Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I came across another news piece of the lifting of restrictions on the 22nd. It pretty much said face masks are to remain in three settings: healthcare settings, retail and public transport.

Still no mention of other settings like large workplaces that aren't in healthcare or retail.

I can mix with people in shops or on public transport but I can go into work and don't have to wear a face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well if you ever needed proof that masks are psychological and appearances more than anything there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

@NeVeR Has there been any indication as to when mask-wearing will be optional and not mandatory in shops/transport etc?

The legislation for general emergency powers - which still underpins the rules for face masks - was extended in June and doesn’t expire until November.

Likely to come up again in coming weeks so as to extend(11th hour) masks rule over winter. One eye on UK reintroducing masks. When made optional burning desire not to have to reintroduce.

If I was hazarding a guess, not one that I'd endorse, masks could become optional in retail from January 9th and public transport and essential shops from March.

Healthcare settings to remain masked till May.

Masks have been and continue to be a Fiasco.

They have very much gone silent on workplaces that do not have a public facing role. Has the Return to Work Safely Protocol been updated?

The original was very poorly written, it's all about sneeze guards and tissues. Employers had to have masks in the workplace(incase someone got sick) but nobody had to wear them.

The biggest lighting bolt from the May8th publication was the announcement that Covid-19 is spread through speaking. The HSE operated coughing and sneezing as the sole modes of transmission from March through to August. In this regard, this publication was ahead of it's time by 3 months, plus some. The modes of transmission that the HSE updated to included talking loud, singing and shouting.

Speaking is still to be announced as a mode of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

The best expert study out there is real life actually. After about 2 years of this we clearly see that in a truly catastrophic global pandemic with a Black Plague, Ebola or Spanish Flu level of lethality, nobody would have be compelled to wear a mask, stay off the streets or queue up for a vaccine.

• Advertisement

Try posting that again in 5 months time, "about 2 years".

The evidence suggests that all types of face coverings are, to some extent, effective in reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in both healthcare and public, community settings – this is through a combination of source control and protection to the wearer (high confidence)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If you can't wear a mask, wear a visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No buddy, about 2 years is quite correct as there is more and more evidence emerging that China suppressed information about covid and that first cases began to appear around october 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,348 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does anyone know who is technically responsible for enforcing mask wearing on public transport?

There appears to be no shortage of selfish scrounger gimps who have no problems plonking themselves down maskless into a bus or carriage of people who are actually making a effort and considerate of others.

• Advertisement

@Donald Trump AGS of course.

Public transport

To enforce the regulations on the wearing of face coverings on public transport, a ‘relevant person' (public transport operator such as a bus driver or train driver) must first ask an individual to wear a face covering. If the individual refuses, then the relevant person can ask them to leave the public transport or not to get on the public transport. The relevant person can then call the Gardaí for assistance if required.

So if I'm on a train or a DART, and some gimps aren't wearing masks, I can just wait a few minutes until the driver comes down on his regular rounds through the carriages 😁

Does Iarnroid Eireann have zero responsibility for doing any checks?

Or if I'm on a bus and point out to the driver that there are people not wearing masks, can he just shrug his shoulders and say "nothing to do with me". Of course he can do this in reality, but you know what I mean.

Anyone can foresee chaos now when mask restrictions will be lifted elsewhere but not on public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The masks people have on are filthy. People don't replace them or clean them.

This is surely a concern to mask fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its a concern for the wearer as their own bacteria could be building up on it. The most likely source of contamination on a mask is yourself.

Probably the same kinda ppl who dont wash their hands.

I dont see any scenario in which we are better off with such ppl unmasked.

They are still masking respiratory droplets though from perspective of covid and everyone else.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Filthy masks are disgusting. And that's what in shops and buses now.

Some heads have even nicknamed the DART the COVID EXPRESS 😂 Whilst opitcally this may appear to be true on some DARTS(*depending on the relevant person) I've seen some very low CO2 monitor readings from DART journeys thanks to the big doors and open air platforms, seats are well spaced out, better odds.

Sometimes a bus driver will stop the bus and wait for AGS if the unmasked does not dismount or put on a mask as they have the power to do this and stopping a bus is a lot easier than stopping a DART/train on a line.

Only heard of one instance of an IRISH RAIL train stopping/being paused on its journey for AGS, may well have happened more than once, who knows...

Zero data breakdown on the masks fines by mode of transport.

If your pointing out things to a driver, it is probably better and safer for you to inform the driver that you do not feel safe/comfortable with passengers not adhering to current public transport health and safety advice and then asking them are they empowered to do anything.

In each circumstance it is up to a relevant person of staff.

Filthy people are disgusting and have been with us before and after covid.

We are better off with them masked than not.

Really?

Some people haven't changed their masks for months. They wear them so as not to create a drama but they don't actually care.

Surely this is disgusting. I think we could end masks being worn in shops and supermarkets.

I understand that the bus driver can do it, but would the bus (or other transport) company have any responsibility for carrying people who are not obeying the restrictions? They can call the guards. Are they supposed to take some action though?

That action may not extend to confronting the passenger. I'm not saying that. But would they have some responsibility and then be supposed to do something in order to discharge that responsibility

• Advertisement

How do you know? And how do you know they are filthy? Have you checked them for live viruses? Do you inspect masks before people put them on?

I assume you disinfect your car keys, wallet etc after every shopping trip? Fair play. There are sone filthy people who forget to do that. Imagine touching never washed things while shopping.

You probably shouldnt start thinking about all the disguesting non mask related things filthy people are capable of. You may not sleep at night.

Not washing their hands and touching everything you touch. Google norovirus for the craic.

Wearing gloves in winter they never wash and touching everything.

Trigger warning alert: Wearing scarves and snoods in winter all winter. Imagine all the times you should have been faux horrorified pre covid

Sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths / nose or reusing a filthy hankie.

Filthy air.

Given that choice, bring on the masks.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Is it just masks that bother you? What do you think about people or businesses not opening windows and letting in fresh clean air?

Take a look at the amount of taxis that pass you by and driver and passenger wearing masks. I hardly see any windows open.

I was in a public place yesterday where all staff were wearing masks but not one window open. And they had three windows that could be opened. Masks are not the only solution to this. Ventilation is important as well. But why are people so upset about masks but not places opening windows?

Well I agree with you. Tell that to the mask advocates. They see masks as the only solution.

Then why go on about just masks?

People are disgusting and that's before covid. Covid doesn't change how filthy people are. So much people going around with unwashed hands or not washing their hands properly. There's workers where I am who came from a food background, so should be HACCP trained and be able to wash their hands and all they do is wet their hands with water. It makes me absolutely sick with the thought of such filthy people and they used to prepare food. And no doubt there are other people working with food the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you are not touching or wearing the other person's mask then what does it matter if theirs is mucky?

Doesn't affect you in the slightest, and any bugs on their mask are ones they exhaled themselves so it's not likely to be doing them any additional harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

If somebody pops on a clean mask at the start of a shopping trip and leaves it on until they're done - to avoid fidgeting with it - they're accused of all sorts in this thread. How many times have we seen posters mocking people who are wearing masks in their cars or on the street, without knowing the reasons why. A year into this, many people still seem to not understand why we're being asked to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm a frequent mask wearer work, publictransport, shops etc.. I have plenty of masks so only wear once then wash at 60degrees, iron and spray with lemongrass and cedarwood mist. Rinse repeat week to week. My current bugbear is closed windows on the buses but should probably bring that to the ventilation thread. Think I'm going to be wearing masks going foward as I dont find them burdensome and prefer the smell of lemongrass to the public transport smells.

• Advertisement

Advertisement