurance if it doesn't turn up is a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a worrying trend of An Post sending back parcels etc seemingly on a whim, because they claim "problems with customs declarations".

Now, here's the thing, we got 3 parcels sent to our business, from the same sender, who did the same customs declaration on all of them. One of them made it, I paid the customs charge as usual, the other two were sent back.

More recently a package from experienced online seller in the UK, full customs declaration with commodity code, country of origin etc etc, posted using Royal Mail online service so HAD to have electronic customs done... sent back.. claiming "problem with customs declaration".

To make things more bizarre, today we get a parcel stickered "problem with electronic customs, return to sender" just randomly turn up out of the blue, a couple days previous we got a customs charge for a parcel sent from the EU, that was already delivered.

Anyone else noticed a problem? As if there wasn't enough trouble with An Post I guess we can add this to the list of woes!

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I ordered 4 screws for a TV stand from an ebay UK seller. Got a notification that there was customs due on it and I paid it. Total rip off, ended up costing more than the item + postage because of An Post's flat fee.

I paid the customs on the 24th of September and the package still hasn't been delivered. I called An Post last week and after waiting 20 minutes on hold they just said "Yes, customs are very slow, nothing we can do".

The whole thing is a bad joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭manna452121

Keep a lookout at your TV and newspapers,An Post are planning a major advertisement campaign hoping to let people know the correct way to send or receive their items.They should have done this before the change in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

If it's anything like that flyer they apparently sent to every household in the country then it's a waste of time. They need to publish common root causes, pictures, examples, specific precise guidelines not generalities.

It pains me to do this but I'm conducting my own experiment and routing a couple of packages from smaller suppliers in Asia who just couldn't guarantee they could comply with An Post's standards through AP's address pal service in America as presumably they'll sort out the customs themselves. It's costly, timely, not environmentally friendly and worst of all financially benefits AP but it's the only cast iron way I can think of to receive said packages. It is utterly insane that this seems to be the only logical course of action.

Bucko, what you're reporting is basically the thrust of this 44 page thread. Also covered by #NoPostAnPost on twitter and several articles in, among others, the Irish Times, Mirror and Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

It's all very well and good but they are still putting us in the position where we have to make a specific delivery request regarding the labelling to a seller, a request that apparently no other country requires. It's always going to be a gamble ordering outside of the EU for us now, and the days of receiving surprise gifts from family in the UK/US have pretty much been killed by this too. Try explaining a 6/10 digit CN22 code to your nana who wants to send a jumper over as a present.

It's all damage control for An Post so make themselves look blameless for what is surely going to be a disastrous Christmas period due to returned, late and lost post.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I ordered a DVD for the little one the other day. Was dispatched and sold by Amazon. But was to be delivered by An Post.

Just received a notification of a refund and it says I returned it. The tracking number never even worked on An Post. Said "We haven't received your package yet".

I thought it was safe shopping with Amazon. Is this happening with then now too? Might just order it again. No issues with getting refunds with Amazon.

In this case I'd pop on to chat to Amazon to see what their story is. I've been buying away on Amazon with no issues at all the past few months during all of this with no issues, so this may be an actual case of returned mistakenly (has happened to me many times over the years)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dimaie

In order to convince the general public that the crisis is over, or even better, that there is no crisis at all, it would be nice to have an advertisement campaign to convey the following messages to the general public:

- "An Post did not make this up" - yes, they did. The result of what they did could be described as "too wrong" followed by "too little, too late";

- "It was the 1st in Europe successful implementation of EU rules" - brutal lie, we would barely notice this, if it was a success;

- "Don't buy anything outside EU" - An Post is a service meant to deliver post. Let me to decide where I want to spend my money;

- "We are working hard and we are here to help" - my sympathy goes to An Post front line staff, they are indeed working hard. However the best help would be to deliver the post, not to return it;

And probably the most cynical thing is that all this nonsense would be paid from the taxpayer's pocket.

No but unfortunately some others do, going by some responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

An post keep peddling this line about buying from 'their partners', like they have everything covered. They have 4. Amazon, M&S, Boots and River Island. I must give River Island a shout, see if they have that obscure chainsaw part I'm looking for.

This boastful McRedmond line is breathtaking,

"The new EU customs regime (Ireland is the first country to implement) is very complex for senders"

Ireland is the ONLY country to implement the way you have, A#####le.

And this one;

"We do everything to try to get the parcel to the customer so we will hold as we sort out data"

Absolute Effing lie. They just return. On their own page they say they can't change data. Senders and receiver's have no clue their stuff is returned until it's already gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

All I can say to folks is good luck getting any compensation from An Post, we've about 50 parcels lost or miss-delivered since 2019 that we're still waiting for them to resolve. They used to be reasonable with this and took about 2 or 3 months to either pay out or demand more information, now, zilch.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I find them listing partners pretty bizarre. If you have a system so obtuse or complex that you need to name and advertise a small list of compliant partners then something is wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's a bit like the mob offering protection from themselves 🤣

It's one of those statements when you think - "no, you can't be serious". "Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth" - I think he could personally take part in the creative activity of An Post PR department as their theses do sound very similar.

McRedmond is flat out lying now on Twitter, blaming Revenue for enforcing the new system put in place by An Post. The rules have changed, but he's blaming Revenue for An Posts shortcomings.

Yes. He seems to have snapped a bit. He seems to be suggesting AP's approach has shifted in the background and that they are now completing data. What, if anything, has changed?

I've tagged him in a couple of tweets this morning where people have paid for VAT for the package to be returned to sender, just to soften his cough.

There's an obvious sense of frustration from him against Revenue. There may well be at least something to it. I honestly don't care who is at fault here only that we establish root cause and fix the issue. His public communications here whether true or not only publicise the issue further and at least advance the discussion.

One thing for sure, if only AnPost is presenting a 'Very Complex' postal requirement to International senders, then Ireland will dissappear from the mailing destinations of International suppliers. The idea that thousands of business or private traders worldwide are going to eventually learn a 'Complex' system just for one little market is absurd. We will become and remain pariahs. The pompous audacity of AnPost to think they can dictate this. I've been watching my (returned to) suppliers other deliveries (by just incrementing my tracking no. a digit at a time). It's despairing to see the same goods enter the US and elsewhere, and be delivered within a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Listening to Gold Radio and Blame It On The Pony Express is playing. Can't help feeling the Pony Express would do a better job than AP.

• Advertisement

Funny, he went quiet at the same time as the An Post account there. It's clear as day that back and forth with him are pointless. His arrogance is pretty much everything I expected. And less.

Advertisement